College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I actually think Becton is a good fit for the offense we’re gonna run with his athletic abilities, I’m also intrigued to see what Callahan can do with all those impressive raw tools

Yeah people think he’s a power tackle given his size. But the dude was awesome in a ZBS in college. 

59 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah people think he’s a power tackle given his size. But the dude was awesome in a ZBS in college. 

There's no doubt that he has a ton of upside and has some familiarity with Zone concepts, but saying Becton was awesome in "ZBS" last year is a real stretch imo.

Satterfield's offense this past year was heavy heavy on pistol, a quick play-action game, and inside zone calls with very few outside zone calls sprinkled in.

People that think he's a power tackle because of his size aren't paying attention.

But he's best as a power, gap scheme Tackle imo not because of his size but because of his displayed play traits and decision-making.

The calls where they had outside zone Becton display routine issues in blocking decision-making and hip inflexibility to quickly flip or change direction for a seal off or cut off block. He often chooses the wrong defender ti block which visibly upset his Guard and RB at times on those play calls. He struggles locating when he has to get horizontal fast and cover a lot of ground for stretch looks.

Out of all the Tackles we all talk about he also had the fewest number of True Pass Sets based analytical breakdowns as he often receives help via a help blocker or schemed help.

There's a lot to like and Becton has a lot of upside, but if we set aside Becton's size and just look at his blocking instincts, decision-making technique, and ZBS play traits, there's quite a few better options. In the end you can't teach size and that will likely win the day and make him a top 5 pick.

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

There's no doubt that he has a ton of upside and has some familiarity with Zone concepts, but saying Becton was awesome in "ZBS" last year is a real stretch imo.

Satterfield's offense this past year was heavy heavy on pistol, a quick play-action game, and inside zone calls with very few outside zone calls sprinkled in.

People that think he's a power tackle because of his size aren't paying attention.

But he's best as a power, gap scheme Tackle imo not because of his size but because of his displayed play traits and decision-making.

The calls where they had outside zone Becton display routine issues in blocking decision-making and hip inflexibility to quickly flip or change direction for a seal off or cut off block. He often chooses the wrong defender ti block which visibly upset his Guard and RB at times on those play calls. He struggles locating when he has to get horizontal fast and cover a lot of ground for stretch looks.

Out of all the Tackles we all talk about he also had the fewest number of True Pass Sets based analytical breakdowns as he often receives help via a help blocker or schemed help.

There's a lot to like and Becton has a lot of upside, but if we set aside Becton's size and just look at his blocking instincts, decision-making technique, and ZBS play traits, there's quite a few better options. In the end you can't teach size and that will likely win the day and make him a top 5 pick.

I watched 3 games. He looked fine reach blocking on outside zones.

My big concern with him is can he pass protect? He wasn't asked to take very many traditional pass drops. I was Orlando Brown's biggest supporter a few drafts ago, but I had the same concerns with him. He was hardly ever asked to take a traditional pass set, as everything mimicked run blocking. He does just fine in play action protection, but I wonder if he can consistently keep up with speed coming off the perimeter. He is excellent in the run game and I have very little concerns there in either a man or zone scheme. I just wish we saw more tape of him pass protecting in a traditional sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horseunit said:

@Mind Character  Which of these scenarios do you think would be the best fit? 

1. Robert Hunt at RT with Netane Muti at RG.

2. Robert Hunt at RG with Jack Driscoll at RT.

3. Netane Muti at RG with Jack Driscoll at RT.

I see Hunt going as early as the end of round 1 and the other two somewhere round 2/3

It's a great question and a tough one.

Right now, option 1 is the one, but option 2 is intriguing.

I really believe in Hunt's ability to be a dominant ZBS Tackle at the next level though I think he'd be a tremendous Guard as well.

The key in a ZBS is the Center and the Guard. They are the most important people on the Offensive Line and have to make the most critical and tough decisions and cover the most ground and have the most athletic flexibility.

So, I'm tempted to put the best player out of the group you listed (Robert Hunt) at Guard.

Jedrick Wills Jr. RT // Robert Hunt RG would be unreal to see though Muti and Hunt could be a devastating duo as long as Muti stays healthy and Hunt continues building functional strength.

I love JC Tretter but at some point we're going to have to invest in a high quality Center that can reach block b/c if JC goes down the whole offense comes undone.

15 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

I want the baddest mofo team on the planet. get me Bronson Rechsteiner, Robert Hunt, Netane Muti, Josiah Deguara, and Sewo Olonilua.

Where do you see these players realistically going in the draft (not necessarily how high should they go but how high you think they'll go)?

I'm wondering if we could get them all PLUS a blue chip talent who fell to 10 like Okudah, Brown or Simmons.

23 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Where do you see these players realistically going in the draft (not necessarily how high should they go but how high you think they'll go)?

I'm wondering if we could get them all PLUS a blue chip talent who fell to 10 like Okudah, Brown or Simmons.

Robert Hunt High 2nd round

Netane Muti if medicals check out Mid 2nd round. If medicals are a concern 4th round.

Josiah Deguara between 4-6 round.

Sewo Olonilua 6th round.

Bronson Steinbecher 7th round.

I would trade down from 10 and take Robert Hunt at the bottom of round 1 and be really happy with that.

I also am trying to find a way to get Antoine Winfield Jr. but I think Winfield, Hunt, and Muti could all realistically be taken in round 2.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So we all just ignore the fact this kid as been on the Brian Cushing/Scott Steiner/Steve Lattimer .... “training protocol”?  😂 

Cheesecake Factory back parking lot sources say his "leader of men" is a big as Baker's. 

The roids are strong in that guy but so are those highlights.

a.little roid-gate locked room controversy ... Sounds fun...