College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

How about we stop trying to fix OT with Trent Williams and just draft one of the superstar prospects for 15 years?

It's very simple: If many of us think that due to positional value and OTs pivotal role that it makes sense to go Tackle over talented players like LB Isaiah Simmons, NT Derrick Brown, or even CB Jeffrey Okudah who plays at a high positional value position, why wouldn't other GMs on Teams with Tackle needs possibly/likely think that way as well.

The reason it makes sense to try to get Trent Williams is because the "superstar" prospect Tackles might not be there at 10, and the consensus mocks or popular sentiments in the draftnik community overlook the Tackle needs of top 10 teams and disregard their GMs going positional value of Tackle in their mocks as a possibility over less positional value positions like LB, NT, and WR.

Isaiah Simmons, Derrick Brown, and CeeDee Lamb/Jerry Jeudy are all valued over many Tackles in the draftnik mock community, but that may not be the case in the positional value minded minds of GMs.

Excluding the Bengals and Washington, out of the 7 Teams ahead of the Browns 6 to 7 of them have glaring Tackle needs.

2 of the 7 (Chargers and Dolphins) have a QB1 need and are thought to be potential spots for Tua or Herbert, but one can't assume that both teams are Fine with either of the QBs. So, let's assume we can reduce the list to 6 teams instead of 7 crossing off the team that ends up with Tua.

That Leaves us with:

1.) Giants

2.) Cardinals

3.) Lions

4.) Dolphins -OR- Chargers    

5.) Panthers

6.) Jaguars

---------

The Lions trading Darius Slay has people thinking Jeff Okudah is their guy, but no one has a clue what Patricia and co. want.

If the Chargers lose out on Tua, does Tom Telesco really like Herbert giving his scouting history? Many don't think so and think he may choose to go positional value and wait for a QB next year.

The Panthers losing Kuechly has people thinking Isaiah Simmons is their guy, but Matt Rhule's belief in positional value means we don't know what direction they'll go. Does Rhule believe in Greg Little as a true OT with Russell Okung or do they see Little as a Guard next year as many have assumed.

At the end of the season, Doug Marrone and their FO realized they'd have to move Cam Robinson to Guard given his mighty struggles at Left Tackle. So, they have a glaring LT need.

-----------

There are only 3 high quality Tackle Prospects in the draft imo: Jedrick Wills is a sure-thing superstar; Mekhi Becton has superstar upside but is a gamble with worse odds; and Andrew Thomas has superstar upside in a gap scheme.

Tristan Wirfs is not a superstar Tackle prospect and many trusted scouting opinions see it as such categorizing him as a Guard instead.

If the Giants, Cardinals, and 1 other team take a Tackle, where does that leave the Browns?? There's no guarantee even that the 4th Tackle on the board will be there.

Trent Williams is a superstar with medical red flags, and if the Browns can get him for negligible draft capital or sign him out-right after he's cut.it would be a home run that allows them to go BPA at 10.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

If we don't get one of the top 4 OT in the draft, that means one of the following is there at #10:

Brown, Okudah, Simmons

*Burrow and Tua will be gone

*Young will be gone

*Then you have 4 OT gone

...that also means ALL of the top WR are still there, Herbert is still there, etc. #10 we'd be getting a blue chip player and/or be in a prime position to trade back another 2-4 picks and still get an elite talent at their respective position.

I'd dangle a 5th in front of Washington for Trent and dare them to say no.

I'd then go ahead and draft Wirfs, start him at RG with hopes of him sliding to OT in a year or two, and go from there.

• Like 3

The issue with Trent imo isn’t even just the draft compensation, but the fact he wants a new deal.

There’s no way in hell im extending a 30 something year old tackle who hasn’t played a full season in 6 years for top of the market money (which is apparently what he wants).

Id toss them a day 3 pick and assume he’s a one year rental, most likely not even a full year with his injury history.  Hopefully recoup that pick when he signs elsewhere as an UFA next year.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The issue with Trent imo isn’t even just the draft compensation, but the fact he wants a new deal.

There’s no way in hell im extending a 30 something year old tackle who hasn’t played a full season in 6 years for top of the market money (which is apparently what he wants).

Id toss them a day 3 pick and assume he’s a one year rental, most likely not even a full year with his injury history.  Hopefully recoup that pick when he signs elsewhere as an UFA next year.

EXACTLY! And I'm still drafting a kid at #10 for that reason as well as going forward 2021 and beyond. Between Williams and Conklin, IMO there's little chance both stay healthy, let alone Williams.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

EXACTLY! And I'm still drafting a kid at #10 for that reason as well as going forward 2021 and beyond. Between Williams and Conklin, IMO there's little chance both stay healthy, let alone Williams.

Yeah, Trent Williams wouldn’t impact my plans at 10 at all tbh.

• Like 1

So instead of Trent, what if we trade for Tyron Smith in Dallas. He is not a major injury concern and has 3 yrs left on the contract. He also fits perfectly in the zone scheme. 
The Browns have way more holes than what it appears for example the 30th ranked rush defense.

So why not add more picks in a trade down and still get:

franchise tackle by drafting a stud LT like Cleveland from Boise St who would go top 10 in last year tackle class. 

a pass rusher and run stuffer all in one with- Kinlaw he’d make the whole defense better. 

And perhaps Ken Murray with an additional 2nd round pick acquired from a trade down. 

all 3 of these guys are 1st round talents 

44 minutes ago, BiscuitBrown said:

So instead of Trent, what if we trade for Tyron Smith in Dallas. He is not a major injury concern and has 3 yrs left on the contract. He also fits perfectly in the zone scheme. 

why would they trade him?

The Browns have way more holes than what it appears for example the 30th ranked rush defense.

I don’t mind a trade down if the tackles they like are gone.

franchise tackle by drafting a stud LT like Cleveland from Boise St who would go top 10 in last year tackle class. 

eh, he’s a freak but not great at football

a pass rusher and run stuffer all in one with- Kinlaw he’d make the whole defense better. 

doesn’t he have injury issues?

2 hours ago, BiscuitBrown said:

Ahhh. I remember the days when I was young and would come in here and just say, "well then we'll trade for *insert superstar here* for a *insert insane compensation here*!" 

Simpler times bros, simpler times.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Ahhh. I remember the days when I was young and would come in here and just say, "well then we'll trade for *insert superstar here* for a *insert insane compensation here*!" 

We all remember it, last week wasn’t that long ago.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BiscuitBrown said:

And perhaps Ken Murray with an additional 2nd round pick acquired from a trade down. 

all 3 of these guys are 1st round talents 

Is Tyron Smith even available? Why would Jones trade his starting left tackle when he wants to win NOW? They just lost Travis Frederick to retirement and now they want to trade their stud left tackle? I'm confused. Also, your speculation assumes that all of these so called 1st round talents are still available when they are on the clock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Steve Fifita in the 3rd!!!!!!!!

I can see why would take Kamerion Wimbley over Haloti Nagata!!!!!!

Johnothan Scott in the 2nd!!!!!1

Other insane things I've heard said in here......