College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001099512/article/lance-zierlein-nfl-mock-draft-10-raiders-pick-wr-jerry-jeudy

Highlights:

(1)3 QB go top-6.

(2) Ceedee Lamb goes pick 21. A trade up to 19 or so would be approved.

(3) Epenesa goes 27. He's worth the trade-up there perhaps šŸ¤”.

(4) Jacob Eason goes 14th. With a little more hype in the coming months...

@Mind Character, fire up the gif.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001099512/article/lance-zierlein-nfl-mock-draft-10-raiders-pick-wr-jerry-jeudy

Highlights:

(1)3 QB go top-6.

(2) Ceedee Lamb goes pick 21. A trade up to 19 or so would be approved.

(3) Epenesa goes 27. He's worth the trade-up there perhaps šŸ¤”.

(4) Jacob Eason goes 14th. With a little more hype in the coming months...

@Mind Character, fire up the gif.

I'm here for the Jacob Eason meteoric rise.

giphy.gif

Interesting to see Andrew Thomas fall past 12. I think that by draft time both Thomas and Wirfs are going to be more mid-round projected guys although.

Much like the top draftnik's I just don't see Wills making it to us.

It would be sickening to see Wills and Kinlaw go right before us as in that mock.

I'd rather trade up for Wills or trade down if Wills, Okudah, Kinlaw, Brown, and Simmons are off the board instead of take Wirfs as a Tackle at 10.

If it's between Becton or Wirfs at 10 as a Tackle, I'm convinced Becton has much more success as a Tackle, and I really think Wirfs is going to struggle for years at that position if forced to play there. Although in Zierlein's mock, I rather have Andrew Thomas over both of them at Tackle.

We needed Larry Fitz to retire and Kingsbury to fall in love with CeeDee Lamb for Kyler.Ā  At this point, we need some prospect hero to jump into that top 10 with the 3 QBs to push one of those guys down to us.

I've given up on the possibility of Wills making it to us. He's too young and too talented.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

Yeah as soon as I watched him I thought Wills was the number 1 tackle.Ā 
Ā 

I get why Jeremiah out Becton to the Giants because Gettleman would be enticed by the size

but for us man Wills is just so smooth he reminds me of Lane Johnson but I think he could play LT no problemĀ 

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I'm here for the Jacob Eason meteoric rise.

giphy.gif

Interesting to see Andrew Thomas fall past 12. I think that by draft time both Thomas and Wirfs are going to be more mid-round projected guys although.

Much like the top draftnik's I just don't see Wills making it to us.

It would be sickening to see Wills and Kinlaw go right before us as in that mock.

I'd rather trade up for Wills or trade down if Wills, Okudah, Kinlaw, Brown, and Simmons are off the board instead of take Wirfs as a Tackle at 10.

If it's between Becton or Wirfs at 10 as a Tackle, I'm convinced Becton has much more success as a Tackle, and I really think Wirfs is going to struggle for years at that position if forced to play there. Although in Zierlein's mock, I rather have Andrew Thomas over both of them at Tackle.

We needed Larry Fitz to retire and Kingsbury to fall in love with CeeDee Lamb for Kyler.Ā  At this point, we need some prospect hero to jump into that top 10 with the 3 QBs to push one of those guys down to us.

I've given up on the possibility of Wills making it to us. He's too young and too talented.

Screw Kliff. I want to grab Wills at 10, then trade our second rounder and franchised-Joe Schobert to the Raiders--bird in the hand, Mayock! Queen could bust!--for pick 19 to grab Lamb. Then we grab whoever is best left of Hunt/Driscoll/Muti/Tega Wanogho/Lemieux/Winfield/Kmet/Harrison/Najee/Terrell/Dantzler maybe in round 3--bada bing bada boom. Most all those dudes will be gone, but one or two may be there for the taking.

• Like 1

Hmmm

Ā 

This could be absolutely nothing, but I find it interesting the Vikings have something in common with Sashi Brown.

Ā 

They both drafted heavily from the ACC and Big 10. A LOT of the Vikings starters are from the Big 10 and ACC. I think intelligence and leadership are more important than we realize to them. No disrespect to the SEC, but theyā€™re not exactly known for book smarts.

22 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Hmmm

Ā 

This could be absolutely nothing, but I find it interesting the Vikings have something in common with Sashi Brown.

Ā 

They both drafted heavily from the ACC and Big 10. A LOT of the Vikings starters are from the Big 10 and ACC. I think intelligence and leadership are more important than we realize to them. No disrespect to the SEC, but theyā€™re not exactly known for book smarts.

Case in point.

ZAHFT6YIBFHNBOJMZ6X5ELEOTY.jpgĀ 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yeah as soon as I watched him I thought Wills was the number 1 tackle.Ā 
Ā 

I get why Jeremiah out Becton to the Giants because Gettleman would be enticed by the size

but for us man Wills is just so smooth he reminds me of Lane Johnson but I think he could play LT no problemĀ 

If Tua was a righty, Wills would have been the LT. They wanted him protecting his blindside

Iā€™ve just been looking through the Vikings draft history under their current GM. Trying to find some comparisons between his philosophy and Sashis. Andrew may be a completely different guy from Sashi. Thereā€™s 2 names that really stick out from what Iā€™ve read:Ā Mekhi Becton andĀ Cam Akers.

Ā 

Bechton is 20, was a team captain, and played in the ACC. He also obviously fits a team need. Heā€™s similar to a Viking Stefanski should be familiar with in Bryant Mckinnie. I know I previously said we WOULD pick Josh Jones because of analytics, but I think I was wrong. This guy fits a lot of criteria. As of today, he is my prediction at 10. Giants are my threat to take him.

Ā 

Cam Akers is also 20 and played in the ACC. I canā€™t find anything about being a team captain. Heā€™s built similar to Chubb. Not sure what we do with Kareem Hunt, but Akers could be insurance policy in the 3rd round.Ā 

Edited by candyman93

At this point in the process, as I've alluded to for quite some time I strongly believe that the only Tackle worth taking top 10 is Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama.

He's special and will be an immediate high quality starter and pro-bowl caliber player.

I don't see the staying power of Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton, or Tristan Wirfs at Tackle in such a way that it should take precedence over any and all trade down scenarios.

If I had to bet on the upside and ability of one of those 3 at 10, I'd edge to Becton as he carries his weight better than Thomas and has higher reliability-factor upside due to reported off-the field intangibles and work ethic in comparison to Thomas' red flags. I've already made the point ad nauseam that Tristan Wirfs will struggle as a Tackle and should be a guard; thus, if considering him as a Tackle then imo there are more preferable options. If a lot of the intel on Thomas is true, he's not a guy we should consider at 10.

Even still, there are better Tackle options that I believe will be more sustainable quality players at Tackle at lower draft capital costs (i.e., Robert Hunt, RT Louisiana-Lafayette, Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn, Prince Tega-Wanogho, LT Auburn).

I have a strong feeling that 2 if not 3 of Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton, and Tristan Wirfs will be on the board during the Browns selection, but it will be important for the Browns to pass on the desire to take one to hopefully fill a need position right away unless we select Wirfs to play Guard (or possibly Becton depending on how the process goes).

Fans will be pissed if we passed on all 3, but ultimately I think that would be the correct decision assuming we either 1.) Trade down and require great value in terms of draft capital for present and future drafts, and 2.) If Jeffrey Okudah is still on the board and we select him.

Outside of selecting Wills, Okudah, or trading down, I can talk myself into scenarios where Javon Kinlaw makes sense at 10. Those 3/4 scenarios are the ones I hope the Browns pursue if possible.

-----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

The Browns Draft Scenarios Ranked by Order of Preference and Desirability:

The Perfect Scenarios:

1.) Select Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama at 10,

2.) Select Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State at 10,

3.) Trade Down (or Trade down multiple times and accumulate quality present and future value before a quality selection)

------------

Scenarios that make some sense and could produce immediate quality starters, but wouldn't be the best use of draft capital

4.) Select Javon Kinlaw at 10,

5.) Select Tristan Wirfs to play Guard, OG Iowa at 10,Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

6.) Select CeeDee Lamb, WR Oklahoma at 10,

7.) Select Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson at 10,

8.) Select Derrick Brown, NT Auburn at 10,

9.) Select Kristian Fulton, CB LSU at 10

10.) Select Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville at 10,

----------

Meh scenarios that would not be a good use of draft capital at 10, but could be quality starters

11.) Select Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama at 10,

12.) Select AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa at 10,

----------

Least favorite scenarios that would not be a good use of draft capital at all due to many red flags

13.) Select Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia at 10,

----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------

Ā 

2020 Mock Draft -- A Likely Top 10 Scenario:

1.) Bengals -- Joe Burrow, QB LSU

2.) Washington -- Chase Young, DE Ohio State

3.) Lions -- Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio StateĀ Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

4.) Giants -- Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

5.) Dolphins -- Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

6.) Chargers -- Justin Herbert, QB Oregon Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

7.) PanthersĀ --Ā Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

8.) Cardinals -- Mekhi Becton, OT Lousiville

9.) Jaguars -- Derrick Brown, NT Auburn

10.) Browns) -- In this scenario, the Browns should pass on Andrew Thomas due to the red flags and seek a trade down. If they stay put, selecting Javon Kinlaw or Tristan Wirfs to play Guard would be desirable options but not more so than a trade down imo.

------------------

Browns Value-Maximization & Trade-Down Full Draft:

1(18-25). **Via Multipe Trade Downs** AJ Epenesa, DE IowaĀ Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

2(41). Robert Hunt, OT/OG Louisiana-Lafayette

2(42-55) **Via Earlier Trade Down** Xavier McKinney, S Alabama

3. Antoine Winfield Jr., FS/SS Minnesota

3.Ā  Ross Blacklock, DT TCUĀ 

4.**Via Earlier Trade Down** Jack Driscoll, RT AuburnĀ Ā Ā 

4. Brycen Hopkins, TE Purdue // Thaddeus Moss, TE LSU // Adam Trautman, TE Dayton

4. **Via Earlier Trade Down** Darnay Holmes, CB UCLA

4.**Via Earlier Trade Down**Ā Troy Dye, Hybrid-LB Oregon // Malik Harrison, Hybrid-LB Ohio State

6. Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia

7. Best RB Available // Best OG Available // BPA

7. Best RB Available // Best OG Available // BPA

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

^
Ā 

Becton will ace the interviews. Iā€™ve readĀ nothing but good things about his character and leadership.

Ā 

Smart enough to have gone to Michigan or Virginia.

Becton is a stud. He's not some fat slob that can't move. He moves like an OT 100 pounds lighter. It's amazing watching him climb to the next level and consistently reach block speed rushers in wide 9's. It looks like CGI.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

watching him climb to the next level

Indeed, he did that with surprising agility for a big man...

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

consistently reach block speed rushers in wide 9's.

Yes and No. I agree and disagree.

Blocking a wide-9 rush end isn't a reach block in the true sense of the term unless there's a defender head up on the Tackle that isn't the wide-9 defender or if the OT has to down the line block a wide-9 aligned defender.

You're right though and it's true that he was able to get to the rush/block leverage point against wide-9 defenders on occasion which is impressive for such a big man, but I'd disagree that he did so consistently in terms of handling speed rushers (not just wide-9 per se). He is an agile, coordinated athlete but his feet in terms of lateral quickness and agility give him some trouble on specific tasks required in a ZBS. He's far more explosive and quick-footed straight ahead or straight back as a linear athlete.Ā 

That's why when he climbs to the second it level it's like watching fleet footed bulldozer. It's a sight to see.

However, if you ask him to kick step out wide with quickness or move down the line and flip his hips with quick change of direction for a cut-off or reach-redirect block he struggles a fair amount to cause some concern.

Horizontal blocking schemes that really require him to reach back, seal off, or cut off zones cause and flip his hips and his blocking angle suddenly give him some struggles.

If I had to bet on Becton or Thomas, it would be Becton all the way, but I still see Becton as a power, agile, man/gap blocking Tackle... not a horizontal flexible hip and change of direction zone or cut off blocker.

Now, it's not like he can't do it at all as is the case for a Stiff from neck to foot and Powerful athlete like Josh Jones who is an exclusive man blocking tackle with worse later flexibility/agility... it's just Becton has limited functionality imo in a ZBS or wide/tight zone heavy offense.

Will be interesting to see if: 1.) He's available at the selection and 2.) How AB and the FO see him.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Indeed, he did that with surprising agility for a big man...

Yes and No. I agree and disagree.

Blocking a wide-9 rush end isn't a reach block in the true sense of the term unless there's a defender head up on the Tackle that isn't the wide-9 defender or if the OT has to down the line block a wide-9 aligned defender.

You're right though and it's true that he was able to get to the rush/block leverage point against wide-9 defenders on occasion which is impressive for such a big man, but I'd disagree that he did so consistently in terms of handling speed rushers (not just wide-9 per se). He is an agile, coordinated athlete but his feet in terms of lateral quickness and agility give him some trouble on specific tasks required in a ZBS. He's far more explosive and quick-footed straight ahead or straight back as a linear athlete.Ā 

That's why when he climbs to the second it level it's like watching fleet footed bulldozer. It's a sight to see.

However, if you ask him to kick step out wide with quickness or move down the line and flip his hips with quick change of direction for a cut-off or reach-redirect block he struggles a fair amount to cause some concern.

Horizontal blocking schemes that really require him to reach back, seal off, or cut off zones cause and flip his hips and his blocking angle suddenly give him some struggles.

If I had to bet on Becton or Thomas, it would be Becton all the way, but I still see Becton as a power, agile, man/gap blocking Tackle... not a horizontal flexible hip and change of direction zone or cut off blocker.

Now, it's not like he can't do it at all as is the case for a Stiff from neck to foot and Powerful athlete like Josh Jones who is an exclusive man blocking tackle with worse later flexibility/agility... it's just Becton has limited functionality imo in a ZBS or wide/tight zone heavy offense.

Will be interesting to see if: 1.) He's available at the selection and 2.) How AB and the FO see him.

In 50 word or less, rank the top 10 tackles for us based on presumptive scheme.

*50 words total, not per player. Ā Sorry to hamstring you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

In 50 word or less, rank the top 10 tackles for us based on presumptive scheme.

*50 words total, not per player. Ā Sorry to hamstring you.

Did it before .. probably at least a trillion words...

On 1/21/2020 at 3:38 AM, Mind Character said:

The following are my Zone-Blocking OT and OG rankings (..Different from my general OT and OG rankings):

***Zone-Blocking Play Traits and Ability Offensive Tackle Rankings***:

The Perfect Fit Targets:

1.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama, 2.) Robert Hunt, RT Louisiana-Lafayette, 3.) Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn

The Overall Zone Blocking Tackle Rankings:

1.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama

2.) Robert Hunt, RT Louisiana-Lafayette

3.) Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn

4.) Prince Tega-Wanogho, LT AuburnĀ Ā  Ā 

5.) Mekhi Becton, OT LouisvilleĀ Ā  Ā 

6.) Austin Jackson, LT USCĀ 

7.) Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech

8.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

9.) Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State

10.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia

11.) Samuel Cosmi, OT/OG Texas

10.) Josh Jones, RT Houston

---------

***Zone-Blocking Play Traits and Ability Offensive Guard Rankings***::

The Perfect Fit Targets:

1.) Netane Muti, OG/OT/OC Fresno St., 2.) Solomon Kindley, OG Georgia, 3.) Shane Lemieux, OG Oregon, 4.) Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa, 5.) Lloyd Cushenberry II, OG/OC LSU, 6.) Daishawn Dixon, OG San Diego State, 7.) John Simpson, OG Clemson

The Overall Zone Blocking Guard Rankings:

1.) Netane Muti, OG/OT/OC Fresno St.

2.) Solomon Kindley, OG Georgia

3.) Shane Lemieux, OG Oregon

4.) Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa

5.) Lloyd Cushenberry III, OG/OC LSU

6.) Daishawn Dixon, OG San Diego State

7.) John Simpson, OG Clemson

8.) Damien Lewis, OG LSU

9.) Ben Bredeson, OG Michigan

10.) Gage Cervenka, RG Clemson

11.) Bryce Meeker, OG-Convert Iowa State