College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm a huge Michael Pittman fan, but I don't think he's a great fit in our offense. He's like a taller Hollywood Higgins. I don't think he makes us that much better at WR, where we need a deep burner now that Callaway dumbed himself out of the league.

You're absolutely right. 

Michael Pittman Jr. is definitely not a burner at all and it's most desirable to add a deep speed threat to maximize our offense.

BUT... the way I look at it with Pittman is what would our offense look like with a more twitchy, better deep speed, less functional strength Michael Thomas on the opposite boundary of OBJ. That to me creates it's own gravity; it's own force that commands attention and creates more space for other offensive play-makers. Jarvis and Pittman could be flipped on the slot and boundary based on match-ups.

Also, Pittman has surprising deep speed at least on film. A lot of people are expecting him to run 4.55 but he might legit be a 4,49 timed speed guy that plays at a 4.44 type level. Ultimately, the elite catch-radius, ball skills, spatial awareness, route running, and spatial awareness for Pittman makes him a true WR1. He'll fall because of his timed speed in comparison to the speed forces of Ruggs, Shenault, and Smith. But having a WR1 of the Michael Thomas variety paired with Beckham could be a potent offense.

I'd rather see what becomes of our offense and OBJ with an elite burner on the opposite boundary that prevents the Safety from doubling OBJ. It would be so fun to watch.

My mid round safety crush.

Image result for jeremy chinn

Jeremy Chinn Southern Illinois 6-foot-3, 215 pound safety his best fit is at strong safety. Chinn has decent range and is a reliable tackler. I would select him in the NFL Draft as an answer for more athletic tight ends and slot receivers. Overall, there is value with Chinn as an NFL prospect, which is why I believe we could see him drafted as early as round four. Voted as one of four team captains, he's known for his ball skills and physical demeanor, he's already been named to the Senior Bowl watchlist.

Edited by Horseunit
  • Like 3

Ok so I had a bit of time off of my busy business life to watch some college ball. Watched the Texas Iowa State game. I’m still in love with Matt Campbell. Dude is a coach and a half. It’s freaking Toledo, it’s freaking Iowa State and these kids ball out. (Although I don’t like the 3-and a bunch of stuff defense he plays) Look at Koler as a nice TE prospect. He didn’t have a great game but he’s a player to watch. 

I remember telling you guys to watch out for Sam Ehlinger in his freshman season. It’s been a long road for him so far, but I wouldn’t hesitate to draft him as our back up. I’m not sure he’s a starter, but he’s a bonafide back up. 

And Gardner Minshew, remember that?

Edited by Bonanza23

On 11/18/2019 at 7:20 PM, Horseunit said:

My mid round safety crush.

Image result for jeremy chinn

Jeremy Chinn Southern Illinois 6-foot-3, 215 pound safety his best fit is at strong safety. Chinn has decent range and is a reliable tackler. I would select him in the NFL Draft as an answer for more athletic tight ends and slot receivers. Overall, there is value with Chinn as an NFL prospect, which is why I believe we could see him drafted as early as round four. Voted as one of four team captains, he's known for his ball skills and physical demeanor, he's already been named to the Senior Bowl watchlist.

I thought this said (1st rounder) for a while. I was gonna say...

Oh, and we aren't getting killed by TE's because we can't physically cover them. We get beat with TE's because we play so much zone. It's so easy to find the hole in the defense and sit down in it at the TE position. Any team that employs a TE in the passing game is going to hit him often against zone defenses. If they are smart players, they know how to find the voids against every zone. It's a schematic thing, not a match-up thing.

I hope we morph into being more of a man team in the future. It doesn't allow you to create as many turnovers, but it does play more to our players strengths in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Oh, and we aren't getting killed by TE's because we can't physically cover them. We get beat with TE's because we play so much zone. It's so easy to find the hole in the defense and sit down in it at the TE position. Any team that employs a TE in the passing game is going to hit him often against zone defenses. If they are smart players, they know how to find the voids against every zone. It's a schematic thing, not a match-up thing.

I hope we morph into being more of a man team in the future. It doesn't allow you to create as many turnovers, but it does play more to our players strengths in my opinion.

Great, underrated point about the TEs. The problem is, we don't get a significant enough of a pass rush so that we have to zone blitz behind it in order to get a significant rush, as I keep saying, we need more fresh, young, hungry legs. We only have two real pass rushers, one is suspended, the other is hurt, not good.....

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Draft the 2 best man to man cover corners in the last 4 drafts and then run a zone scheme. Rookie pass rusher has 4.5 sacks and numerous impact plays but trade him because he doesn't fit scheme. Sounds to me like we have a coach who is hell bent on doing things his way regardless of the talent on his team. Never liked the hire and as well as we have held up on defense this season I still believe it is because of talent and not the coordinator. 

I cannot find the gif anywhere but there was recently a gif of a Michigan offensive lineman running a guy all the way of the sideline and burying him on his back. I also recently watched a guy names Ben Bredeson who I was very impressed with. I was looking for said gif to see if it was the same guy. Anyone know? Thanks.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I'm a huge Michael Pittman fan, but I don't think he's a great fit in our offense. He's like a taller Hollywood Higgins. I don't think he makes us that much better at WR, where we need a deep burner now that Callaway dumbed himself out of the league.

You need to check out Jalen Reagor

If we take a WR, he fits best. He also has a punt return for a TD.

JALEN REAGOR

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brownplaque said:

I cannot find the gif anywhere but there was recently a gif of a Michigan offensive lineman running a guy all the way of the sideline and burying him on his back. I also recently watched a guy names Ben Bredeson who I was very impressed with. I was looking for said gif to see if it was the same guy. Anyone know? Thanks.

I saw the play, didn't he pancake him out of bounds? I'm all for cakes and physical play but out of bounds after the play?, eh.......

Assuming we pick around 20, these are my favorite guys in the first 2 rounds

Tristsn Wirfs OT - dominating run blocker has a mean streak. Has some pass protection concerns. Will start immediately at RT

Jalen Reagor WR - dynamic playmaker and punt returner. Legit sub 4.4 speed

Jared Pinkney TE - big reliable TE with some blocking ability. Would pair nicely with Njoku.

Kenneth Murray LB - if we don’t resign Schobert this guy is a no brainer. He reminds me of Lavontae David.

Xavier McKinney SS - Another sound, intelligent Alabama safety.