College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Geoff Schwartz is a jackass

Anyone who sports the name, "Geoff" immediately loses all of my respect.

Cam Erving is still terrible.

It was the right move to not re-sign Schwartz. He was not this good for us and it's not like he showed us any loyalty. It's revisionist history to say we should have re-signed him, but I was part of the "let him walk" clan. In all of our front office blunders, letting Schwartz walk wasn't among the most inconceivable.

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

May be the most overrated player on this roster....

I mean, maybe?  

Outside of Ward, Myles and maybe Larry, I’m not sure there’s anyone who’s even in the conversation as being a better player defensively though.

We don’t get better by letting good football players walk.  Especially when their salary can be covered by cutting dead weight/mediocre players.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Linebacker is just a tough decision to evaluate.

The Chiefs have absolute no name  scrubs at linebacker.

However the Patriots last year had insane linebacker play.

Just decide how you want to win games and go from there.

The Chiefs are built to be ahead/rush the passer based upon their explosive offense with that DL/Secondary and therefore don't care about "stopping the run" as much, very similarly to the Manning Colts.

45 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

It was the right move to not re-sign Schwartz. He was not this good for us and it's not like he showed us any loyalty. It's revisionist history to say we should have re-signed him, but I was part of the "let him walk" clan. In all of our front office blunders, letting Schwartz walk wasn't among the most inconceivable.

He had a great rookie season and a great 4th season. His 2nd and 3rd seasons weren’t very good. He was still worth it to resign just because prior to him the Browns struggled to find a legit starter at RT

15 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

May be the most overrated player on this roster....

He’s a pretty bad run defender. I can’t count how many times I seen him get run over. Great coverage guy tho. I’m not sure how rated he is outside of Cleveland tho. Pretty sure Odell is our most overrated player. 

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

He had a great rookie season and a great 4th season. His 2nd and 3rd seasons weren’t very good. He was still worth it to resign just because prior to him the Browns struggled to find a legit starter at RT

He was terrible in the run game. He would routinely get blown backwards. He was a huge glaring weakness in the run game here. He was always solid in pass pro. He'd get blown back, but wouldn't let the DL get behind him.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He definitely is. He's a good starter, but he's not some can't replace guy.

He’s been our best off ball linebacker since our return in ‘99.

You can’t be both the best in 20 years and replaceable.

I get he’s not Patrick Willis, but we aren’t getting a better player in FA nor are we getting better by letting him walk.

Maybe in 2-3 years we’ll have a stud LB group and can cut him, but right now he’s literally the only viable starter on the roster (assuming Kirksey is cut).

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, maybe?  

Outside of Ward, Myles and maybe Larry, I’m not sure there’s anyone who’s even in the conversation as being a better player defensively though.

We don’t get better by letting good football players walk.  Especially when their salary can be covered by cutting dead weight/mediocre players.

I agree with that, but if he's asking Kuechly money, he can kick rocks. We need to have a plan for him if we do resign him, they need to get a stout DT in front of him to protect him from the traffic and let him flow free like when Shelton was here IMO

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s been our best off ball linebacker since our return in ‘99.

You can’t be both the best in 20 years and replaceable.

I get he’s not Patrick Willis, but we aren’t getting a better player in FA nor are we getting better by letting him walk.

Maybe in 2-3 years we’ll have a stud LB group and can cut him, but right now he’s literally the only viable starter on the roster (assuming Kirksey is cut).

I am not giving him him elite starting ILB money. That's my point.

21 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I agree with that, but if he's asking Kuechly money, he can kick rocks. We need to have a plan for him if we do resign him, they need to get a stout DT in front of him to protect him from the traffic and let him flow free like when Shelton was here IMO

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I am not giving him him elite starting ILB money. That's my point.

18 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Heard he was asking for a Shaw Thompson type deal

4 years 54.2 million 28 guaranteed 

I’d probably do the Thompson deal tbh.

Make the first two years essentially guaranteed and be able to cut bait after 2 years if we need the money for other deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’s a pretty bad run defender. I can’t count how many times I seen him get run over. Great coverage guy tho. I’m not sure how rated he is outside of Cleveland tho. Pretty sure Odell is our most overrated player. 

But Beckham's upside is still elite, and his issues were injury related as well as not being on the same page with Baker. I cant say this about Schobert, he is what he is at this point, can we honestly say he can get significantly better, I don't think so.

48 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He definitely is. He's a good starter, but he's not some can't replace guy.

That being said, I'd work hard to get him back. I don't want another hole to fill on the roster.

I would resign him for cohesion sake but I also have seen teams go the rotation route where they get a really good 2 down guy and substitute him for a good coverage guy on 3rd down too for half the price

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1