2019 Final Roster Cuts

coordinator0

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Kenneth Dixon to IR.

This is low key a brilliant move. Kenneth Dixon will probably get the same treatment as Brent Urban. Putting him on IR ensures that we don’t let him go for nothing. He gets paid and stays in the NFL a year longer, we get to keep talent in hopes for a trade or as a backup in the event that things don’t work out with our current RB stable. And if teams have more need for RBs next year we supply them with a talented option. Keeping Dixon via the IR seems like one of those moves that could either net us picks via trade or via compensatory formula assistance a couple years from now.

29 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is low key a brilliant move. Kenneth Dixon will probably get the same treatment as Brent Urban. Putting him on IR ensures that we don’t let him go for nothing. He gets paid and stays in the NFL a year longer, we get to keep talent in hopes for a trade or as a backup in the event that things don’t work out with our current RB stable. And if teams have more need for RBs next year we supply them with a talented option. Keeping Dixon via the IR seems like one of those moves that could either net us picks via trade or via compensatory formula assistance a couple years from now.

I'm confused as to how this works. If he is on IR before the season, then if a team that trades for him can't designate him to return, right? Doesn't a player have to be on the 53 man roster to start the season to be eligible to return? 

Or maybe if its another team that trades for him, he then becomes eligible?

I don't see how this could benefit the Ravens, since Dixon would hit the FA market at the end of the season and go to the highest bidder. The only possible benefit would be comp picks, but I don't think he would be signing a big deal. 

I might anticipate Dixon signs an injury settlement once he is rehabbed and hits the open market sometime this season.  

Edited by AngusMcFife

Crazy just how much things can change in a year. 

- 2018 Week 1 Starting lineup - QB: Flacco HB: Collins/Buck/Dixon WR: Crabtree/J. Brown TE: Boyle/Williams DE: Urban  OLB/EDGE: Suggs/Smith  MILB: Mosley  FS: Weddle

- 2019 Week 1 Starting lineup - QB: Jackson HB: Ingram/Edwards/Hill WR: M. Brown/Boykin TE: Andrews/Hurst DE: Wormley OLB/EDGE: Judon/McPhee MILB: Onwuasor FS: Thomas

Pretty significant.

The shock of the season so far though? Jaleel Scott forcing us to carry 6 WRs because of his incredible play, while Willie Henry and Zach Sieler couldn't even make the 53.... If someone told us that would be the case a year ago, we'd all look at them like they were aliens. 

I like the message EDC is sending and the mentality he's building. You either flash on the field and reap what you earn, or you put yourself in severe danger of being cut. No one gets a pass. DeCosta wants this team young, explosive, and stacked with impact options. Layers of non contributing fat don't get grandfathered in, if there's a malignancy on the 53- it will be removed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm confused as to how this works. If he is on IR before the season, then if a team that trades for him can't designate him to return, right? Doesn't a player have to be on the 53 man roster to start the season to be eligible to return? 

Or maybe if its another team that trades for him, he then becomes eligible?

I don't see how this could benefit the Ravens, since Dixon would hit the FA market at the end of the season and go to the highest bidder. The only possible benefit would be comp picks, but I don't think he would be signing a big deal. 

I might anticipate Dixon signs an injury settlement once he is rehabbed and hits the open market sometime this season.  

I think he sits out the entire season to get one more chance to shine and then resigns with the Ravens next year on a veteran minimum deal.

We then give him another offseason to advertise his services to the league in hopes that a) RB depth in the league gets hit hard and someone is desperate enough to trade a late round pick for him.

Or if we suffer injury to our RB core we’ve got a guy who knows the system, is highly talented, and ensures we keep a lot of RB bodies in camp to avoid further injuries.

I’m not saying he will be of use this season, but his value next season, even if it’s as a talented camp body will be a boon.