College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My first clue that Dorsey was a dumbass is when he said he was gonna get “real football players” in here.  It’s not like they were drafting workout warriors or trying to revolutionize anything.

I ******* hated that quote.

I’ve never heard a professional in the NFL at any level say something like that (obviously players talk). He’s just lucky we didn’t have guys like Nick already on the team.

However, is Myles and Larry not football players?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I ******* hated that quote.

I’ve never heard a professional in the NFL at any level say something like that (obviously players talk). He’s just lucky we didn’t have guys like Nick already on the team.

However, is Myles and Larry not football players?

Or Tretter, or Bitonio, or Kirksey, or Schobert....

Right or wrong, in this case wrong, just a dumb statement.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, he SUCKED this year. He sucks in zone and sucks at tackling. His pursuit also sucks.

That said, we took a great man/press man prospect and asked him to play zone and then make tackles on hitch/slants/out patterns.

Greedy Williams sucked? He missed some crucial tackles, but he was far from "bad."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Greedy Williams sucked? He missed some crucial tackles, but he was far from "bad."

Yeah, for a second-round rookie who missed some time AND was playing in a scheme that didn't suit his strengths, I'd say Greedy was pretty solid last year. He played well enough to make me think he has the potential to be a good starter for years to come.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

12 Games, 2 passes defended, 0 INT

Subpar year.

Judging CB’s off of stats is a slippery slope. 

You would have thought Asomugah and Revis were trash during their lockdown days. I’m not saying Greedy was lockdown, but ball production for a DB is dependent on the QB screwing up and making a poor decision. 

I never look at stats for DBs. Largely irrelevant. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You would have thought Asomugah and Revis were trash during their lockdown days. I’m not saying Greedy was lockdown, but ball production for a DB is dependent on the QB screwing up and making a poor decision. 

Yeah. If you're going to judge a CB based on stats, I'd say things like CMP%, yards per completion/target, etc. are a better metric. Even those aren't perfect, though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think stats can be helpful, provided they match they eyeball test.

I thought Greedy was pretty mediocre, and the stats back that up.  He didn’t tackle particularly well (was never his MO), didn’t create turnovers, blanket receivers, etc.  He was just a dude out there.

That said, the scheme didn’t play to his strengths, he dealt with injuries early and just turned 22.  He’s still a baby and has plenty of time to improve.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

To be fair, he was thrown at A LOT based upon scheme, which I'm assuming was a given presupposition of this, since we ran Cover 3/4 almost exclusively and have spoken ad nauseum about this...throw in almost 50 tackles, and that implies being thrown at A LOT.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, he was thrown at A LOT based upon scheme, which I'm assuming was a given presupposition of this, since we ran Cover 3/4 almost exclusively and have spoken ad nauseum about this...throw in almost 50 tackles, and that implies being thrown at A LOT.

The point is, he was better than most rookie CB's that are asked to start in a crap defensive scheme. He's going to be a stud for us in the hands of a good DC. I don't like that he missed so many tackles, but he should never be asked to be that kind of player. Scheme forced him to make several tackles. A lack of safety presence in the alleys forced our CB's to make tackles. Us playing with 2 linebackers 99% of the time forced our CB's to be real edge setters in the defense. Playing zone forces the ball underneath and made our CB's have to tackle in space.

Wilkes was a horrendous coach.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

The point is, he was better than most rookie CB's that are asked to start in a crap defensive scheme.

I think we are relatively on the same page here. What I'm saying is that he was AWFUL in the scheme that we had for him. I'm not blaming him for that. We took a 22 year old Pro Bowl rookie in Ward and put him in it and he was mediocre there too. It's absurd.

He's going to be a stud for us in the hands of a good DC.

I'm not sure if he will ever be a "stud", but I think that he will be solid and do very well in man/press man. I don't see a willing tackler/physical presence there, so that's a weakness in his game that I believe will always be there.

I don't like that he missed so many tackles, but he should never be asked to be that kind of player.

100% agree.

Scheme forced him to make several tackles. A lack of safety presence in the alleys forced our CB's to make tackles. Us playing with 2 linebackers 99% of the time forced our CB's to be real edge setters in the defense. Playing zone forces the ball underneath and made our CB's have to tackle in space.

100% agree.

Wilkes was a horrendous coach.

Wilkes is low key my least favorite Browns coordinator/position coach since Maurice Carthon was our OC.

• Like 1

I don't agree that he's not a willing tackler. He missed on some tackles, but I remember him laying a few good hits last year. It almost seemed like he was trying to dispel the idea that he's an unwilling tackler. But it's totally possible that I'm forgetting moments where he didn't put much of an effort to tackle, but that's been a common theme for our defense for years now.

26 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I don't agree that he's not a willing tackler. He missed on some tackles, but I remember him laying a few good hits last year. It almost seemed like he was trying to dispel the idea that he's an unwilling tackler. But it's totally possible that I'm forgetting moments where he didn't put much of an effort to tackle, but that's been a common theme for our defense for years now.

He didn’t seem unwilling per se,  just not good at it.

Not a huge deal imo if he’s a lock down corner.  Deion didn’t get into the HOF by tackling dudes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DawgX said:

All I can remember is his tackle on Conner in the game they won against the Steelers.