College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

6 hours ago, Horseunit said:

Any thoughts on Mekhi Becton all of a sudden getting top 20 hype?  I could see a situation where Espenesa, Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills are drafted ahead of our pick especially if we land around pick 15.  

Mekhi Becton as a top 20 OT is a wild evaluation.

I think it's highly probable that Epenesa, Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills will be all be gone by pick 15.  In fact, I'd bet on it.

Becton is a massive, long-armed, and powerful talent with slow and often uncoordinated feet. He also lacks awareness, quality technique, and linear/change of direction lateral agility/quickness.

When/If Epenesa, Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills are of the Board, there are in my opinion 6-8 better tackles before considering Mekhi Becton as the selection.

1.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

2.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama,

3.) (Far Better at Guard) Tristan Wirfs, OG-Phenom/OT, Iowa,

4.) (Better at Guard) Netane Muti, OG/LT-Swing Fresno State

5.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia

6.) Austin Jackson, LT USC,

7.) Prince Tega Wanogho, LT Auburn; 

8.) Alex Leatherwood, LT Alabama,

9.) Josh Jones, RT Houston,

10.) Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech //  10.) Yasir Durant, LT/OC Missouri // 10.) Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I don’t agree with that at all.  2005 Texas And 2008 USC are right up there. 

Funny b/c I disagree with both of you.

2016 Clemson team that went on to win it all was an insane team talent-wise and better than this year's clemson team, the 2005 Texas team, and that 2008 USC team.

The wild thing is... Justin Jefferson, WR LSU might not even be the 9th best WR in this year's class in the minds of reasonable scouts. The WR class is just that good.

The smartest teams will take two WRs that are more certain to be hits rather than opt for talents at other positions who have a lesser chance of being succesful/hits.

Wide-Receivers 2020:

This is the best Wide-Receiver class in the draft the scouting world has ever seen. Period. And I don't mean the best class in the last 5 years; I actually mean likely the best WR class to every come into the draft in terms of depth of quality. There are at least 10 WRs that have pro-bowl upside and high immediate impact WR1/WR2 ability. They will all go round 1 to mid to late round 2. There are 10 or so others that will get pushed down into round 3 and 4 that in other years would've easily gone round 2. 

Pro-bowl Upside, High Quality Immediate Starters: 1.) CeeDee Lamb, WR Oklahoma, 2.) Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama, 3.) Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC, 4.) DeVonta Smith, WR Alabama, 5.) Henry Ruggs, WR Alabama, 6.) Jalen Reagor, WR TCU, 7.) Justin Jefferson, WR LSU, 8.) Bryan Edwards, WR South Carolina , 9.) Tee Higgins, WR Clemson, 10.) Denzel Mims, WR Baylor, 11.) Laviska Shenault Jr., WR Colorado, 12.) Jauan Jennings, WR Tennessee,

High Quality Developmental Starters: 13.) Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan, 14.) KJ Hamer, WR Penn State, 15.) Quintez Cephus, WR Wisonsin, 16.) Joe Reed, WR Virginia, 17.) Kendrick Rogers, WR TAMU, 18.) Gabriel Davis, WR UCF, 19.) Isaiah Wright, WR Temple, 20.) Tylan Wallace, WR Oklahoma State, 21.) Lynn Bowden Jr., WR Kentucky,

Quality Developmental Starters: 22.) Brandon Aiyuk, WR Arizona State, 23.) Antonio Gibson, WR Memphis, 24.) Tyler Johnson, WR Minnesota 25.) Collin Johnson, WR Texas, 26.) John Hightower, WR Boise State 27.) James Proche, WR SMU, 28.) Sage Surratt, WR Wake Forest, 29.) Tyler Vaughns, WR USC, 30.) Trishton Jackson, WR Syracuse

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Funny b/c I disagree with both of you.

2016 Clemson team that went on to win it all was an insane team talent-wise and better than this year's clemson team, the 2005 Texas team, and that 2008 USC team.

Dude ‘16 Clemson wasn’t better than ‘05 Texas. Thinking back, I think ‘05 Texas is prolly the toughest team they have faced prolly since for this argument. 

44 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Dude ‘16 Clemson wasn’t better than ‘05 Texas. Thinking back, I think ‘05 Texas is prolly the toughest team they have faced prolly since for this argument. 

IMO, you have to separate nostalgia. That 2005 Texas team was iconic the way that VY went on his run and the defense had an impactful secondary on their way to beating the USC team everyone thought was unbeatable. Much like OSU beating the Miami juggernaut people thought were unbeatable.

2005 Texas:

Offensive Impact Players:

QB: Vince Young, 

RB: Jamaal Charles (Freshman), Ramonce Taylor, Henry Melton, Selvin Young

WR: Billy Pittman; Limas Sweed; 

TE: David Thomas

Defensive Impact Players:

DE: Brian Robison, , Tim Crowder; 

DT: Frank Okam; Rodrique Wright

CBs: Aaron Ross; Tarrell Brown, (Marcus Griffin)

FS/SS: Michael Huff; Cedric Griffin, Marcus Griffin,

VS

2016 Clemson:

Offensive Impact Players:

QB: Deshaun Watson

RB: Wayne Gallman

WR: Mike Williams; Deon Cain, Artavis Scott, Ray Ray McCloud, Hunter Renfrow

TE: Jordan Leggett

Defensive Impact Players:

DT: Dexter Lawrence, Carlos Watkins; Albert Huggins

DE: Christian Wilkins; Clelin Ferrell; Austin Bryant;

LB: Dorian O'Daniel; Ben Boulware; Kendall Joseph

CB: Cordrea Tankersley; Ryan Carter

FS/SS: Jadar Johnson; Van Smith

Edited by Mind Character

Who's ready to go up against Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson 2 times a year for the foreseeable future??

Burrow is every bit of the leader of men Baker was thought to be, more of an athlete, more of a "competitive maniac" worker on his craft (as Urban Meyer calls it), far less of an arm talent, much more emotionally mature/disciplined, and light years less in love with twitter watching and responding.

If somehow the Steelers end up with Tua, Baker may have a fight on his hands for the 3rd or 4th best QB in the division if he doesn't improve over the off-season and mature.

Edited by Mind Character

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Who's ready to go up against Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson 2 times a year for the foreseeable future??

Burrow is every bit of the leader of men Baker was thought to be, more of an athlete, more of a "competitive maniac" (as Urban Meyer calls it), far less of an arm talent, much more emotionally mature/disciplined, and light years less in love with twitter watching and responding.

If somehow the Steelers end up with Tua, Baker may have a fight on his hands for the 3rd or 4th best QB in the division if he doesn't improve over the off-season and mature.

Sucks 

• Like 1