Week 1 GDT: The Season is HERE! BUF @ NYJ

Trentwannabe

Image result for sam darnold josh allen

What happens in September is hardly ever indicative of what the season will hold but the winner of this game will set themselves up nicely for the 2019 season and a hopeful playoff push. 

Last 5 Games:
NYJ 27 @ BUF 23
BUF 41 @ NYJ 10
BUF 21 @ NYJ 34
NYJ 12 @ BUF 21
BUF 10 @ NYJ 30

Story lines to watch:
Josh Allen and his new weapons VS. a broke down Jets secondary
- RB Le'Veon Bell returns to action for first time since January 14th, 2018.
- Sam Darnold and his new weapons VS. a strong Bills secondary
- Rookie DL: Quinnen Williams for the Jets and Ed Oliver for the Bills

New Places, same faces:
- Andre Roberts & Spencer Long spent 2018 with the Jets and are now members of the Bills
- Greg Williams is a former Bills HC, now the Jets DC

Sean McDermott vs Adam Gase
Sean McDermott's Bills are 3-1 against an Adam Gase coached team (Miami). 

Analysis:

This game means a heck of a lot to both teams and the loser will be behind the 8-ball early. I think the Bills roster is stronger from top to bottom and when it comes to depth it isn't even close as the edge goes to Buffalo. The Bills are much stronger on defense but I would give the edge to the Jets on offense at least for now as Darnold has shown he doesn't need elite talent around him. However for this game, I trust our D to make plays against their offense more than I do the Jets D against our offense. Our kicking situation is also much clearer and more trustworthy. If this game was in Buffalo I would be very confident in a Bills victory but because it is on the road and you never know what to expect in week 1, I am more nervous. It is also a division game that always tend to be close. Prediction: Bills 26, Jets 21.

Can't wait! Been awhile since I've popped into the forums. I think it'll be a close game, two young times on the way up. I trust that our coaching staff will have our guys prepared and think that will give us an edge. 

Going with 23-16 Bills. 

Singletary gets his first TD and Allen throws one to Zay Jones. Think there will be a back and forth of field goals because both offenses will struggle to close drives out early in the season.

42 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

The Jets forum is a confident bunch for a team with Adam Gase as HC :P.

It is going to be fun week!

Considering the last two posts have us barely scoring with predictions of 13 and 16 points I'd say it's not much better in here ;)

I expect both BUF/NY games to be tough hard fought games.  Either way I hope one of us finally knocks off NE.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Considering the last two posts have us barely scoring with predictions of 13 and 16 points I'd say it's not much better in here ;)

I expect both BUF/NY games to be tough hard fought games.  Either way I hope one of us finally knocks off NE.

But we don't have Gase lol.

But I think it is all in good spirits. We can all agree we hate New England and that Miami is a laughing stock. One of us better dethrone the Hoody sooner than later.

If we control Bell, I think we win this game, but agree it will be a close one. If our secondary can't operate without help from the LBers, I think Bell will torch us underneath. He's a real match-up problem and I am not yet sold on our run D, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had a good game. I think at the end of the year, we may likely split with them - home team winning both games. Sorry for the negativity, but I'm swimming in skunk odor, as my dog got sprayed tonight and it has got me in a pissy mood. Then again, maybe their kicking game is enough to do them in! I'll go with that. Bills 20-17.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

If we control Bell, I think we win this game, but agree it will be a close one. If our secondary can't operate without help from the LBers, I think Bell will torch us underneath. He's a real match-up problem and I am not yet sold on our run D, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had a good game. I think at the end of the year, we may likely split with them - home team winning both games. Sorry for the negativity, but I'm swimming in skunk odor, as my dog got sprayed tonight and it has got me in a pissy mood. Then again, maybe their kicking game is enough to do them in! I'll go with that. Bills 20-17.

Yeah I don't think either team is good enough to destroy the other or win handily unless their is a flurry of turnovers, which I don't see happening. I think Buffalo has the edge in special teams and defense whereas the Jets have the advantage on offense and home field. But I'll take our coaches any day of the week and twice on Sunday which is why I think the Bills pull one out.

I think this is the ideal time to play the Jets. Its the 1st game of the season and there will be mistakes on both sides of the field. With a new head coach even having preseason its still a different animal so I can see Gase and the players having miscommunication on both sides of the field. Leveon Bell may have been working out and may have been working in pads but he has yet to see playing time in over 18 months so I think this is going to be a tougher test then what he thinks it will be. On the other side of the ball you have the Jets CBs who are injured and not 100%, with their $75 mil CB having hamstring issues that can cause an issue while covering someone deep such as John Brown. Not to mention the other CB issues they have. Then you have the LBs, yes they upgraded with Mosley but they do not have anyone else outside of him as they lost Avery to a season ending injury. If the bills can take advantage of all these things then they should come out on top 28-13. I think this match up in Week 17 will be more difficult for the bills then Week 1 even though this is an away game.

Edited by soflbillsfan

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Yeah I don't think either team is good enough to destroy the other or win handily unless their is a flurry of turnovers, which I don't see happening. I think Buffalo has the edge in special teams and defense whereas the Jets have the advantage on offense and home field. But I'll take our coaches any day of the week and twice on Sunday which is why I think the Bills pull one out.

meh, I don't think your coaches are all that to brag about and Brian Dobell is your OC, not like his resume is all that. Sean McDermmott is on a slightly worse streak than Adam Gase started out in Miami.  Gase had the Dolphins in 2nd place in the AFC east with no talent and Brock Osweiller starting at QB some games.  
I feel the Jets upgraded their coaching staff and front office. We will find out about Gase, but he sure is giddy to work with Darnold and finally have a QB he feels can run his offense.

The Jets secondary is healthy for this game, Trumaine Johnson is ready to go. With Maye back we have a elite safety tandem as Adams is among the best in the game and will show how elite he is. Don't judge our secondary from preseason, because those guys were all cut. My main concern is containing Allen from running, cause that was his best trait. Because his throwing was down right awful last season. 

Our offense is gonna be sneaky good, I feel like Darnold is about to break out. He seems to love this high tempo offense and as long as our guys stay healthy, we have enough for him to be good. Herndon being out this game hurts, Darnold likes throwing to him. But LeVeon Bell seems ready and eager to go to prove to everyone hes still elite.   Week 1 never tells all, but should be a good game.  

24 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

meh, I don't think your coaches are all that to brag about and Brian Dobell is your OC, not like his resume is all that. Sean McDermmott is on a slightly worse streak than Adam Gase started out in Miami.  Gase had the Dolphins in 2nd place in the AFC east with no talent and Brock Osweiller starting at QB some games.  
I feel the Jets upgraded their coaching staff and front office. We will find out about Gase, but he sure is giddy to work with Darnold and finally have a QB he feels can run his offense.

The Jets secondary is healthy for this game, Trumaine Johnson is ready to go. With Maye back we have a elite safety tandem as Adams is among the best in the game and will show how elite he is. Don't judge our secondary from preseason, because those guys were all cut. My main concern is containing Allen from running, cause that was his best trait. Because his throwing was down right awful last season. 

Our offense is gonna be sneaky good, I feel like Darnold is about to break out. He seems to love this high tempo offense and as long as our guys stay healthy, we have enough for him to be good. Herndon being out this game hurts, Darnold likes throwing to him. But LeVeon Bell seems ready and eager to go to prove to everyone hes still elite.   Week 1 never tells all, but should be a good game.  

Sean McDermott is recognized as one of if not the best at disguising coverage's and getting the most out of a secondary.Even on this general forum he is viewed as a borderline top 10 coach. Daboll track record from the 2012 and before is not great but it is not like he had superior talent to work with and his teams also ran the ball well. He was fantastic at Alabama and created some great game plans last season (see Barkley vs. Jets)

I'll see your Brock Osweiler and raise you a Peterman and Derek Anderson from last year. I haven't seen the Jets play in pre-season, my "judgement" of their secondary comes from reading on your forum and the media talking about the lack of depth and talent to go along with no pass rush.

Josh Allen isn't the most accurate QB (and far from it) but to say his throwing was "downright awful" is hilarious and box scouting at its best. 

I like Darnold a lot but he is still a turnover risk and something the Bills can take advantage of. The Jets WR are hardly anything to write home about themselves. 

I think it will be a close, good game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Sean McDermott is recognized as one of if not the best at disguising coverage's and getting the most out of a secondary.Even on this general forum he is viewed as a borderline top 10 coach. Daboll track record from the 2012 and before is not great but it is not like he had superior talent to work with and his teams also ran the ball well. He was fantastic at Alabama and created some great game plans last season (see Barkley vs. Jets)

I'll see your Brock Osweiler and raise you a Peterman and Derek Anderson from last year. I haven't seen the Jets play in pre-season, my "judgement" of their secondary comes from reading on your forum and the media talking about the lack of depth and talent to go along with no pass rush.

Josh Allen isn't the most accurate QB (and far from it) but to say his throwing was "downright awful" is hilarious and box scouting at its best. 

I like Darnold a lot but he is still a turnover risk and something the Bills can take advantage of. The Jets WR are hardly anything to write home about themselves. 

I think it will be a close, good game. 

For what it's worth Darnold played well as a rookie last year in BUF hanging 27 on the Bills at home in Week 13 with 66% completion and over 7 ypa.  He did have a 1 INT that game but on the road as a rookie against what you say is a good coach and secondary I have high hopes for him at home with a far superior offense.  All these 13 and 16 point predictions I see seem questionable.

If Sam is a TO risk then so is Allen I see no difference there.

For now our secondary is okay.  Once an injury strikes is when the issues will start to show so for now it's not a glaring weakness, yet.

OT: I'm interested to see Oliver play.  I think the Jets took the better player in Quinnen but I'm curious to see Oliver since he was an option for us according to all the reports.