College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

11 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

What are your thoughts on Lucas Niang?

I wanted to like him.

I kept hearing people talk about how good he was and how high he should be ranked.

I kept feeling like I was just convincing myself that he was better than I actually was seeing.

The tough thing about Niang is that he always looks like he's battling a bum knee or injury of some type.

He has solid lateral agility and uses the Packers/Campen/Bulaga/Baktiari outside hold technique really well. He's really stiff, big upper body, smaller lower body, not a strong anchor, and against top competition he gets consistently exposed badly.

Ultimately, I have two main groupings in my mind of players/OLineman: 1.) Starter and 2.) Contributor/Back-Up.

Niang's not an immediate quality or high quality starter. Is he a developmental starter? Maybe, but currently I saw him as a immediate quality contributor with developmental starter upside by the end of year 3.

To me, that's not the type of Tackle I hope the Browns are interested in based on my personal evaluation and assessment.

Then came the head to head match-ups with other prospects where I said to myself "who would trust or bet on to eventually be a quality starter, Josh Jones or Lucas Niang? Jack Driscoll or Lucas Niang? Robert Hunt or Niang?.... and so on and so on until I was looking at a list of 12-14 Tackles (I had Wirfs as a Guard exclusively) that I liked ahead of Niang.

Guys I think are better than Niang:

1.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama

2.) Robert Hunt, RT Louisiana-Lafayette

3.) Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn

4.) Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville         

5.) Prince Tega-Wanogho, LT Auburn

6.) Matt Peart, OT UCONN

7.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

8.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia

9.) Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech

10.) Austin Jackson, LT USC 

11.) Josh Jones, RT Houston

12.) Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cattleman78 said:

What do people think about free agent o.t. Humphries of the Ariz. Cardinals?  I think Conklin stays at Tenn.

Probably the next best thing, but he’s very average on a good day. I think it would end up being an overpay. That being said, not abysmal is the standard we need to look for, not Joe freaking Thomas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

If they wanted him they would have picked up his 5th yr option

I think they wanted to make sure he could stay healthy before investing in him. He proved he can this past year. They’ll try to re-sign him, but ultimately with Derrick Henry and Tannehill blowing up and dragging that team to the AFC Championship game, those two will be the major priorities.

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think they wanted to make sure he could stay healthy before investing in him. He proved he can this past year. They’ll try to re-sign him, but ultimately with Derrick Henry and Tannehill blowing up and dragging that team to the AFC Championship game, those two will be the major priorities.

If I’m the titans, I keep all 3. Get rid of guys like Cam Wake, Daquan Jones, Dion Lewis, and Delanie Walker.

Where they screwed up was paying Roger Saffold as much as they did.

9 hours ago, cattleman78 said:

What do people think about free agent o.t. Humphries of the Ariz. Cardinals?  I think Conklin stays at Tenn.

One thing to realize about Jack Conklin is that advanced analytics have him as the Tackle that receives the most help out of any Tackle in the league on pass blocking sets as evidenced by the Assisted Block metric and True Pass Sets metric (i.e., no assisted sets, no play action, no screens, time to throw at least 2.1 seconds, 5-step concepts/pass drop depth, no roll-outs.)

Conklin's a bit of fools gold when you look at his blocking analytics from that perspective.

So, when you separate out his blocking grade when assisted versus when he's not, he looks like a much different blocker.

The Titans helped him a lot based on his deficiencies and it's important to keep that in mind.

Conklin is a really good run blocker, but as a pass blocker he's not the type of Tackle that you can just sit out there on an island and he'll dominate and play at a high level.

If we want a true Tackle that can do his thing at a high level at tackle, we should look to Anthony Castonzo, OT Colts.

Humphries has trouble in zone blocking tasks.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Mind Character said:

2020 NFL Draft "My Guys"

OTs:

Tier 1

Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama -- (3rd to 12th Overall Pick)

Robert Hunt, OT/OG Louisiana-Lafayette -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Tier 2

Matt Peart, OT UCONN **As a ZBS OT** -- (3rd to 6th Round Pick) .... I've finally seen the Light on Peart as a ZBS OT  @brownplaque @candyman93 @NudeTayne

Prince Tega-Wanogho, LT Auburn -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Tier 3

Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech -- (3rd to 5th Round Pick)

OGs:

Tier 1

Netane Muti, OG/OT/OC Fresno St. -- (1st to 3rd Round Pick)

Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa -- (Top 20 Pick)

Daishawn Dixon, OG San Diego State -- (3rd to 6th Round Pick)

Shane Lemieux, OG Oregon -- (2nd to 3rd Round Pick)

TEs:

Tier 1

Adam Trautman, TE Dayton -- (2nd to 5th Round Pick)

Thaddeus Moss, TE LSU -- (3rd to 5th Round Pick)

Brycen Hopkins, TE Purdue -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Tier 2

Harrison Bryant, TE FAU -- (3rd to 5th Round Pick)

Tier 3

Josiah Deguara, HB/TE/FB Cincinnati -- (5th to 7th Round Pick)

WRs:

Tier 1

Jalen Reagor, WR TCU -- (1st to 2nd Round Pick)

Denzel Mims, WR Baylor -- (2nd to 3rd Round Pick)

Justin Jefferson, WR LSU -- (1st to 2nd Round Pick)

Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia -- (5th to 7th Round Pick)

Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Tier 2

Tyrie Cleveland, WR Florida -- (4th to 6th Round Pick)

Antonio Gibson, WR/RB Memphis -- (4th to 6th Round Pick)

Tier 3

Lynn Bowden Jr., WR/KR/PR Kentucky -- (6th to 7th Round Pick)

DTs:

Tier 1

Javon Kinlaw, DT South Carolina -- (Top 15 Pick)

Ross Blacklock, DT TCU -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Jordan Elliot, DT Missouri -- (2nd to 3rd Round Pick)

LBs:

Tier 1

Troy Dye, Hybrid-LB, Oregon -- (2nd to 5th Round Pick)

Tier 2

Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB Appalachian State -- (2nd to 5th Round Pick)

Malik Harrison, LB Ohio State -- (4th to 5th Round Pick)

Tier 3

TJ Brunson, LB South Carolina -- (5th to 7th Round Pick)

Tier 4

Willie Gay Jr., LBMississippi State -- (5th to 7th Round Pick)

CBs:

Tier 1

Kristian Fulton, CB LSU -- (Top 20 Pick)

Noah Igbinoghene, CB/NCB Auburn -- (2nd to 5th Round Pick)

Tier 2

Darnay Holmes, CB/NCB UCLA -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Bryce Hall, CB Virginia -- (2nd to 3rd Round Pick)

C.J. Henderson, CB Florida -- (2nd to 3rd Round Pick)

Tier 3

Trajan Bandy, NCB Miami -- (5th to 7th Round Pick)

Ss:

Tier 1

Antoine Winfield Jr., FS/SS Minnesota -- (2nd to 4th Round Pick)

Tier 2

Xavier Mckinney, FS/SS Alabama -- (2nd to 3rd Round Pick)

Tier 4

Jalen Elliott, FS Notre Dame -- (5th to 6th Round Pick)

2021/2022:

Tier 1

Jamien Sherwood, NS/SS/LB Auburn

Ultimate "My Guys," Trade Down(s), New Youth Core/Foundation Mock Draft:

Trade 1: Trade Down from 10th to 20s range and receive a 2nd this year; a 4th this year; and future draft capital considerations.

Trade 2: Trade Down from 20s to late 1st and receive a 3rd and 4th this year and future mid/late round considerations.

Trade 3: Trade Out of the 1st round this year to the top of the 2nd round this year and receive a 4th and 5th this year and future draft capital considerations.

Picks Gained this year: a 2nd; 3rd; 4th; 4th; 4th; 5th ... Picks Gained in future drafts: Unspecified but valuable higher and mid round draft consideratins

The Draft (Jedrick Wills goes top 5):

2.) Robert Hunt, OG/OT Louisiana-Lafayette

2.) Xavier Mckinney, FS/NS Alabama

2.) Matt Peart, OT Uconn

3.) Antoine WInfield Jr., FS/SS Minnesota

3.) Troy Dye, Hybrid-LB Oregon

4.) Brycen Hopkins, TE Purdue // Adam Trautman, TE Dayton // Thaddeus Moss, TE LSU

4.) Akeem Davis-Gaither, Hybrid-LB Appalachian State

4,) Noah Igbinoghene, CB/NCB Auburn // Darnay Holmes, CB/NCB UCLA

4.) Daishawn Dixon, OG San Diego St.

5.) Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia

6.) Tyrie Cleveland, WR Florida // Antonio Gibson, WR/RB Memphis

7.) Josiah Deguara, TE/HB/FB Cincinnati

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If I’m the titans, I keep all 3. Get rid of guys like Cam Wake, Daquan Jones, Dion Lewis, and Delanie Walker.

Where they screwed up was paying Roger Saffold as much as they did.

They can’t afford to sign Tannehill to a big deal, Henry to a historic deal, and then sign Conklin. They’ll let their RT go. 

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Ultimate "My Guys," Trade Down(s), New Youth Core/Foundation Mock Draft:

Trade 1: Trade Down from 10th to 20s range and receive a 2nd this year; a 4th this year; and future draft capital considerations.

Trade 2: Trade Down from 20s to late 1st and receive a 3rd and 4th this year and future mid/late round considerations.

Trade 3: Trade Out of the 1st round this year to the top of the 2nd round this year and receive a 4th and 5th this year and future draft capital considerations.

Picks Gained this year: a 2nd; 3rd; 4th; 4th; 4th; 5th ... Picks Gained in future drafts: Unspecified but valuable higher and mid round draft consideratins

The Draft (Jedrick Wills goes top 5):

2.) Robert Hunt, OG/OT Louisiana-Lafayette

2.) Xavier Mckinney, FS/NS Alabama

2.) Matt Peart, OT Uconn

3.) Antoine WInfield Jr., FS/SS Minnesota

3.) Troy Dye, Hybrid-LB Oregon

4.) Brycen Hopkins, TE Purdue // Adam Trautman, TE Dayton // Thaddeus Moss, TE LSU

4.) Akeem Davis-Gaither, Hybrid-LB Appalachian State

4,) Noah Igbinoghene, CB/NCB Auburn // Darnay Holmes, CB/NCB UCLA

4.) Daishawn Dixon, OG San Diego St.

5.) Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia

6.) Tyrie Cleveland, WR Florida // Antonio Gibson, WR/RB Memphis

7.) Josiah Deguara, TE/HB/FB Cincinnati

tl;dr you're ready to do your walkthemock; epic trade-down haul.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

One thing to realize about Jack Conklin is that advanced analytics have him as the Tackle that receives the most help out of any Tackle in the league on pass blocking sets as evidenced by the Assisted Block metric and True Pass Sets metric (i.e., no assisted sets, no play action, no screens, time to throw at least 2.1 seconds, 5-step concepts/pass drop depth, no roll-outs.)

Conklin's a bit of fools gold when you look at his blocking analytics from that perspective.

So, when you separate out his blocking grade when assisted versus when he's not, he looks like a much different blocker.

The Titans helped him a lot based on his deficiencies and it's important to keep that in mind.

Conklin is a really good run blocker, but as a pass blocker he's not the type of Tackle that you can just sit out there on an island and he'll dominate and play at a high level.

If we want a true Tackle that can do his thing at a high level at tackle, we should look to Anthony Castonzo, OT Colts.

Didn't realize Conklin was getting that much help. As far as Costanzo, been mentioning him here and there for a bit as the guy I believe it's the just realistic Mr. Right Now for free agency. He'd be a nice grab.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Didn't realize Conklin was getting that much help. As far as Costanzo, been mentioning him here and there for a bit as the guy I believe it's the just realistic Mr. Right Now for free agency. He'd be a nice grab.

Castonzo makes a ton of sense, but I thought they resigned him. They should. 

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

So he’s like a better nate solder? When solder was on the pats everyone thought he was great yet gronk was always lined up next to him blocking. I’d still take a chance on him. He’s still young and can develop he’s missed a good amount of time and has a lot of talent.