2019 Depth Chart

Pastor Dillon

Its been a wild day, felt like an NBA trade deadline. I am not real sure, but this seems to be our current depth chart

QB: Watson/McCarron
RB: Johnson/Hyde/Jones/Howell
FB: Gillespia
WR: Hopkins/
WR: Coutee/Carter
WR: Fuller/Stills
TE: Akins/Thomas/Fells/Warring
LT: Tunsil/Khalil
LG: Howard/Kelemete
C:Martin/Mancz
RG: Fulton/Scharping
RT: Henderson/Johnson

DE: Watt/Omenihu
NT: Reader/Dunn
DE: Blackson/Watkins
OLB: Scarlett/Martin
ILB: McKinney/Cole
ILB: Cunningham/Kalambayi
OLB: Mercilius/Mingo
CB: JJoe/JOhnson/Crawford
CB: Roby/Colvin/Crossen
S: Reid/Moore
S: Gibson/Addae

LS: Weeks
P: Daniel
K: Fairbarin 

I dont think I forgot anyone. 

Gonna be honest I'm terrified of what our defense will be. Our forte last year was stopping the run but Clowney was a MAJOR part of that. And for all some complain about his pass rush he was the only one other than Watt that did anything. And the secondary is still a wild card. Safety looks improved but who knows about CB. We easily could still be terrible against the pass now with even less pressure on the QB and our rush defense probably takes a hit as well. If we are going to win it will have to be in shootouts

On 9/1/2019 at 7:59 AM, amazingandre said:

We still have Adams at TE too. I expect Warring to be placed on IR

We just added ANOTHER TE in Logan Paulson (Falcons).  Yep, that's 6 TE's folks. Ghost of Kubiak is walking the halls on Kirby.  As many TE's on this roster as D Lineman.  Yes, I expect Warring to hit IR and I suspect the Paulson signing signals Fells or Adams is getting dealt. I'm sorry, the Clowney deal will forever taint any point to discussing dealing away talent for picks, so hard to get excited about whatever we get in dealing from one of our few strengths.  Hell, lost in the drama was us tossing away 6th rounder to the Pats for a CB that wasn't making their roster (conditional 7th is SOP to skip waivers).  Even Caserio couldn't resist plundering the Texans 2020 draft class or maybe he just wants to be able to stay home day three as well.  BTW - Also lost in the cutdown day madness is that in addition to all these TEs we also kept Gillaspia who turnstiled to give up a blocked punt and makes Jay Prosch looks like Vonta Leach as a lead blocker.

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 10:46 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Its been a wild day, felt like an NBA trade deadline. I am not real sure, but this seems to be our current depth chart

QB: Watson/McCarron
RB: Johnson/Hyde/Jones/Howell
FB: Gillespia
WR: Hopkins/
WR: Coutee/Carter
WR: Fuller/Stills
TE: Akins/Thomas/Fells/Warring
LT: Tunsil/Khalil
LG: Howard/Kelemete
C:Martin/Mancz
RG: Fulton/Scharping
RT: Henderson/Johnson

DE: Watt/Omenihu
NT: Reader/Dunn
DE: Blackson/Watkins
OLB: Scarlett/Martin
ILB: McKinney/Cole
ILB: Cunningham/Kalambayi
OLB: Mercilius/Mingo
CB: JJoe/JOhnson/Crawford
CB: Roby/Colvin/Crossen
S: Reid/Moore
S: Gibson/Addae

LS: Weeks
P: Daniel
K: Fairbarin 

I dont think I forgot anyone. 

Please put the L. in front of Johnson.  Pains me to see that last name in our secondary without qualifying that it isn't K. Give Duke his big D and Roderick his R. while you're at it because we can't be confusing Johnson's. Get that sad sack paycheck player Kalil off this roster.   Typo nazi alert - It's Fairbairn, Mercilus, Gipson, Gillaspia. 

In the post Clownocolypse I have no desire to track the practice squad since #1 overall picks are worth 4 spots in the 3rd round to the GM-less, but for those interested.

Practice Squad -

• Alex McGough - QB
  • Karan Higdon - HB
  • Vyncint Smith - WR
  • Steven Mitchell - WR
  • Rick Leonard - RT
  • Albert Huggins - DT/DE
  • Tyrell Adams - ILB
  • Chris Johnson - S
  • Austin Exford - S
  • Open

Personally, I'd promote T. Adams, A. Huggins, C. Johnson the second we can as all three are risks to get poached.  I suspect we tried to sneak TE J. Adams to PS, but knew we'd lose him. Higdon should be on this roster over T. Jones or Gillaspia but for special teams (see pointless Prosch & Todman spots from 2017).  Stealing McGough from the Jags was a solid move as he's better than their current backup Minshew and for all we know McCarron. We're paying McG $20k/week vs. traditional $5k, so that $30milion+ surplus isn't totally going to waste. 

The only guys who impressed a bit in preseason that we let go were OLB Jamal Davis and OLB Davin Bellamy, but Mingo and Martin have roster spots for life so Chinhole can justify his misunderstood genius trade/giveaway.   I preferred WR Tyron Johnson to Mitchell because of upside as a returner, but I guess Vyncint catching 1 of every 4 deep balls keeps him around the building as a deep threat for when Fuller goes down again. Good time for a reminder that Smith gave us the lead with 2 minutes to go in the Philly game that cost us a bye week - the DEFENSE gave up 471 yards to Nick Foles in a game where Clowney was our only defensive player who showed up. Foles is the worst QB we will face in the 1st six weeks of this season

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

In a day I went from the negative one that no one likes to the upbeat person no one likes. Sigh. 

I still love ya Pastor.  Was just trying to help clean up the roster for ya.  I literally misspelled two of my corrections before I double checked em.  I've got $20 on anyone spelling Barkevious right the first time without looking and of course there is always Ka'iminoeauloameka'ikeokekumupa'a if you need to win at scrabble.  There does has to be an Arky Aggie fan joke in misspelling the 12th man, but I'm kind of glad I don't have to double check my D'Onta's vs. Deonte vs. Dionte vs. Deontay vs. Deontae.  You're still ahead of the dude calling our game last year that kept crediting Deshaun Hopkins and Deandre Watson for everything. I will also give you mad props for not being one of those people that puts an "s" on names like Trevor Daniel which triggers me almost as much as the unwarranted "g"s on names like Michael Irvin. You nailed the tough one's like Kelemete, Omenihu, and Kalambayi.  I'm prepared to get annoyed anytime somebody leaves the "c" out of Scharping and poor Gipson has probably spent his whole life correcting people.  Don't let my kink get you down...

52 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

In a day I went from the negative one that no one likes to the upbeat person no one likes. Sigh. 

I'm happy with you, bud! Tunsil to Houston is a power move, one that puts our franchise QB on a healthy trajectory.

You'll never see me complaining about the cost.

Oh yes, and I forgot to express my joy that Boddy-Calhoun and Woodson-Luster didn't make the roster given my irrational hatred of hyphenated double last names (don't waste my time because of your daddy issues - I've got strippers for that).  I kind of liked BBC as a player and he certainly showed more than Crawford did, but I've resigned myself to the Texans keeping a wasted 6th round DB around every year.  Of course, this year we get a free preview of next year's wasted 6th round DB in Keion Crossen - set your watch to that pick becoming Tom Brady's replacement.  Oh great, now I've got to keep Keion and Keon and Keone straight, too. 

BTW - If you think I'm the only one who hates the hyphen, remind me if the Texans have ever had a hyphen on the roster.   Domanick Davis-Williams doesn't count as he straight changed from Davis to Williams and retired before playing a down as Williams. Jones-Smith came close last year and Etta-Tawo spent a few weeks on the PS.  Personally I don't think Samoan's count as the dash is punctuation like Su'a-Filo, ( Filoitumua ) not two surnames.

Kahale Warring AND Jordan Thomas to IR.  So that's 2 roster spots thrown away in the meaningless Rams game where nobody but our cut list should be playing (see also Webb).  So add Paulson as blocking TE backup and CB Cornell Armstrong to our roster of 6th round special teamer DBs who better not have to actually play their position on defense.  Miami cut him so apparently he's so insignificant we didn't want to bother with what is essentially 3 risk free years on the end of his rookie contract we'd have gotten if he were part of the trade vs. signing him to a 1 year FA deal. I suspect he doesn't last the week with Scandrick or some other vet CB brought in instead or maybe O'Brien is going with the CB of the week model Rick Smith did in 2017.  Mike Tyson is available again after not making final cuts in GB.  I actually liked him at thafety latht year.  Kavon Webster is available again - we could see if he makes it to 2 snaps this year before making him our annual sacrifice to the NRG turf monster.

We're also bringing in the LB Brandon Marshall for a look.  Dude used to be one of the better coverage ILBs in the league which will always be a need with McKinney on the roster and Cole and Cunningham both got abused in coverage at times early last year.  Kalambayi actually made some plays in the PS, but I still suspect he tops out as a special teamer.  If Marshall's still got legs left (he's only 29), he might be worthy of a spot - moreso than Gillaspia or Armstrong's spot anyway.

We also finished off the practice squad with an unathletic UDFA OLB named Wyatt Ray who managed to crack the starting lineup as a Senior at Boston College and was in Browns camp.  Went to St. Thomas Acquinas in Ft. Lauderdale, so he's got at least 8 years of catholic school, which probably was the selling point for Irish Catholic school boy, BOb.  The most exciting thing about this guy is that he's Nat King Cole's grandson.  Unforgettable....   

Edited by Apollo Stallion

here is my current state of the Texans:

QB - I love Watson. He was my favorite college player and I think he has it all. He has the talent, the "it" factor, hes the real deal. If he stays healthy, QB is not a problem at all

RB - Losing Miller Stings, but honestly he was never a world beater. RB is probably the least important position on offense, or at least the easiest to replace. Hyde and Johnson will be able to replace Miller's running. I worry about pass protection from the backfield. Its clearly now our weak link but I think we can manage without it being the reason we win or lose. 

WR - Best group in the league if healthy. Without a doubt we now run 4 deep with legit NFL WRs who can go for 100 yards in any game. Coutee and Fuller have to prove they can stay healthy for sure, but Hopkins is top 3 in the league and Stills has missed 2 games in 5 years. Hes not a go to guy, but he might be the best 3rd or 4th WR in the league. Our 4 WR sets with Fuller and Stills blazing down field, Coutee in the slot and Hopkins working over the middle to sideline area will be deadly....assuming BOB doesnt want to run 40 times a game. 

O-Line - It has to be fixed or someone has to be fired. We drafted 2 guys in rounds 1 and 2, traded our future away for a starting LT, we have a center who was drafted round 2, we have a guard on a pretty good sized contract. If they cant get the sack number under 50, maybe even under 40 this season.....someone needs to be fired. I am thinking we might have a starting 5 at some point(maybe next year) of Tunsil/Fulton/Martin/Scharping/Howard. If Howard can play RT and be good, we could be set for a long time. I suspect the early returns will be bad, but by week 5 or 6 the line should be coming around. 

Bottom Line: There is only 1 reason our offense wont be top 5-10 next year and that is BOB's play calling and system. If it can work, it will work this season. We just have to understand that we are built to pass the football, and we need a 60/40 pass/run split. 

Moving onto Defense, and I think I like what we have done over here this off season. Trading Clowney hurts us on the top end, but getting 2 rotational OLB in return provides some depth that we did not have. on a side note, I was a real big fan of Ejiofor, so that sucks. 

D-Line - we still have a top 5 defensive line in football.

Line Backers - We are deep, but not as talented without Clowney. We have 3 legit ILB, and we have 4 OLB who can all play. I am not sold on Kalambyi but maybe he will surprise some people

Secondary - This is interesting. Here is what I know, Roby is better than anyone we had placing opposite of JJoe last year. Kareem jackson was a really good safety but he has never been a great CB.  I was not a huge fan of Honey Badger, I felt like he got abused in coverage a lot but was solid against the run and was a solid tackler in space. I dont think we lose too much by replacing him with Gibson. Addae is the most underated signing of the season.  Hes going to play an important role for us, as I suspect we might play 3 safety sets more often so that Gibson can match up against TEs. Colvin is healthy and should be at least a little better than last year. Lonnie Johnson might end up as a bust, but hes got to be better than Some of the trash we were signing off the streets. 

Bottom line, Our D loses some with Clowney but I dont see how our D can take that big of a step back. 

If we can stay in the same range on D this season, and have a much better offensive line....we will be an 11 win season. If our secondary falls apart or our line just doesnt have the coaching it needs, we could easily win 6 games. 

with the trades though, there is no reason to want to see that, especially when it appears that BOB is not on the hot seat.