Packers sign Quinton Dial

BlondeonBlonde

Ted is pretty heavily involved in deciding on player #s, isn't he?

At the podium he sounds like Chauncey Gardiner, but I'll bet he's Rainman when it comes to which numbers are available.

I look forward to #91 getting his chance on the field.

Do you think he will play a role similar to the one Ryan Pickett had?

Imo Tretter and Linsley were just as injury prone as each other. Whichever one of them started they both performed well.

I personally felt that we should've paid Tretter what the Browns paid him but also guaranteed him the starting centre spot. Why? for several reasons:

1. Tretter contract will almost certainly be cheaper than the contract Linsley may get next year.

2. Tretter is only 5 months older than Linsley. So age is not a big issue here.

3. Tretter is more versatile should we ever need to move him around. Linsley is not.

4. Tretter is bigger and more athletic than Linsley.

It seems everything points to Tretter being the better choice. I feel like the Packers made the wrong decision here but we will see how it all shakes out. It's entirely possible Tretter had no intention of staying in Green Bay. Not a lot we can do about that but to commit and move forward with Linsley.

Tretter has not been able to stay on the field and when put head to head outright beaten out by Linsley. It would have been foolish to promise him a starting spot unless he can earn it outright. If it takes guaranteeing a player a spot, I'm not interested. There are no promises. Earn your snaps.

12 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Tretter has not been able to stay on the field and when put head to head outright beaten out by Linsley. It would have been foolish to promise him a starting spot unless he can earn it outright. If it takes guaranteeing a player a spot, I'm not interested. There are no promises. Earn your snaps.

I think the problem is that Tretter may have been a victim of his own success. Even if hes' 1% better at C than Linsley, his role still would have been as a bench guy because he's a noticeably better Guard than Linsley.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

What if the timing were reversed and Linsley came due for a new deal before Tretter ?

Yea, that's my thought process. If the roles were reversed, they might've let Linsley walk & kept Tretter. Both are good Centers but not all that proven anywhere else. Both have had some injury issues. But by going with the guy whose contract isn't up yet, you get one more year of cheap production at C. That's money and flexibility that can be used in other areas or rolled over for future uses.

Whether or not you prefer one over the other, is the difference between the two really worth forfeiting the $ flexibility? 

If you're assuming he could've slotted in at RG, you also have to consider the timing. At the time Tretter signed with the Browns, GB was still pursuing Lang (Lang didn't decide until 3/12). You sign Tretter to be your OG and that pretty much takes Lang off the table.

Archived