College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, Horseunit said:

Two names that interest me in drafting strictly from the fact that from all accounts I'm hearing they live, breathe, eat, and sleep football are Jerry Jeudy and Marlon Davidson.  

Yes

Hes an unsung hero at auburn. He’s gonna be a solid DT for many years.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Yes

Hes an unsung hero at auburn. He’s gonna be a solid DT for many years.

I like all of Auburn's DL for where they're slotted to go in the draft.

1. Derrick Brown
---Unreal talent. Elite DT prospect that is right there with Chase Young for the top player in the draft, IMO. Reminds me of Ndamukong Suh.

2. Marlon Davidson
---Very talented player that has pass rush and run stopping ability. Reminds me of Sheldon Richardson at his best.

3. Nick Coe
---Another inside/outside tweener. I think he's a 34 DE or a situational 43 rush DT, but he's played all over. Reminds me of Tyrone Crawford with his length and athleticism.

Antonio Gibson getting loose on SMU from the 1st to 4th Quarter in every way imaginable be it Deep vertical route TD, kick return TD, Dragging and bouncing off people for a 70+ highlight run, Acrobatic catches, turning nothing into something in the run and pass game, precise routes.

This wasn't the only game in his boom season like this.

He had to sit behind Darrell Henderson (3rd Round Pick; fringe 2nd) and Tony Pollard (4th Round Pick) for most of his career but he finally got his time to shine.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Mind Character said:
On 4/7/2020 at 8:27 AM, MWil23 said:

What's interesting to me is what I've said all along, pure grades aside.

If we used that PFF charting to Draft a Tackle this is what the draft board should look like:

1.) Tristan Wirfs

2.) Andrew Thomas

3.) Josh Jones

4.) Jedrick Wills Jr.

5.) Mekhi Becton

---------

So, why don't we just use that chart as the end all be all for who's the best Tackle to select? It's clear in those numbers who the clear choice should be, isn't it? The run blocking analytics have Josh Jones even higher. So, the numbers must prove Josh Jones is better, right?

We should take Josh Jones at 10 over Wills and definitely over Mekhi Becton according to those numbers.

Expert scouts and personnel guys have access to that same data and even more parsed and refined analytic analysis, but by overwhelming consensus none would have Josh Jones over Jedrick Wills or Mekhi Becton and few would see Josh Jones and Andrew Thomas as close.

Are they just wrong? What factors are they looking at? Is there context missing in those numbers (i.e., Level of Competition, Plays that look like down-grades to a coder but actually aren't, Plays that look like up-grades to a coder but are actually should be down-graded plays, how the player looks while blocking, what the snap wins and what the losses look like, offensive scheme, etc)?

So, what does it all mean?

Ultimately, Numbers are a tool of understanding real life phenomenon.

Numbers/Analytics can lie, but the Tape doesn't.

Ultimately, all that matters is the context of play; the numbers in context as tool of understanding, but ultimately it's the traditional football scouting analysis that should inform the numbers/analytics and thus should have more weight in understanding what's real and what's not.

If you think those numbers are justification for why Wirfs is not a Guard prospect but all Tackle, then you're missing everything to begin with.

What's more interesting/odd to me is how every year someone pulls up a PFF grade chart as the gold standard that overrides traditional football scouting analysis instead of viewing such charting as being subject to more important contextual factors, as well as the data/event coders tape watching decisions.

Buddy, don't ignore the context of my quote. It was especially that I'm a huge Thomas BELIEVER and huge Becton NOT BELIEVER. I think Thomas is a legit stud LT, has the tape, and has the upside to match. He played in a Pro Ready scheme and demonstrated tremendous pass pro ability, especially coupled with being a mauler in the run game. I understand the hesitancy based upon the ZBS scheme fit with issues about his balance in the run game in terms of "finishing", but I will not hear about anyone else, aside from perhaps Wills, mentioned being better than him. I'm personally in this camp:

1. Thomas (Great tape, great analytical data, 3 year starter at LT, the most potential/upside of anyone)

2. Wills (But I'd be happy if they got him instead of Thomas, I'd just prefer Thomas)

3. Wirfs (Cautious optimism, even if he "busts" at OT, he may be a future Pro Bowl OG)

4. Becton (Body size issues, build issues, scheme fit issues to go with him being the anti-analytic pick)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Antonio Gibson getting loose on SMU from the 1st to 4th Quarter in every way imaginable be it Deep vertical route TD, kick return TD, Dragging and bouncing off people for a 70+ highlight run, Acrobatic catches, turning nothing into something in the run and pass game, precise routes.

He had to sit behind Darrell Henderson (3rd Round Pick; fringe 2nd) and Tony Pollard (4th Round Pick) for most of his career but he finally got his time to shine.

excellent sleeper

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mind Character said:

First of all, 3:50 is probably one of the best displays of strength/phone booth quickness I've seen in my life. 👀

I get a lot of Percy Harvin vibes with him, I absolutely love the guy 

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

4. Becton (Body size issues, build issues, scheme fit issues to go with him being the anti-analytic pick)

I think these are all made up arguments to support people's argument not to like him. If anyone has seen him in or out of his pads, he wears he weight very well. I could see if he was sloppy, but he's not. Could he go down to 350, sure but to day it's an issue is a bit of a reach IMO, also what scheme issue are you talking about? He played in the scheme we are currently implementing. And him being anti analytic, I mean, he ran a 5.1 at 365, I mean if that isn't what you classify as a physical freak....

Tbh, I don't see one legit argument that would cause me drop him on my board like he got destroyed against Clemson or ND or an individual player. (And PFF doesn't count). I just think people unfairly nitpick at him and don't have any legit argument (not just you @MWil23) to support, just ranting....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think these are all made up arguments to support people's argument not to like him. If anyone has seen him in or out of his pads, he wears he weight very well. I could see if he was sloppy, but he's not. Could he go down to 350, sure but to day it's an issue is a bit of a reach IMO, also what scheme issue are you talking about? He played in the scheme we are currently implementing. And him being anti analytic, I mean, he ran a 5.1 at 365, I mean if that isn't what you classify as a physical freak....

Tbh, I don't see one legit argument that would cause me drop him on my board like he got destroyed against Clemson or ND or an individual player. (And PFF doesn't count). I just think people unfairly nitpick at him and don't have any legit argument (not just you @MWil23) to support, just ranting....

The scheme we are using, if anything, calls for smaller linemen. Throw in his awful analytics grades on isolation pass pro, and I'm a known hater of his. I'm just calling it like I see it. For him to succeed at how big he is would be an anomaly, not the norm. His 1 on 1 pass pro is bad, his college scheme doesn't translate well or easily into today's NFL, and Thomas and Wills are better, not to mention my belief in Wirfs.

JMHO