College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Chaisson certainly looks smaller than 6'4 250. He's getting thrown around every now and again, but more often he's got a strong initial punch and can hold his ground against bigger guys. His issue is flexibility and overall strength. He struggles to finish even when he wins with his quickness/speed. Technique and strength on the edge are coachable but I also think he may not be just an edge guy. I think he could be a good off ball LB too. He's like a faster Kyle Van Noy to me.

Chaisson is buttcheeks and ineffectual as a DE.

He'll be buttcheeks as a 34-OLB as well.

He may be an effect 43-LB convert but he's not an instinctual quick processing guy.

Whoever takes him will be pissing a high draft pick down the drain...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Chaisson is buttcheeks and ineffectual as a DE.

He'll be buttcheeks as a 34-OLB as well.

He may be an effect 43-LB convert but he's not an instinctual quick processing guy.

Whoever takes him will be pissing a high draft pick down the drain...

I don't think so. He reminds me of Montez Sweat. You'd think he were a stud pass rusher, but he was actually a more effective run stuffer despite his frame. He is an underdeveloped rush man, but he's also got all of the skills to eventually excel in that role. I don't like the Mingo comparisons at all. Mingo was a horrendous run defender. Chaisson holds his own and then some. I think he'll be a good player with the potential to become a great player in time.

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think so. He reminds me of Montez Sweat. You'd think he were a stud pass rusher, but he was actually a more effective run stuffer despite his frame. He is an underdeveloped rush man, but he's also got all of the skills to eventually excel in that role. I don't like the Mingo comparisons at all. Mingo was a horrendous run defender. Chaisson holds his own and then some. I think he'll be a good player with the potential to become a great player in time.

The Mingo comparison is not a good one because they had different play styles and Mingo was the superior prospect in all areas coming out of college.

Chaisson isn't close to the edge-setter and forceful run stuffer as Montez Sweat was coming out of college.

I don't see that skillset on tape at all. He's definitely going to be LB at the next level.

We'll have to agree to completely disagree on this one as I don't see the good to potentially great you see.

All I see is buttcheeks, and I'd be pissed if we spent a 1st or 3rd on him.

If we do select him, let's hope you're right.

Edited by Mind Character

11 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Sign me up as a Chaisson hater too. I think I agree with Mind that I just don't see him being able to hold up with a hand in the dirt and he's gonna eventually move to being more of a rush focused SLB.

So the question becomes do we need a base end or do we need juice off the edge on passing downs?

One of those is much easier to find than the other.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So the question becomes do we need a base end or do we need juice off the edge on passing downs?

For sure, but I think the latter you can find for way cheaper and/or later in the draft than Chaisson will go. If we keep Vernon, I think we need depth, if we let him go we need another starter.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

*easy Genard Avery low hanging fruit comment*

33 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

For sure, but I think the latter you can find for way cheaper and/or later in the draft than Chaisson will go. If we keep Vernon, I think we need depth, if we let him go we need another starter.

Unpopular idea around here, but if Vernon is totally healthy now, there is no reason to cut him. He is only overpaid because he hasn't stayed healthy ITO. With some real coaching for once, he could be an 8-12 sack guy across from Myles and next to Ogunjobi back to form. Even Sheldon should be improved this season with a fresh start.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Unpopular idea around here, but if Vernon is totally healthy now, there is no reason to cut him. He is only overpaid because he hasn't stayed healthy ITO. With some real coaching for once, he could be an 8-12 sack guy across from Myles and next to Ogunjobi back to form. Even Sheldon should be improved this season with a fresh start.

Yes sir.  I don't quite understand the rush to cut Vernon.  He is at least a serviceable starter, maybe more.

Just cuz he's overpaid doesn't mean we should cut him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

3 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Yes sir.  I don't quite understand the rush to cut Vernon.  He is at least a serviceable starter, maybe more.

Just cuz he's overpaid doesn't mean we should cut him.

Completely agree.

I wouldn't cut Vernon.

I would let him play this year, and have someone learn under him.

Unless we are hurting for cap space, which I would find hard to believe until we pay Garrett and Baker

• Like 2