College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

All I’ll say is ya never know.  This time a few years ago D’Quan Bowers was “a lock” to go top 5, maybe 1 overall.

Crazy things happen.

Talk about a player who I totally forgot even existed, haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Too many teams need a CB, too many teams could use a CB, and it's a position of importance. And Okudah is excellent.

I absolutely agree with you that Okudah doesn't make it to 10.

Keyword that I used in the phrase, "There's a chance Okudah could be acquired," was the word acquired meaning via trade.

FGK laid out the points well in scenarios that if Detroit decides to go elsewhere, Giant's go OLine or big man as they've been rumored to be focusing on, Miami+Chargers go QB) ... moving from 10 to 7 or so is feasible if those teams are willing to trade.

@freakygeniuskid fgk is also right that there's a rising perception in various analytics communities that coverage is more important than pass rush when when it comes to predicting metrics related to winning and stopping Offenses/QBs. A lot of this has to do with how easily the quick pass game and schemed throws can neutralize an elite pass rusher. That is not to say that pass rush isn't vitally important because it is.

This topic was primarily discussed in a 4-part series of PFF, Football Outsiders, and others starting with some articles like https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-data-study-coverage-vs-pass-rush  

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Josh Allen fell

wpeople fall all the time

does anyone else think Jason Peters might be a stopgap option for us with Berry’s Philly history now?

How Berry views older stop gap vets is a mystery...

We've been so accustomed to the Sashi-DePo-Berry era where older players have to go, but that may have also been more of a contextual focus due to the early stages of the rebuild and not a hardline strategy of theirs.

If we did sign Peters, I doubt it would be for much and I also think for a team like ours he'd be looking for bigger money although for a team closer to winning/competing for the super bowl he might take a discount. So, there might be an impasse in future negotiations with him and his representatives should negotiations occur. 

So, all in all, I don't think he'd be much of a reality for the Browns.

Edited by Mind Character

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

How Berry views older stop gap vets is a mystery...

We've been so accustomed to the Sashi-DePo-Berry era where older players have to go, but that may have also been more of a contextual focus due to the early stages of the rebuild and not a hardline strategy of theirs.

If we did sign Peters, I doubt it would be for much and I also think for a team like ours he'd be looking for bigger money although for a team closer to winning/competing for the super bowl he might take a discount. So, there might be an impasse in future negotiations with him and his representatives should negotiations occur. 

So, all in all, I don't think he'd be much of a reality for the Browns.

Why would Peters come here though?

Likely better opportunities for a guy chasing a ring.

5 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

For sure. But OT is deep as heck this year. If we can get Okudah, with the new analytics stuff that corner might be even more important than pass rusher for shutting down the pass... man that would be tempting. Especially with Ward's injury history.

This is it in a nutshell.

Nothing wrong with building on some semblance of strength discounted for sign of a possible weakness there.

This discussion is getting interesting.

I just posted elsewhere that I am considering mis-/over-evaluation of talent as one of the reason this team last year as a whole was way less than the sum of its parts.

I think that CB is one group we consider better and more reliable than the players are.

No problem at all taking Okudah at 10 if he somehow is there.

Probably would not trade up for him, however.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why would Peters come here though?

Likely better opportunities for a guy chasing a ring.

You're right.

We agree.

That's why I said, "for a team like ours he'd be looking for bigger money although for a team closer to winning/competing for the super bowl he might take a discount...So, all in all, I don't think he'd be much of a reality for the Browns."

13 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Back to the fun stuff.......

Maybe this is due to MWC competition, but OH MY GOODNESS!!

Can you imagine Curtis Weaver opposite Myles Garrett? I think the proper term is Good Night Irene!

He's a tough one to project, as he dominated in a weak conference. I see a solid build and a quick first step, good hand usage but didn't see any bend. I hear late first round to late third round--seems to have wide disagreement as to what level of talent we are looking at.