College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

6 minutes ago, BiscuitBrown said:

Trade up no higher than 5 for Derrick Brown!!! Could you imagine a Fletcher Cox caliber player in between Myles and Richardson 👀👀👀. btw Larry O. has regressed to a spot starter. 

Larry O. wasn't that bad.
I'd love to get Derrick Brown though. He is elite.

Let’s face it our run defense was horrendous!! Derrick would absolutely transform our entire defense to be elite. We suffered from not having interior  

Agree completely. Although a lot of that was scheme and our players giving up on the coaching staff late in the year.

This draft class has more offensive tackle talent than in the last 12 years. You can easily grab starters in round 2 and 3.. There also more OT depth in Free Agency and the draft than DT depth.. 

No it doesn't. It has 3 awesome OT prospects and then a bunch of average prospects the rest of the way through. It's a strong OT class comparatively, but I don't think you are just going to be pulling starters out of thin air in rounds 2 and 3. There is OT depth in FA though.

16-0 in 2020!! 

19-0. Be realistic.

I'm down for Derrick Brown. He's a superstar talent and honestly, the only SUPERSTAR I see in this draft outside of Chase Young, Jerry Jeudy, and CeeDee Lamb. There are two elite prospects and he's one of them. I'd be thrilled to have him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m glad I’m not the only who believes Ceedee lamb will be a monster. Him and Chase are my personal “100% guarantee” will be success.

And Derrick Brown.

And Andrew Thomas won't bust. He might never be a great run blocker, but he'll never struggle to pass block...IMO.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Maybe. He's had one year of production only, which scares me.

He was good as a sophomore also. Ohio State always played three corners. He became dominant as a junior though. The talent has always been there and this year he was an absolute technician. As an Ohio State fan I like him as much or more than Lattimore. Significantly better than Denzel Ward coming out. Ward was a guy that truly did have one year of production. 

People were hesitant about just how good Okudah was based on him only going up against a few decent NFL prospects. Clemson receivers got zero separation against him. Really, the completion percentage when he was targeted this season was out of this world as a whole. Highly intelligent and high character guy as well. He is everything you would want in a cornerback prospect. Alas, we have zero chance at him and I don’t really think we would draft a cornerback anyways.

Edited by NateDawg

19 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He was good as a sophomore also. Ohio State always played three corners. He became dominant as a junior though. The talent has always been there and this year he was an absolute technician. As an Ohio State fan I like him as much or more than Lattimore. Significantly better than Denzel Ward coming out. Ward was a guy that truly did have one year of production. 

People were hesitant about just how good Okudah was based on him only going up against a few decent NFL prospects. Clemson receivers got zero separation against him. Really, the completion percentage when he was targeted this season was out of this world as a whole. Highly intelligent and high character guy as well. He is everything you would want in a cornerback prospect. Alas, we have zero chance at him and I don’t really think we would draft a cornerback anyways.

I don't think he's as good as Ward or Lattimore. I like him a lot, but give me Ward/Lattimore as prospects.

Okudah to me is going to be a good #1, but I've seen him mocked at #2 overall. I don't know if he's THAT good.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think he's as good as Ward or Lattimore. I like him a lot, but give me Ward/Lattimore as prospects.

Okudah to me is going to be a good #1, but I've seen him mocked at #2 overall. I don't know if he's THAT good.

Agree to disagree. Perhaps he won’t end up as Lattimore based off of those elite physical skills but I have no question he’s better than Ward coming out. Guess we will find out though. I can’t see him going in the top two just because of the Chase Young/quarterback situation, but if Detroit were to stay at three, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. If Denzel went at 4, I think top 5 is reasonable. Just my opinion. Thankfully he won’t be in the division.

IMO, there are clearly 7 Tier I. Elite Prospects in this Draft followed by 8 Tier II. High Quality Prospects of a lesser but still really good caliber.

Tier I.  

1.) Chase Young, DE Ohio State

2.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama

3.) Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa

4.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

5.) Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State

6.) Cee Dee Lamb, WR Oklahoma

7.) Netane Muti, LT/OC/OG Fresno State.

Tier II

8.) Kristian Fulton, CB LSU

9.) Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

10.) AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa

11.) Derrick Brown, 34NT Auburn

12.) (Healthy) Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

13.) Joe Burrow, QB LSU

14.) Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson

15.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia

Edited by Mind Character

56 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

IMO, there are clearly 7 Tier I. Elite Prospects in this Draft followed by 8 Tier II. High Quality Prospects of a lesser but still really good caliber.

Tier I.  

1.) Chase Young, DE Ohio State

2.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama

3.) Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa

4.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

5.) Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State

6.) Cee Dee Lamb, WR Oklahoma

7.) Netane Muti, LT/OC/OG Fresno State.

Tier II

8.) Kristian Fulton, CB LSU

9.) Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

10.) AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa

11.) Derrick Brown, 34NT Auburn

12.) (Healthy) Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

13.) Joe Burrow, QB LSU

14.) Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson

15.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia

At 10, give me Wills, Thomas, or Simmons if both those guys are gone.

Of course, if McDaniels and a Pats personnel guy are hired, they will take a CB from a little known Division II school there.

8 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

At 10, give me Wills, Thomas, or Simmons if both those guys are gone.

Of course, if McDaniels and a Pats personnel guy are hired, they will take a CB from a little known Division II school there.

... a LB at 10 would be tough to see ... that to me is Simmons defined role... 

... it's one thing to say "player x is going to be used all over the field" and another thing to see where that player plays on a majority of snaps.

He's beyond the amazing athlete but nowhere close to the instinctual football and feel for the game player that would make me feel comfortable taking Simmons at 10. Not a Jamal Adams impact SS type; not a Luke Kuechly impact LB type.

If the goal is to get a hybrid defensive playmaker or a quality LB or a quality SS, I just think we'd be better off looking elsewhere in the draft instead of our 1st or 2nd round picks.

Simmons has the college production and he has the athleticism, but the tape is clear as day to me: He's not that next level defensive force.

If Wills, Wirfs, Thomas are gone, the value and impact quality would be better if we selected Cee Dee Lamb, Jeffrey Okudah, or even Kristian Fulton. I'm nowhere near as high on Simmons as others are of him.

Hope it doesn't come to that decision, but would be interesting to see what direction we'd go in.

McDaniels was a terrible personnel exec and Dave Ziegler is the far less talented evaluator compared to Nick Cesario, but the New England scouting operation is heralded by fans but in the giggled at in the scouting community with scouts imagining what the Pats could do if they actually selected quality 1st through 3rd round players.

It's going to be a wild ride ...

If I had to bet, McDaniels/Ziegler will select Jeffrey Okudah or Kristian Fulton.

8 hours ago, shoffma1999 said:

To me, there is one more guy in the mix for #10 at OT, and that is Jedrick Wills. Thomas, Wirfs, or Wills would be a perfect pick for #10. Ideally in that order (at least for me). I would love to land back to back OTs. My dream scenario would be Tristan Wirfs in the 1st and Josh Jones in the 2nd. Then it would be perfect to land a quality TE like Hunter Bryant in the 3rd.

I respect were your coming from.....but here is a couple things.....when picking in the top (not via trade), your picking there for a reason, there are enough holes on the team, to take potentially the Best player at their respective position, vs the 3rd (where I have him ranked) best player at their position. That's just my general thought process.

Secondly, watching him a good bit this year, IMO he does not have the athletic ability to play the LT....I think he will be a RT in the leauge and A GOOD one. I also think a SOLID RT can be found in round's 3-5.....leaving pick 10 for a much bigger impact, if we add Derrick Brown at 10 and bring back Danny Shelton (1-2 year deal) I think that would literally fix our Run D next year. So if I can get Derrick Brown at 10 and Trey Adams, Josh Jones, Lucas Niang, Matt Peart or Charlie Heck I would like more than Willis at 10 and any DT that would be available on day 3.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I have Wirfs and Wills over Andrew Thomas. I like all three, but I think you get more out of Wirfs and Wills as overall players. Thomas is a finesse OT. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the upside between Wirfs and Wills is much higher.

I completely disagree with this statement...

Watching all of these prospects for the past 2 seasons, I honestly think that Thomas has the best combination of Agility, Strength, Experience and Technique of the top 3 OT prospects.

Wills will not be able to handle the LT in the Pro's IMO.