College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

If Wills and Becton are off the board when we pick (likely) what would everyone think about signing Jason Peters to start for 1 year, taking Simmons or Brown at 10 and Tega-Wanogho in the 2nd? This gives us a veteran to start now while Tega-Wanogho develops and should be ready to start the following year, and we add talent to a defensive unit needing it. Just thinking out loud but that wouldn't be a bad outcome, imo.

16 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

If Wills and Becton are off the board when we pick (likely) what would everyone think about signing Jason Peters to start for 1 year, taking Simmons or Brown at 10 and Tega-Wanogho in the 2nd? This gives us a veteran to start now while Tega-Wanogho develops and should be ready to start the following year, and we add talent to a defensive unit needing it. Just thinking out loud but that wouldn't be a bad outcome, imo.

Unless they see a glaring red flag with one of the top 4 tackles, that’s who I want at 10.

I also don’t think that Simmons or Brown will be there at 10, but if they are then just go BPA.

I can’t help but think Wirfs or Thomas at 10 would be a damned fine round one though.

• Like 3

I would like to see us grab one of the tackles at 10, and somehow be able to swing Zach Baun in rd 2, and Winfield in rd 3.  Might even be willing to trade both 3's to get into the 2nd, if that's what they believe it takes to get Winfield.

We are super thin at LB and S, and I don't see this draft as being super strong at those positions.

Also would like them to take a look a Jeremy Chin at S.  Small school kid that is big....  6'3 220.  He is a guy that could go in rd 3 or 4.

1 hour ago, MarkPrice25 said:

Jason Peters worked well as a mentor splitting snaps with and helping prepare rookie Andre Dillard. He could do the same thing here and could be a stop gap assuming we go BPA instead of taking the 4th "best" Tackle in a lot of people's minds.

Of course we'd have to sign Jason Peters now before the draft occurs as insurance against us missing out on one of the Browns top Tackle targets via the draft.

I think that scenario that you laid out is likely the approach given that the Cardinals now signing Jordan Phillips at DT to pair with Zach Allen DE (that takes them out of the Derrick Brown market). Hopkins takes them out of the WR market. Pat Pete and Byron Jones take them out of the Okudah market. I mean I guess they might take Isaiah Simmons but everyone in league Circles thinks it's Tackle all the way.

Giants and Cardinals are both taking Tackles. Panthers, Chargers, and Jacksonville may as well. Even assuming that it's just the Giants and Cardinals that likely means Wills and Becton are gone well before 10.

I'd rather Tega-Wanogho or Robert Hunt at Left Tackle than taking Wirfs at 10 who will likely be there. I'd also prefer Andrew Thomas over Wirfs.

Trade-Downs and Get Nuts Mid Free-Agency & Build Roster Mock

Browns Trades Summary:

1.) Trade 1: Trade Down from 10th to 13 to 18 range receive a 2nd and 5th this year and a future 5th round pick.

2.) Trade 2: Trade Down from 13-18 to 24 to 28 range to receive a 2nd and 4th round pick this year and a future 4th round pick

3.) Trade 3: Trade Up from top of the 3rd round to Bottom part of the 2nd round in order to select Antoine Winfield Jr.

Picks Gained this year: 2nd; 2nd; 2nd; 5th... Picks Gained in future drafts: 2nd; 2nd; 3rd; 4th.

The Draft

1.) Jeff Gladney, CB TCU

2.) Denzel Mims, WR Baylor

2.) Jonathan Taylor, RB Wisconsin // D'Andre Swift, RB Georgia

2.) Zack Baun, LB Wisconsin

2.) Antoine Winfield Jr., SS Minnesota

3.) Robert Hunt, LT/RT/OG Louisiana-Lafayette

4.) Troy Dye, LB Oregon

4.) Jack Driscoll, OT Auburn 

5.) Tony Brown, WR Colorado 

6.) Daishawn Dixon, OG/OC San Diego State

7.) Trajan Bandy, NCB Miami

7.) Lynn Bowden Jr., WR/KR/PR Kentucky // Joe Reed, WR/KR/PRE Virginia

** Tony Brown, WR Colorado is now one of my favorite players in the entire draft and an all-my-guy first teamer... his competitive fight and natural feel for the game and route running is exceptional.

Edited by Mind Character

13 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Something is telling me that the nerds will trade down and add picks before settling for a T they do not like.

Yeah, it is the right move after a solid free agency. We have a bunch of holes on the roster and need depth and a few starters. 

After we miss out on a very good tackle at 10 we will take advantage of the depth of the draft and position ourselves to have flexibility to move on from 1 of pur two wrs, add competition to our linebackers and defensive backs. 

Flexibility will be our goal im guessing.

Edited by Kiwibrown

The Believe 18 -- My Final Refined Stand On the Table "My Guys" List of Prospects I Completely Believe In:

(** Excludes Chase Young and Joe Burrow**)

RBs

Jonathan Taylor, RB Wisconsin

D'Andre Swift, RB Georgia

Zack Moss, RB Utah

WRs

Denzel Mims, WR Baylor

Tony Brown, WR Colorado

Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC

TEs

Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame

OTs

Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama

Robert Hunt, LT/RT/OG Louisiana-Lafayette

Jack Driscoll, OT Auburn

OGs/OCs

Daishawn Dixon, OG/OC San Diego State

LBs

Zack Baun, LB Wisconsin

Troy Dye, LB Oregon

CBs

Jeff Gladney, CB TCU

Jeff Okudah, CB Ohio State

SSs

Antoine Winfield Jr., SS Minnesota

STs

Lynn Bowden Jr., WR/KR/PR Kentucky

Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia

Edited by Mind Character

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Mind Character no love for Wirfs at G eh?

Didnt you day he’s Nelson level good?

Fixed evaluations in the presence of more diagnostic data only reflect the inability to adjust and admit misperceptions and misevaluations. That hyperbole was based on a non-representative exposure to a limited sample of Wirf's play but most importantly was devoid of the reality check that qualitative data regarding Wirfs' mentality that gave context to his on-field performance.

Once exposed to more qualitative data about Wirfs along with watching a more complete sample size of his games. I updated my evaluation. And I do months ago far before others even had really watched him, far before anyone started to question Wirfs, as well as far before people lost their minds over his combine testing numbers making him their OT1.

That list above was players I absolutely believe in and my belief in Wirfs even at Guard is not absolute but it is colossally more so than Wirfs at Tackle.

He has the raw ability and potential at Guard to exceed Nelson, but I have questions regarding the mystery door of his Mentality.

His flash plays are otherworldly, but mentality effects the ability to improve technique, how one competes on a down to down basis, etc

Ultimately, if a prospect with amazing raw ability shows bad technique but a scout finds out they got bad coaching and the player is a workaholic, that scout is likely to bet on that player's next level success.

From middle school to high school athletic coaches and trainers, they all have provided context to Wirfs low lows of not playing with the dog in 'em or passive technique.

Quenton Nelson neither had the athleticism or the high level flash plays of Wirfs, but he was a dog of dogs every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Wirfs will easily be better than Nelson if his competitive spirit and the dog in em will hunt.

Having that dog mentality is about intuitive feel and instinctual ways of being. A deficiency of feel for the game, instincts, and natural ways of aggression are what Wirfs lacks. It's why given the full picture of things with Wirfs, months ago I no longer saw him in that Nelson category; however, he has every ounce of raw ability to exceed him.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Fixed evaluations in the presence of more diagnostic data only reflect the inability to adjust and admit misperceptions and misevaluations. That hyperbole was based on a non-representational exposure to not only the full breadth of Wirf's play but most importantly the qualitative data regarding Wirfs' mentality that gave context to his on-field performance.

Once exposed to more qualitative data about Wirfs along with watching a more complete sample size of his games. I updated my evaluation. And I do months ago far before others even had really watched him, far before anyone started to question Wirfs, as well as far before people lost their minds over his combine testing numbers making him their OT1.

That list above was players I absolutely believe in and my belief in Wirfs even at Guard is not absolute but it is colossally more so than Wirfs at Tackle.

He has the raw ability and potential at Guard to exceed Nelson, but I have questions regarding the mystery door of his Mentality.

His flash plays are otherworldly, but mentality effects the ability to improve technique, how one competes on a down to down basis, etc

Ultimately, if a prospect with amazing raw ability shows bad technique but a scout finds out they got bad coaching and the player is a workaholic, that scout is likely to bet on that player's next level success.

From middle school to high school athletic coaches and trainers, they all have provided context to Wirfs low lows of not playing with the dog in 'em or passive technique.

Quenton Nelson neither had the athleticism or the high level flash plays of Wirfs, but he was a dog of dogs every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Wirfs will easily be better than Nelson if his competitive spirit and the dog in em will hunt.

Having that dog mentality is about intuitive feel and instinctual ways of being. A deficiency of feel for the game, instincts, and natural ways of aggression are what Wirfs lacks. It's why given the full picture of things with Wirfs, months ago I no longer saw him in that Nelson category; however, he has every ounce of raw ability to exceed him.

And I was thinking I asked more or less a yes/no question... 😂