Seahawks trade for Jadeveon Clowney

showtime

Wow, this is huge news.  I didn't see this coming a week ago.  Earlier when I was at the gym, I saw an alert on my phone that said Seattle was interested in Clowney, but I always heard his name attached to the Dolphins earlier this week.

Looks like it was for a second or third rounder, plus some players.  I'll try and update with the trade info.

EDIT

So basically, the Seahawks got a 'replacement for Frank Clark', at least for this upcoming season for a third round pick and some role players.  According to stats, Clowney is one of the best run defenders in the league and that's one area where Seattle needed help.  They also have the first rounder and other picks from the Frank Clark trade.

This is so great.

It's a major grab for Seattle - when dialed in, Clowney is a wrecking ball, it's hard not to notice him destroying everything in front of him. He's a real gamechanger.

Only thing you'll be worried about? Injuries. You're holding your breath when Clowney is on the ground, because he takes a lot of unnecessary abuse. Clowney plays high, doesn't really try to get lower than the guy in front of him, so he will get driven into the ground and popped on combo blocks. He usually takes some time to get back into form after that, but it's not like he's missing too much time because of that.

Good luck, you've added a nice piece to your defense? So, tell me what I got in Mingo and Martin. I remember Mingo because he didn't exactly pan out as a top 10 selection, but I know very little about Martin...

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's a major grab for Seattle - when dialed in, Clowney is a wrecking ball, it's hard not to notice him destroying everything in front of him. He's a real gamechanger.

Only thing you'll be worried about? Injuries. You're holding your breath when Clowney is on the ground, because he takes a lot of unnecessary abuse. Clowney plays high, doesn't really try to get lower than the guy in front of him, so he will get driven into the ground and popped on combo blocks. He usually takes some time to get back into form after that, but it's not like he's missing too much time because of that.

Good luck, you've added a nice piece to your defense? So, tell me what I got in Mingo and Martin. I remember Mingo because he didn't exactly pan out as a top 10 selection, but I know very little about Martin...

I've heard that people think Martin can develop into a starter.

Regarding the trades - think about it like this: both moves have put O'Brien in a situation where if they don't experience (more) success, he's gone. So either they'll advance further than they have before, or he will be gone. That's my prediction at least.

Also, first round picks are overrated - Rams havent made one in years....since Goff actually.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Regarding the trades - think about it like this: both moves have put O'Brien in a situation where if they don't experience (more) success, he's gone.

That's probably the best part of it all. AFCCG is the absolute minimum for BOB, coming up short in the playoffs is going to be a death sentence...and the blunt truth to it all is that BOB isn't a playoff coach.

51 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Also, first round picks are overrated - Rams havent made one in years....since Goff actually

I certainly think they're overvalued in comparison to a need as glaring as the Texans LT spot. If we didn't spend what we spent on Tunsil, it's possible that we're drafting a replacement for Watson in 2021, given the beating he would have taken over the next two seasons. 

It was a drastic move in response to a drastic need.

Yeah, Martin has good potential.  I thought Mingo was solid for the Seahawks last year as well.  I'm thinking Clowney is going to be great this season because it's a contract year.  Injuries are certainly a concern with him, so hopefully he can stay healthy.  Once Reed gets back from his suspension, the Seahawks should have a pretty serious front seven.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That 49ers win on Monday night was easily worth a 3rd Round pick. 

So, Im really, REALLY leaning towards Seattle resigning Clowney. In fact, I'd rather Seattle resign Clowney and let Reed walk. Seattle isn't paying anyone right now (Russel, Wagner, Lockett) and nobody coming up needs a long term extension. Lot of money coming off the books in the next couple of years too (2021 Diggs, McDougald, Brown, Britt, KJ Wright = 30million). They could also dump Pocic and Trade/Cut Penny too to free up more money. 

With a tone of draft capital last year and this year, they could easily fill the roster out with rookie deals and sign Clowney longterm.

hopefully the appeal of being with a competitive team will keep his asking price manageable

and there's language to minimize risk to the team in case of injury

any of that would turn an already great rental into a bright future going forward

11 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

hopefully the appeal of being with a competitive team will keep his asking price manageable

I don't know about that. I mean, Houston was competitive, and the major issue was that he wanted to be paid like Mack / Donald and the Texans weren't willing to do that. Everything put out there so far is that he's really about that money, so I'm not expecting a discount like that or anything. 

That being said, even as a rental, still a phenomenal trade, and honestly, if he's going to keep beasting out like that, you just pay that man his money. Lots of teams are paying big dollars to edge rushers like that. It certainly doesn't break the cap or anything. Just a great trade for Seattle all around, regardless of what happens from here on out. 

On 11/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, Forge said:

I don't know about that. I mean, Houston was competitive, and the major issue was that he wanted to be paid like Mack / Donald and the Texans weren't willing to do that. Everything put out there so far is that he's really about that money, so I'm not expecting a discount like that or anything. 

That being said, even as a rental, still a phenomenal trade, and honestly, if he's going to keep beasting out like that, you just pay that man his money. Lots of teams are paying big dollars to edge rushers like that. It certainly doesn't break the cap or anything. Just a great trade for Seattle all around, regardless of what happens from here on out. 

He can want to be be paid like Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack, but will some team out there do that?  That seems like a bad decision, if anyone were willing to do that.

• 3 weeks later...