Cap Space leading in 2020 Season

soflbillsfan

Yes I know the season hasn't started for 2019 but I figured I would throw out the cap figure with rollover cash the Bills currently have for 2020 season to be $89.9 mil in cap space (according to Spotrac) now that the 53 man roster is set. This is a great situation to be in. All in all Bills are finally looking in the right direction as they have built up a team that can contend, have 9 draft picks and a ton of cap to add upgrades along the roster.

They will be losing Lorenzo Alexander to retirement but the rest of the starting defense will be in tact for 2020 season.

Lawson and Jordan Phillips are rotational guys who will be FA.

I could see the bills looking at paying Quinton Spain LG after his 1 year deal. The bills oline will also need to look at paying Dawkins as that is a contract year for them. Another possible extension is Poyer as that is his last year as well. 

Levi Wallace and Robert Foster both can be tagged with the ERFA so that shouldnt cost much. 

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1

Yup Bills looked poised to continue trending upwards. Lots of cap space and no immediate major holes except for maybe Dawkins like you said.

We'll no doubt pick up Tre 5th year option but even that won't count until 2021. I could also see the Bills looking to extend Milano after this year (I believe rounds 2-7 can be extended after year 3?) so if he bounces back it would make sense to get him and Poyer extended before other guys are up.

I love looking ahead thanks for the info.  Very pleased that we have a ton of cap space with little holes to fill.  I think we extend Dawkins, Milano and my favorite player Poyer.  After that we hopefully get to fill the holes with targeted FA's and the draft.  I'm looking a the Bama WR after college footballs opening week.   

3 hours ago, Buffalo Fan said:

I love looking ahead thanks for the info.  Very pleased that we have a ton of cap space with little holes to fill.  I think we extend Dawkins, Milano and my favorite player Poyer.  After that we hopefully get to fill the holes with targeted FA's and the draft.  I'm looking a the Bama WR after college footballs opening week.   

Won’t be picking high enough to get him... hopefully

I still believe pass rusher will be the biggest need next offseason with a defensive mind coach and ranked 26th in sacks this year. This will be something that is closely examined during the season. With Clowney, and possibly Yannick being the only ones that are upgraded talent its going to cost the bills a min of 20 mil per year to land one of them. I may be jumping the gun but I expect the bills to be in the teens if not early 20s during the draft so picking a guy that late with WR or DE it will be tough. So I think beane will be pushing to move up to land one rather then settle for one in the draft so one other position will have to be fixed in free agency. 

• 4 weeks later...

After 4 weeks of play we start to see what the bills need to do during the offseason. A big possession WR is a much need after watching Zay be absolutely useless on the field they need to find someone who can challenge DBs on contested balls. Oline is still struggling, even with Allen holding on the ball longer then usual at times, he is also getting chased down most of the time because of the oline. Finally the one thing I have been harping about still is a huge issue with only 7 sacks on the season and only 2 going to the actual pass rushers this is extremely bad. The bills desperately need a pass rusher, even though the defense has been awesome they are not getting to the Qb like other teams such as Chicago which the bills will need eventually. Trent Murphy has been another useless body out there most of the time and isn't even aware of whats going on. This project needs to end after the season, and unless the bills get a team friendly deal with Shaq then he can go too.  I still dont know about Quinton Spain on whether he is the right fit at LG or if the bills need to kick dawkins inside and find a LT as Dawkins just seems to be struggling.

Extending Poyer, Hyde, Wallace, and Tre either this offseason or 2021 offseason those should be a priority. Jordan Phillips has come in to his own since Harrison went down if that continues he should be re-signed as well on the defense.

20 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

I know ESPN suggested it as a trade, and maybe it's a bit of my Badger fandom too, I wouldn't mind signing Melvin Gordon even with a potential 37 year old Gore and Singletary on the roster.

Problem is we are running the ball 15-18 carries a game. Gore had 14 carries on Sunday and 4 of them came in the last couple minuted to kill the clock. Daboll is not utilizing the run game as much as I thought they would. I wish they would do 25-30 runs a game and they arent. So why trade for Gordon if your not running much. Yeldon has proven to be better in the pass game too. 

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1