College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Obviously I am a mear fan and not an NFL football professional talent assessor, but I would take the chance on Becton.

Seems his floor is a better than average LT.

Especially as a left tackle, just a brickwall for the blindside. 

If he is humning along well by week 8 our line will be great. 

13 hours ago, Mind Character said:

No WRs Top 9; No Derrick Brown Top 9; No Tristan Wirfs Top 9.

Players I see going top-9 with a high degree of confidence

1. Joe Burrow, QB LSU
  2. Chase Young, DE Ohio State
  3. Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State
  4. Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama
  5. Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
  6. Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson
  7. Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville
  8. Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
  9. Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

How I see the Top 9 Playing Out:

1. Bengals - Joe Burrow, QB LSU
  2. Washington - Chase Young, DE Ohio State
  3. Lions - Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State
  4. Giants - Mekhi Becton, LT Louisville
  5. Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
  6. Chargers - Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama
  7. Panthers - Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson
  8. Cardinals - Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
  9. Jaguars - Justin Herbert, QB Oregon
  10. Browns - ?????

This is how it is likely going to play out. It's going to be a shame when all the fan masses lulled to sleep by the Wirfs the Combine Uber Athlete Iowa OLine Factory OT1 propaganda will be jubilant and in bliss as they glad hand each other with "we got our Tackle for years to come" comments knowing not what they speak or what is to come.

Derrick Brown, Tristan Wirfs, Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, and Javon Kinlaw will be the premium persons still on the board.

In a perfect world, the Browns catch Trade-Down madness and get wild. More likely though they'll take their gamble on WIrfs or gamble on interior pass rush production from Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw. The knee concerns and tendinitis from Kinlaw at such a young age makes that too much of a risky selection. We've seen how knee issues can spiral down a career in short order (Todd Gurley). Derrick Brown might not offer enough interior pass rush or pocket disruption to legitimize the pick based on positional value.

CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy won't likely be selected.

So, who do we target in a trade down?

To me, the Browns will trade down and target Austin Jackson, LT USC in the mid-20s, or in a shocker signaling that they will be moving to Joe Woods' preferred 34-scheme the next year they'll target K'Lavon Chaisson, 34OLB LSU. The latter would make me ill; the former could end up becoming an all-pro by year 3 or 4.

Overall, it makes me think one thing: Andrew Berry is going to aggressively trade up to get his guy whether that be Wills, Becton, or Thomas.

Edited by Mind Character

12 minutes ago, brownie man said:

@Mind Character

i think your just preparing yourself for a worst case scenario that’s not going to happen 

the Chargers are going to draft a QB and a Jacksonville won’t take a tackle

no way in hell Chargers go into 2020 with just Tyrod that’s not going to happen 

There's a lot of smoke from all kinds of lesser known behind the scenes and well-known public draftnik scouting figures (i.e., Daniel Jeremiah) that suggests that the Chargers do not see Justin Herbert as a top 10 QB1, and that they are Tua or bust.

If that's true, that means they are taking a Tackle or they are taking Isaiah Simmons in my mock scenario. There's also the chance that they trade down with the Browns given Andrew Berry and Tom Telesco's close working relationship and friendship.

It doesn't seem to make sense now, but I'm telling you some of the QB needy teams are going to be angling for 1 of Trey Lance, Trevor Lawrence, or Justin Fields as primary options with Jamie Newman and D'Eriq King being highly regarded but less valued relative to Lawrence, Fields, and Lance.

Tom Telesco marches to the beat of his own drum. Everyone is thinking they have to take a QB, but he's the type that he's not going to spend a pick on a guy he doesn't believe in. Justin Herbert is not not everyone's cup of tea much like Josh Allen and Josh Rosen before.

Jameis Winson, Cam Newton, and potentially Andy Dalton are still out there. There's a lot of time (maybe even more than we know currently) between now, the draft, and the start of the season. The Chargers have a wide variety of options.

With the Jaguars moving Cam Robinson to Guard as has been expected, there's no better time to take a Tackle.

It is my worst case scenario, but I honestly think it's more likely than not at this point, especially if Telesco isn't all in on Herbert as his Franchise QB. He doesn't want to get Trubisky'd.

A Question for MC or others 

Greetings to all. I have closely followed all NFL and AFL drafts since 1965 and have always enjoyed the drama, risks, good moves and inexplicable stupidity which can come in it.

Almost every year, some team will make an Early first round foolish choice from seemingly out of the blue. Examples include Tyson Alualu, Leroy Keyes and many, many other names which were drafted earlier in the round than Manziel. 

So my question this year is who will do it and when in the first round. 
Thank you. 

17 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Unless the plan is to fortify the right side of the OL and snare an eventual LT later in the draft even if we pick up Peters or Williams, this is disturbing:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/27/browns-will-have-a-virtual-visit-with-top-ot-prospect-tristan-wirfs/

Anyone else seeing talk of virtual visits with any other prospects?

There’s a public health crisis going on. This is the best option they have. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Unless the plan is to fortify the right side of the OL and snare an eventual LT later in the draft even if we pick up Peters or Williams, this is disturbing:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/27/browns-will-have-a-virtual-visit-with-top-ot-prospect-tristan-wirfs/

All the clubs bettter be doing this

the Nfl should have it set up where the calls are timed and players sign into a network where the talks can be monitored. Teams are given a certain amout of talks and they’re all timed and enforced. 

I can’t believe the league won’t set something like that up 

27 minutes ago, bruceb said:

This is smart given the circumstances.

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

@Mind Character

i think your just preparing yourself for a worst case scenario that’s not going to happen 

the Chargers are going to draft a QB and a Jacksonville won’t take a tackle

no way in hell Chargers go into 2020 with just Tyrod that’s not going to happen 

LAC probably either goes QB or OT. Jacksonville will very much be in play for an OT as I'm pretty certain they're going to give Minshew the chance to be their starter this year.