College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

Cardinals resigning of Marcus Gilbert coming off of an ACL injury where he missed the Cards season ... Could it just be a depth signing in the event that their Tackle of choice isn't available at their draft position? Likely.

But I'm still holding out hope for any sign that the Browns can get Wills.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Cardinals resigning of Marcus Gilbert coming off of an ACL injury where he missed the Cards season ... Could it just be a depth signing in the event that their Tackle of choice isn't available at their draft position? Likely.

But I'm still holding out hope for any sign that the Browns can get Wills.

They have not prioritized the line, hopefully they fall in love with a skill player. 

Simmons, okuda, cant see them going wr. 

Cant see a scenario where we do not get 3rd or 4th go at tackle though. 

I really hope there is a run on qbs. 

3 qbs. 

Okuda

Young 

Simmons 

Maybe 1 wr if we are lucky. 

Who do you see going top 10?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

How about we stop trying to fix OT with Trent Williams and just draft one of the superstar prospects for 15 years?

Maybe because it is not that easy since we do not know which, if any, of the top 3-4 OL are "superstar (LT) prospects"?

For my money, Becton is the only potential "superstar prospect", and that's potential that might not be realized.

Thomas, imo, will be better than average but not a "superstar prospect" or even probowl caliber.

Wills could be but, again, that's a projection since he is an RT and it assumes a smooth transition without loss of strengths.

And Wirfs arguably shouldn't be on any list of "superstar prospect" LTs, or list of LTs, for that matter.

8 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Maybe because it is not that easy since we do not know which, if any, of the top 3-4 OL are "superstar (LT) prospects"?

That’s what scouting is for. And it’s nit like it’s a hot take. Just about everyone loves these OTs. 

...and how is Trent Williams a sure thing?

For my money, Becton is the only potential "superstar prospect", and that's potential that might not be realized.

Why?  Because he’s athletic and big? The other OTs are great athletes and not deficient in any way. They are very polished. 

Thomas, imo, will be better than average but not a "superstar prospect" or even probowl caliber.

Why tho?

Wills could be but, again, that's a projection since he is an RT and it assumes a smooth transition without loss of strengths.

He is the best technical pass blocker in the class. I’m sure he will be fine at LT. 

And Wirfs arguably shouldn't be on any list of "superstar prospect" LTs, or list of LTs, for that matter.

Simply don’t agree, but this isn’t a wild opinion. Many people believe this as well. I don’t. 

40 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

That’s what scouting is for. And it’s nit like it’s a hot take. Just about everyone loves these OTs. 

...and how is Trent Williams a sure thing?

Why?  Because he’s athletic and big? The other OTs are great athletes and not deficient in any way. They are very polished. 

Why tho?

He is the best technical pass blocker in the class. I’m sure he will be fine at LT. 

Simply don’t agree, but this isn’t a wild opinion. Many people believe this as well. I don’t. 

- Lets be honest, Trent. Williams is more a sure thing than any of those OL prospects. He's been in the league, there is no adjustment to speed, he already knows the scheme and the same OL coach. He will be motivated to show the Redskin franchise that he is still the top (or one of the) OTs in the league. This is literally a plug and play situation, the only thing that would be an issue is injuries, but if you incentivize his contract, you'd be surprised how hard guys play to get paid.

- As far as Becton (Who I think is similar to Trent Williams) being unpolished, this is a non issue to me, all he has to do is work on his pad level and angles, this is where a guy Bill Callahan becomes so valuable. He developed  D'Brickashaw Ferguson into an All-Pro, Turned Tyron Smith into one of the best LTs in the NFL,  did the exact same thing with Trent Williams at Washington. Callahan's calling card as an OL coach is taking athletically talented OT and refining them into refined studs, I have no reason to think he couldn't do the same thing with Becton (or any OT) for that matter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

They have not prioritized the line, hopefully they fall in love with a skill player. 

Simmons, okuda, cant see them going wr. 

Cant see a scenario where we do not get 3rd or 4th go at tackle though. 

I really hope there is a run on qbs. 

3 qbs. 

Okuda

Young 

Simmons 

Maybe 1 wr if we are lucky. 

Who do you see going top 10?

No WRs Top 9; No Derrick Brown Top 9; No Tristan Wirfs Top 9.

Players I see going top-9 with a high degree of confidence

1. Joe Burrow, QB LSU
  2. Chase Young, DE Ohio State
  3. Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State
  4. Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama
  5. Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
  6. Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson
  7. Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville
  8. Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
  9. Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

If the Browns are super lucky indeed a WR or Derrick Brown o top 9 which would push someone down to 10.

I don't see teams spending a top 10 selection on a Nose Tackle with a limited pass rushing skill set based on positional value.

I think scouts and FO execs will see Wirfs as a Guard and/or too raw at Tackle for top 9 only because of the other quality players available in this draft.

I think those players above go top-9. In that scenario, I hope we trade down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Becton is an interesting prospect, there hasnt been a good 360 pound tackle in a long time. 

Obviously I am a mear fan and not an NFL football professional talent assessor, but I would take the chance on Becton.

Seems his floor is a better than average LT.

• Like 1