College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

He's a tough one to project, as he dominated in a weak conference. I see a solid build and a quick first step, good hand usage but didn't see any bend. I hear late first round to late third round--seems to have wide disagreement as to what level of talent we are looking at.

Good analysis - but that is where NFL caliber coaching comes into play

• Like 1

I may have an new favorite LT prospect. Mekhi Becton of Louisville.

The first thing that jumps off this clip at you is his size. He is not only large, he is Johnathan Ogden large. He uses that size well to be an absolutely punishing road grating blocker. But then the really impressive traits - how well he moves with all that size.

There are technical flaws as well. He must develop one stance fits all plays. I saw him with leg extended and almost standing up - signalling a sure pass play coming up. If I, a scout wannabe watching a YouTube clip can spot that, I imagine Bill Callahan already has an answer for that.

Enjoy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

I saw him with leg extended and almost standing up - signalling a sure pass play coming up. If I, a scout wannabe watching a YouTube clip can spot that, I imagine Bill Callahan already has an answer for that.

Watching the video, you see him and the RT doing that on 3rd and longs or pure passing downs for their offense. So they might be coached up to go into a 2pt stance and get into their pass set quicker. It’s a passing situation for them so they don’t care if the defense knows because of their stance. Defense already knows that from tendencies from past games most likely. 

watching more of the video you posted. The tackles for Lville do it once or twice on 3rd and less than 5 but they were pass plays. Seems like they are coached to do that. Not him having a lazy stance or a bad stance. He gets into his pass set just fine out of a 3 pt stance

4 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

I may have an new favorite LT prospect. Mekhi Becton of Louisville.

The first thing that jumps off this clip at you is his size. He is not only large, he is Johnathan Ogden large. He uses that size well to be an absolutely punishing road grating blocker. But then the really impressive traits - how well he moves with all that size.

There are technical flaws as well. He must develop one stance fits all plays. I saw him with leg extended and almost standing up - signalling a sure pass play coming up. If I, a scout wannabe watching a YouTube clip can spot that, I imagine Bill Callahan already has an answer for that.

Enjoy.

Man I’m just concerned with Baker he’s already short enough should we really be looking at the tallest tackle available?

and if we want to run a ZBS is he athletic enough to consistently get to the outside?

Becton isn’t as nasty as I’d like, but it’s not like he’s soft. He’s a giant that can pass protect at a high level and get to second level defenders like a guy 100 pounds lighter than he is. He has elite tools and is not overly raw either. 

He would be a fine pick in R1 at 10 or really anywhere. I have a feeling he shows up to the combine much lighter and goes in the top 8 though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Man I’m just concerned with Baker he’s already short enough should we really be looking at the tallest tackle available?

and if we want to run a ZBS is he athletic enough to consistently get to the outside?

well his RT in college was 6'8 and Becton is 6'7, so he wouldnt be the tallest lineman Baker has played with

L'ville is a zone scheme team

• Like 3

22 hours ago, brownie man said:

I say we draft an offensive tackle who is so tall that we need a new quarterback to take over, tall enough to throw over the guy. @MWil23

On 2/8/2020 at 12:16 AM, brooks1957 said:

Can you imagine Curtis Weaver

I mean .. I can imagine him being buttcheeks ...

he's exactly the type of sloppy-bodied, no twitch/explosiveness, no heavy hands punch, no speed or bend college defensive end that goes on to be a non-entity, non-factor at the next level in the league ...

... whether he's there in the 2nd or whether he's there in the 3rd round ... it won't be a value pick because he's not going to make a quality impact in the NFL ..

there's going to be a wide spectrum of disagreement on him in scouting rooms ..

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

I mean .. I can imagine him being buttcheeks ...

he's exactly the type of sloppy-bodied, no twitch/explosiveness, no heavy hands punch, no speed or bend college defensive end that goes on to be a non-entity, non-factor at the next level in the league ...

... whether he's there in the 2nd or whether he's there in the 3rd round ... it won't be a value pick because he's not going to make a quality impact in the NFL ..

On that note (and I can never tell if you are serious or not) - doesn't he remind you then a bit of James Harrison? He displays the "bull in the china shop" mentality, only at 80 mph.....

I think in our defense, with so much attention being paid to Myles, he could flourish. If he is still there in round 3, I am probably making him a member of The Pound.

58 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

On that note (and I can never tell if you are serious or not) - doesn't he remind you then a bit of James Harrison? He displays the "bull in the china shop" mentality, only at 80 mph.....

I think in our defense, with so much attention being paid to Myles, he could flourish. If he is still there in round 3, I am probably making him a member of The Pound.

He's a really nice college player and has really accumulated production numbers tremendously.

James Harrison had power and functional strength and set an edge forcefully against the run... Curtis Weaver does not play with power or functional strength and gets easily bullied in the run... Weaver also doesn't play with the forceful mentality Harrison played with. He also doesn't have the get off of Harrison.

He's more of a Nate Orchard without the forceful mentality but with more hand combat moves.

IMO, Weaver's just the type of player that people take in the 2nd or at the top of the 3rd that is a waste of a pick b/c he has no real upside to be a quality starter in the nfl. It would be better to take a swing on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round that needs some development but has the traits to eventually start.

He's also the type of routinely out of shape player that won't put in the time to refine his body and game. There are certainly worse players we could select in the draft but I wouldn't be fan of a Weaver selection. He doesn't fit the smart, tough, and accountable profile as he has deficiencies in toughness and accountability/work ethic.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

He's a really nice college player and has really accumulated production numbers tremendously.

James Harrison had power and functional strength and set an edge forcefully against the run... Curtis Weaver does not play with power or functional strength and gets easily bullied in the run... Weaver also doesn't play with the forceful mentality Harrison played with. He also doesn't have the get off of Harrison.

He's more of a Nate Orchard without the forceful mentality but with more hand combat moves.

IMO, Weaver's just the type of player that people take in the 2nd or at the top of the 3rd that is a waste of a pick b/c he has no real upside to be a quality starter in the nfl. It would be better to take a swing on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round that needs some development but has the traits to eventually start.

He's also the type of routinely out of shape player that won't put in the time to refine his body and game. There are certainly worse players we could select in the draft but I wouldn't be fan of a Weaver selection. He doesn't fit the smart, tough, and accountable profile as he has deficiencies in toughness and accountability/work ethic.

Cool - moving on then. Thanks for 411  - I hadn't seen enough of him to know