Saints trade for LB Kiko Alonso

saintsfan

He’s really inconsistent, he’ll be good depth though. 

Should be cheap, if it’s more than a 7th I’ll be annoyed 

Edit: Kiko had cleared out his locker, expecting to be released. This will probably be a conditional 7th 

Edited by Dome

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

He’s really inconsistent, he’ll be good depth though. 

Should be cheap, if it’s more than a 7th I’ll be annoyed 

Edit: Kiko had cleared out his locker, expecting to be released. This will probably be a conditional 7th 

It was actually a swap for Vince Biegel

• Like 1

How did this work, trade a super accomplished player for a player who has basically done little to nothing in the NFL in terms of statistic production, that makes no sense.  Biegel has decent edge rush potential but has what 20 tackles in his two year career, Alonso has 344 in a five year career.  Saints got a freaking steal here now clue how this happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

How did this work, trade a super accomplished player for a player who has basically done little to nothing in the NFL in terms of statistic production, that makes no sense.  Biegel has decent edge rush potential but has what 20 tackles in his two year career, Alonso has 344 in a five year career.  Saints got a freaking steal here now clue how this happened.

Miami is tanking. They wanted to get out of Kiko's contract and only had to pick up $1m of his contract by trading him to the Saints. They get back a young linebacker with potential and a small contract. I'm sure they tried to get a pick but not many teams wanted Kiko at $6m per

12 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

Miami is tanking. They wanted to get out of Kiko's contract and only had to pick up $1m of his contract by trading him to the Saints. They get back a young linebacker with potential and a small contract. I'm sure they tried to get a pick but not many teams wanted Kiko at $6m per

Yeah kind of like the Seahawks trading for Clowney and gave up a freaking 3rd round pick and Mingo and Martin.  Freaking A that is cheap in terms of players but sure they get the contract down the road but still, Clowney is a Pro bowler and one of the best pass rushers in the NFL when healthy, Mingo/Martin and a 3rd rounder?  Yeah trading in the NFL is easy as crap apparently compared to the NBA as long as you have the cap space.

Kiko will be a great Saint and be arguably the best LB on the team if he can stay healthy.  A stacked team gets even more stacked now and do not lose basically anything.

This move is nothing but a positive. Alonso at worst is an improved Te’O in terms of ability. At his best he challenges Klein for his spot. It also gives us some really nice depth in the LB corps with 5 guys who are NFL caliber to rotate in. With Anzalone and Robertson banged up, this was very much needed. 

Gotta day our depth throughout the D is really impressive. I hope DA has been doing his homework, this D has top 10 ability imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

This move is nothing but a positive. Alonso at worst is an improved Te’O in terms of ability. At his best he challenges Klein for his spot. It also gives us some really nice depth in the LB corps with 5 guys who are NFL caliber to rotate in. With Anzalone and Robertson banged up, this was very much needed. 

Gotta day our depth throughout the D is really impressive. I hope DA has been doing his homework, this D has top 10 ability imo. 

Yup.

A couple times on reddit/twitter today I saw people bringing up Beigel being great on special teams and how Kiko can't help there. I understand Kiko hasn't played special teams, he's pretty much been a starter everywhere he's gone. 

But that doesn't mean Kiko can't play special teams. He's fast, he's mean and he likes to hit. Do people really think he just can't figure out how to play special teams if you throw him out there? 

Edited by Dome