College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

2 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

At the end of the day, this will come down to the BPA vs. Need debate. If you're looking at Alex Leatherwood or Tee Higgins, how is that decision even a question when we're considering the level of talent that is being weighed here?

And, I guess what I'm saying, is this:

*If Higgins is the BPA, I'm fine drafting him, but I'd also argue that there are EIGHT Round 1 graded WR in this draft, and I'd bet one/multiple of them fall, and you've got yourself a gem in Round 2 or via tradeback. It's that "good vs. the rest available" scale argument. The dropoff from Jeudy is STEEP. After that, you could argue about 7 different guys in the next 7 spots.

I agree that addressing the offensive line will be ESSENTIAL. It's a gaping need, but you gotta roll with the flow of the draft. If there isn't a lineman available who is at least considerably worthy of the pick, I don't think one should pull the trigger on him. That's just me. Hell, maybe they'd even draft a safety over a lineman. Delpit could be sitting there for the Browns to ****** up.

I like Wirfs and the kid from Bama personally, not to mention the upside with Thomas from Georgia, and I like Biadasz from Wisconsin as an OL guy too. 

Secondly, It's not fair to list Higgins in the mix with 5 other receivers who are slam dunk 1st round talents, and then call him a bad pick.

Bad VALUE, not a bad pick. There's a difference. For example, Saquon Barkley was a HORRENDOUS VALUE in 2018, but he's a great RB. You know what would have been smarter for the NYG to do, and what I said at the time? Draft their franchise QB or trade back and get Nick Chubb in Round 2. I would rather get one of those above OL prospects and then grab Justin Jefferson (6-3 LSU) or Devonta Smith (6-1 and a BURNER) in the 2nd, or even a Collin Johnson (6-6, Texas) in the 3rd-5th.

While I flip out like I did with the Corey Coleman pick? No, as I think that Higgins will be solid. 

Will I like the pick? No, because the value is poor, especially when it's about our 5th biggest need out there, behind OL, DL, S, and then the MLB/TE spots if Mack Wilson doesn't develop/Njoku isn't re-signed (plus he's a bad blocker too)

We have yet to experience the whole draft process with these guys, but right now I feel pretty comfortable with that value. Could even argue he brings a skillset that is more needed for this offense with his length. It may not give Baker more time, but it offers him more opportunity, and it can open things up quicker for the offense. Baker can then get rid of the ball sooner, and in Higgins' case, to a larger window; whether it be back shoulder, or a fade over the top of a defender, the possibilities a immense.

See above. I think we can get that fit/player later and still have a pretty instant impact on what you're suggesting. I mean, we saw how valuable Njoku is in the Red Zone and he's awful at running traditional TE routes, whereas he's a huge seam threat and legit Red Zone matchup nightmare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And, I guess what I'm saying, is this:

*If Higgins is the BPA, I'm fine drafting him, but I'd also argue that there are EIGHT Round 1 graded WR in this draft, and I'd bet one/multiple of them fall, and you've got yourself a gem in Round 2 or via tradeback. It's that "good vs. the rest available" scale argument. The dropoff from Jeudy is STEEP. After that, you could argue about 7 different guys in the next 7 spots.

I like Wirfs and the kid from Bama personally, not to mention the upside with Thomas from Georgia, and I like Biadasz from Wisconsin as an OL guy too. 

Bad VALUE, not a bad pick. There's a difference. For example, Saquon Barkley was a HORRENDOUS VALUE in 2018, but he's a great RB. You know what would have been smarter for the NYG to do, and what I said at the time? Draft their franchise QB or trade back and get Nick Chubb in Round 2. I would rather get one of those above OL prospects and then grab Justin Jefferson (6-3 LSU) or Devonta Smith (6-1 and a BURNER) in the 2nd, or even a Collin Johnson (6-6, Texas) in the 3rd-5th.

While I flip out like I did with the Corey Coleman pick? No, as I think that Higgins will be solid. 

Will I like the pick? No, because the value is poor, especially when it's about our 5th biggest need out there, behind OL, DL, S, and then the MLB/TE spots if Mack Wilson doesn't develop/Njoku isn't re-signed (plus he's a bad blocker too)

See above. I think we can get that fit/player later and still have a pretty instant impact on what you're suggesting. I mean, we saw how valuable Njoku is in the Red Zone and he's awful at running traditional TE routes, whereas he's a huge seam threat and legit Red Zone matchup nightmare.

As I said in my initial statement, I don't expect it to happen. If it did, you'd have to imagine the Browns really fell in love with him AND the players they liked at positions of need were already drafted. Dorsey has a history of drafting receivers after the first day and I wouldn't expect that to change. Regardless, the idea of Tee Higgins in the Browns offense is incredibly exciting to me.

• Like 1

With 4 picks currently in the top 90, I would like to address this with 2 olineman (preferably Guard, and Tackle) and 2 on defense (Edge, and LB)

This doesn't help our Safety situation, and it assumes that both Landrey and OBJ are here.  I would still attempt to find a fairly high end Offensive Tackle in FA (maybe Bulaga) and find a few others to help toughen up this team.

Guys I would be looking at in the top 90

Epenesa-Edge  Rd 1 or Kenny Willekes Rd 3

Afrenee Jenning LB Rd 2 or Kenneth Murray Rd 2 or Zach Baun Rd 3

OT Leatherwood or Wirfs Rd 1 or Sam Cosmi Rd 2 or Lucas Niang Rd 3

OG Biadasz Rd 1 or Lemeiux Rd 2 or Logan Stenburg Rd 3

A combination of these 4 would be very good imo.

• Like 1

FA: Arik Armstead DE/DT
FA: Jack Conklin/OT
FA: Vonn Bell/FS
FA: Evan Boehm/C
FA: Andre Smith/OLB

#13: Jedrick Wills/OT/Alabama
2nd: Tyler Biadasz/OG/Wisconsin
3rd: Kenny Willekes/DE/Michigan State
3rd: Essang Bassey/CB/Wake Forest
4th: Alohi Gilman/SS/Notre Dame
5th: Jalen Hurts/QB/Alabama
6th: Josiah Deguara/TE/Cincinnati
6th: Brady Ross/FB/Iowa
7th: Jeff Thomas/WR/Miami Fl.

QB: Mayfield/Gilbert/Hurts
RB: Chubb/Hunt/Hilliard
FB: Ross
WR: Beckham/Landry/Higgins/Willies/Hodges/Thomas
TE: Njoku/Seals-Jones/Harris/Deguara
LT: Conklin/Lam
LG: Bitonio/Kush
C: Tretter/Boehm
RG: Biadasz/Teller
RT: Wills/Forbes

LE: Vernon/Thomas
DT: Richardson/Ogunjobi/Armstead/Bryant
RE: Garrett/Willekes
WLB: Wilson/Taylor
MLB: Schobert/Smith/Davis
SLB: Takitaki/Harvey
CB: Ward/Williams/Bassey/Mitchell/Thomas
FS: Redwine/Bell
SS: Gilman/Murray

K: Austin Seibert
P: Jamie Gillan
KR: Thomas/Hilliard
PR: Beckham/Landry

Run the freaking football until the end of days.

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

What tackles do you have going before Willis? Rather go after the LT and make Conklin the RT. I believe Conklin played some LT his rookie year but im not sure for how Long and how well

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What tackles do you have going before Willis? Rather go after the LT and make Conklin the RT. I believe Conklin played some LT his rookie year but im not sure for how Long and how well

Wills is the best run blocker of the bunch. I don't care so much about pass blocking if you can rip faces off in the run game. That's why I went with Wills. He's not bad at pass blocking, but he'll add to our run game immensely. That needs to be our focus. Get Chubb to 2100!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Wills is the best run blocker of the bunch. I don't care so much about pass blocking if you can rip faces off in the run game. That's why I went with Wills. He's not bad at pass blocking, but he'll add to our run game immensely. That needs to be our focus. Get Chubb to 2100!

But we have a TE who can't block and 2 expensive WRs who will want the ball.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

With 4 picks currently in the top 90, I would like to address this with 2 olineman (preferably Guard, and Tackle) and 2 on defense (Edge, and LB)

This doesn't help our Safety situation, and it assumes that both Landrey and OBJ are here.  I would still attempt to find a fairly high end Offensive Tackle in FA (maybe Bulaga) and find a few others to help toughen up this team.

Guys I would be looking at in the top 90

Epenesa-Edge  Rd 1 or Kenny Willekes Rd 3

Afrenee Jenning LB Rd 2 or Kenneth Murray Rd 2 or Zach Baun Rd 3

OT Leatherwood or Wirfs Rd 1 or Sam Cosmi Rd 2 or Lucas Niang Rd 3

OG Biadasz Rd 1 or Lemeiux Rd 2 or Logan Stenburg Rd 3

A combination of these 4 would be very good imo.

I would break my TV if that were to happen, dude has zero juice and he's undersized

57 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Love the FA selections as well as the draft except the bolded, that is a way too high for a guy who would basically be a rich man's Porter Gustin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkPrice25 said:

But we have a TE who can't block and 2 expensive WRs who will want the ball.

replace the TE. 2 WRs is fine. running 11/12/20/21 personnel grouping is still going to call for 2 WRs. They might not get a lot of targets but they could kill off the playaction, making it even more dangerous. 

9 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I would break my TV if that were to happen, dude has zero juice and he's undersized

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This.

He's the true definition of JAG and would be a nice rah rah guy with no impact akin to just pissing the 3rd rounder down the drain.

In the 3rd, it's still possible to take some swings on guys that might not be ready right away but can actually be a real force down the line in year 2.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Hurts is my later/mid-round guy as well. Nice draft.

I fear that Wills, Thomas, and Jackson will all be gone be 13 leaving only the next tier of Tega-Wanogho, Leatherwood, Jones, and Steele. We'll likely have to trade up some to get Wills or one of the first tiers. I'd rather have AJ Epenesa than the 2nd tiers OTs at 13.

Biadasz is the king of all centers but too squatty and alligator armed to be a highly successful guard imo. He's a monster though for sure.

Swap out Biadasz for Shane Lemieux or Netane Muti (probably via trade up depending on where we slot in the draft order).

Willekes and Bassey (regressed this year) imo would never be impact starters and/or high quality rotational 2s so we'd be better off taking a swing on players with more juice and ability.