Jaguars sign LB Myles Jack to 4 year $57M extension.

Tugboat

Seems like too much to me.  Didn't think Jack was that great last year and this puts him right at the top of the elite LBers pay bracket, among or above the elite of the elite.  But whatever i guess.  Salaries always kinda ratchet up like this and by the end of this deal, he probably won't be among the top paid ILBs anymore.  Plus, couldn't really afford to lose Jack after already losing Poz and Telvin over the last couple years.  Need some quality and continuity, so Jack had a ton of leverage in this.

Will be interesting to see if the guarantees are set up to either walk away, or significantly restructure after a couple years or how it's put together.  That'd help i guess.

Yan is the guy they've really gotta get done though.  He's the no-brainer guy to pay imo.

13 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This upsets me because its not yannick or Jalen 

Yeah.  I'm guessing they got Jack done first because there's an easy comp that just got signed with Jaylon Smith, to use as a baseline.  But it's not like there's some shortage of comps out there for Yan.  Shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

With Jalen...ehhh, he's still got plenty of run on his contract with an option year to tack on if necessary.  He's going to be a tough one because you pretty much assume he's going to be the highest paid CB in the league...but by how much?  Does he want to be one of the highest paid defensive players period?

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I'm guessing they got Jack done first because there's an easy comp that just got signed with Jaylon Smith, to use as a baseline.  But it's not like there's some shortage of comps out there for Yan.  Shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

With Jalen...ehhh, he's still got plenty of run on his contract with an option year to tack on if necessary.  He's going to be a tough one because you pretty much assume he's going to be the highest paid CB in the league...but by how much?  Does he want to be one of the highest paid defensive players period?

The move was basically done because when Yann didn’t take the offer the Jags gave the Jags pivoted to Jack and started negotiations. All in all the move allows the Jags to have Ramsey play on the 5th year while franchising Yann next offseason because they couldn’t use the tag on Yann and Jack this upcoming offseason. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

On 01/09/2019 at 4:18 AM, DuvalsKing said:

The move was basically done because when Yann didn’t take the offer the Jags gave the Jags pivoted to Jack and started negotiations. All in all the move allows the Jags to have Ramsey play on the 5th year while franchising Yann next offseason because they couldn’t use the tag on Yann and Jack this upcoming offseason. 

If we've got a guy in Yan unhappily playing on the Tag, while also having Jalen unhappily playing on the 5th year option that he doesn't seem particularly excited about...this team is gonna have problems.

Just decide if you're going to pay these guys or not.  If you are, sign them to actual deals and just get it over with.  If not...trade 'em while they still have some value tbh.

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

top 3 ILB money is way way way too much for jack.  he seems best suited as a WLB cuz he cant shed blocks well and i get trying to keep the 1 true startting caliber LB on the team but man at thast price u can start saying fairwell to some fan favorite likely ngakoue. 

I mean, he looked really good playing that split role in 2017.  Basically base Sam with later down Mike duties.  But not like "top-3 LBer" good even in that role that was basically custom tailored to what he does well, while mitigating some of his shortcomings as a thumper in traffic.  And frankly, he was pretty middle of the road as a true MLB last year.

There's value in his versatility in that i think he can do a decent job playing any of the 3 LBer spots i guess.  At the end of the day though, i still believe we should be looking for at least a part-time MLB who is much much better against the run, in traffic, and taking on blocks...so we can get him back into that split role he seemed to thrive in.  Makes it harder to justify paying him like he's a Top-3 MLB.