College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Your bring up pro bowls, which is extremely watered down now since the likely starters don’t play because they are in the Super Bowl. Hell Trubisky is Considered a pro bowl QB

Villanueva played WR his first year or two at West Point, before they moved him to being a down lineman.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Villanueva played WR his first year or two at West Point, before they moved him to being a down lineman.

Your right how come your draft people were only able to draft 2 and 1 of them was Myles

• Like 1

Late in the process one of my favorite guys who's tape has grown on me to the point he's now a "my guy" is Rashard Lawrence, DT/NT LSU.

He plays with his hair on fire and has some the highest flash plays that exceed Derrick Brown's highest level plays.

Unfortunately, he has a lot of medical flags. If the combine recheck cleared him in the Browns FO's mind, he's going to be a steal of steals in the 4th or 5th round.

He has enough medical concerns in a strange year of medical check barriers that he's going to slide a long way in the draft.

He flashes outside pass rush when used as a 43DE and displays a high level of movement skills for such a big guy. For some odd reasons, those pass rush skills wane when he's lines up inside, but from time to time he gets busy. Has the disposition, strength, and mentality to play the run at a high level, but a bum shoulder that consistently gives him problems prevents him from going all out on consecutive plays.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Late in the process one of my favorite guys who's tape has grown on me to the point he's now a "my guy" is Rashard Lawrence, DT/NT LSU.

He plays with his hair on fire and has some the highest flash plays that exceed Derrick Brown's highest level plays.

Unfortunately, he has a lot of medical flags. If the combine recheck cleared him in the Browns FO's mind, he's going to be a steal of steals in the 4th or 5th round.

He has enough medical concerns in a strange year of medical check barriers that he's going to slide a long way in the draft.

He flashes outside pass rush when used as a 43DE and displays a high level of movement skills for such a big guy. For some odd reasons, those pass rush skills wane when he's lines up inside, but from time to time he gets busy. Has the disposition, strength, and mentality to play the run at a high level, but a bum shoulder that consistently gives him problems prevents him from going all out on consecutive plays.

Yes. I like him a lot if he makes it to our pick.

17 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Personally, no. If this team drafts him, neither are they.

Yes I would love to see him pull right as Pittsburgh blitzes bush and Dupree blocked leaving nobody on contain Chubb takes off and goes for 80 yards.

Edited by mtmmike
omotion

20 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

As good at filling holes as that plan is, that's a ton of money tied up to the OL now and in the near future. If we swing for Trent Williams (I doubt it now) we'll probably trade down or take the best defensive player available. 

You’re right and I understand why you say this.

My own reasoning would be to create a special offensive line similar to the Redskins of the 80’s / Broncos of the 90’s.

Edited by candyman93

10 hours ago, zelbell said:

Is anyone else worried about Wirfs playing LT? Him playing RT in college concerns me

He played three games there this year because of an Alaric Jackson injury. Looked fine in them as far as I can recall.

I feel like since he's a guy who's gonna need some pass set technique adjustments at the pro level (his tight feet shuffle), the RT to LT transition is just baked into the time I'm assuming it will take him to fix his pass set issues. It's the biggest reason that he's dropped to the #3 tackle for me, I think he's gonna need an adjustment year and I think we should be competing to be a wild card team right away. Whereas I think Thomas and Wills can lock down LT at a solid (if not spectacular) level from day one.

3 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Yes I would love to see him pull right as Pittsburgh blitzes bush and Dupree blocked leaving nobody on contain Chubb takes off and goes for 80 yards.

Wirf pulling doesn’t make that play. That all comes down to Conklin making the reach block on one of The Steelers stud DEs. Especially if both ILBs are blitzing, means DE is prolly stunting outside 

37 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If we did a Njoku trade, Harrison Bryant would be a phenomenal #2 TE.

Even if we didn’t he’d be nice to have and redshirt/bring along slowly if they’re not committed to Njoku long term.

Hell even if they did it never hurts to have 3 solid TE’s if you plan on running a lot of 2 TE formations.

Additionally, it’s probably the slowest developing position, so having someone young and developing at all times isn’t the worst idea.

45 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Wirf pulling doesn’t make that play. That all comes down to Conklin making the reach block on one of The Steelers stud DEs. Especially if both ILBs are blitzing, means DE is prolly stunting outside 

The point on the play is speed transferred to power against  linebacker

Conklin on that play would  be assigned to block Pittsburgh lde on his right shoulder 

creating 240 linebackeragainst a against tackle that’s was running.

Sorry about the vagueness but I do not want to get to technical with this group.

once again I really enjoy your posts in all regards.

Edited by mtmmike
Omitted

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Even if we didn’t he’d be nice to have and redshirt/bring along slowly if they’re not committed to Njoku long term.

Hell even if they did it never hurts to have 3 solid TE’s if you plan on running a lot of 2 TE formations.

Additionally, it’s probably the slowest developing position, so having someone young and developing at all times isn’t the worst idea.

Absolutely this. I like Bryant but he would NOT be a good #2 TE this year because rookie TE's are never good. The position just takes too much adjustment at the pro level. It's the main reason I don't get the "dump Njoku" sentiment. At this point, it's pretty clear from the Hooper contract what the FO thought of the rest of the FA and draft TE's.