Week 1 GDT: The Season is HERE! BUF @ NYJ

Trentwannabe

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

For what it's worth Darnold played well as a rookie last year in BUF hanging 27 on the Bills at home in Week 13 with 66% completion and over 7 ypa.  He did have a 1 INT that game but on the road as a rookie against what you say is a good coach and secondary I have high hopes for him at home with a far superior offense.  All these 13 and 16 point predictions I see seem questionable.

If Sam is a TO risk then so is Allen I see no difference there.

For now our secondary is okay.  Once an injury strikes is when the issues will start to show so for now it's not a glaring weakness, yet.

OT: I'm interested to see Oliver play.  I think the Jets took the better player in Quinnen but I'm curious to see Oliver since he was an option for us according to all the reports.

My guess for the lower score prediction is more because it is a new offense and new personnel more so than anything else. I agree Sam played well last season in Buffalo but he also only threw for 170 yards and is now in a new system. That system may prove to be better for him and the Jets but I think it is fair to assume week 1 they won't be clicking on all cylinders. 

I also think it is unfair to say Sam himself hung 27 on the Bills lol. He only threw one touchdown (a beautiful drive and play none the less) and KR Andre Roberts attributed to more yards  (176) then Darnold threw for. If memory serves Roberts on a KR got the ball down to the Bills like 5 yard line  and the Jets ran it in one play later. That game was a lot of back and forth and it was that KR that made the difference in the end.

I could see the Bills showing 4 and 5 WR sets this week. I think Buffalo likes the match-up of Foster vs. the 4th corner or a S. 

Where is Quinnen lining up? It would be really cool to see the two young QB's and two young DL battle for the next decade. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

My guess for the lower score prediction is more because it is a new offense and new personnel more so than anything else. I agree Sam played well last season in Buffalo but he also only threw for 170 yards and is now in a new system. That system may prove to be better for him and the Jets but I think it is fair to assume week 1 they won't be clicking on all cylinders. 

I also think it is unfair to say Sam himself hung 27 on the Bills lol. He only threw one touchdown (a beautiful drive and play none the less) and KR Andre Roberts attributed to more yards  (176) then Darnold threw for. If memory serves Roberts on a KR got the ball down to the Bills like 5 yard line  and the Jets ran it in one play later. That game was a lot of back and forth and it was that KR that made the difference in the end.

I could see the Bills showing 4 and 5 WR sets this week. I think Buffalo likes the match-up of Foster vs. the 4th corner or a S. 

Where is Quinnen lining up? It would be really cool to see the two young QB's and two young DL battle for the next decade. 

Our system was a joke last year.  The fact that Sam threw for that much was amazing actually given how terrible our OC was (he went back to hiking the globe after one bad season with us so that just tells you what we were working with).  I'd take a good new system over a comfortable bad one any day. 

I think we prefer to have you guys try and sling it on us because despite our lack of a competent 4th CB we want Allen throwing more.  If he is using his legs and your running game is going that is not good for us.

Our OL is better, our weapons are now way better, and as I said our system is better even if it's new.  If you guys are holding us to 13 points these days that means we are getting dominated and I just don't see our weapons being held to 13 points.  Allen is going to need to put up 24+ to win this game or Sam is going to need to provide a short field (which is possible).  Sam is going to sling it and we are going to score along with him turning the ball over.  As long as that TO is not a back breaker I like our chances.

My biggest concern as I see it being a close game is our inconsistency at K.  Would hate to see us lose on a missed kick.  You guys win if Allen runs for 50+, hits on a deep ball (I expect that to happen this game either way) and protects the football.  We win if Sam doesn't throw a big pick, our D doesn't give up more then one of those previously mentioned big plays, and our kicker is solid.

Q has been moving around but now that it's regular season I see him to line up mostly at 0 shade off center as the nose with some 3-tech over the guard.  I expect mostly nose as the 0 shade between the C and G over the 3-tech.  Leo will mostly play 3-tech and I expect us to play a strong front 4-2-5 with Anderson as the strong side DE.  We are really deep on the DL.  My guess is we'll try and push the pocket with big edge setters like Anderson, Jenkins, Faukusi to keep Allen in the pocket.  Last thing we want is our edge get pushed past the QB and Allen using his legs.  I like Adams and Cashman to split spy duties on Allen.

Edited by Rockice_8

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

meh, I don't think your coaches are all that to brag about and Brian Dobell is your OC, not like his resume is all that. Sean McDermmott is on a slightly worse streak than Adam Gase started out in Miami.  Gase had the Dolphins in 2nd place in the AFC east with no talent and Brock Osweiller starting at QB some games.  
I feel the Jets upgraded their coaching staff and front office. We will find out about Gase, but he sure is giddy to work with Darnold and finally have a QB he feels can run his offense.

The Jets secondary is healthy for this game, Trumaine Johnson is ready to go. With Maye back we have a elite safety tandem as Adams is among the best in the game and will show how elite he is. Don't judge our secondary from preseason, because those guys were all cut. My main concern is containing Allen from running, cause that was his best trait. Because his throwing was down right awful last season. 

Our offense is gonna be sneaky good, I feel like Darnold is about to break out. He seems to love this high tempo offense and as long as our guys stay healthy, we have enough for him to be good. Herndon being out this game hurts, Darnold likes throwing to him. But LeVeon Bell seems ready and eager to go to prove to everyone hes still elite.   Week 1 never tells all, but should be a good game.  

Im from South Florida and he was giddy about Ryan Tannehill too when he came in as HC. Until he has proven something other then being OC for Peyton Manning he hasnt come across as this said QB guru that people raved about when he was in Miami. It will be a wait and see with how he is with the Jets. 

Trumaine may say he is ready but Hamstring injuries linger so I wouldnt be surprised hes not 100% for this game as a couple weeks isnt ideal for a full healing of that type of injury.

To say Allen was down right awful is laughable considering the situation he was in last year to this year. Just like you said dont think of preseason its the same way you can say about allen last year. His wide receivers led the league in dropped catches which they made huge adjustments by adding players like Beasley and brown. His oline was nonexistent and was throwing alot on the run so as much as you want to say darnold can break out we can say the same with Allen now that he has a built oline and weapons that can actually catch the ball. Im not sold on a rb being out for 18 months with no in game play since then to be a full go week 1. I think he will be back in to swing of things week 4-5 if he hasnt lost a step. 

32 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im from South Florida and he was giddy about Ryan Tannehill too when he came in as HC. Until he has proven something other then being OC for Peyton Manning he hasnt come across as this said QB guru that people raved about when he was in Miami. It will be a wait and see with how he is with the Jets. 

Trumaine may say he is ready but Hamstring injuries linger so I wouldnt be surprised hes not 100% for this game as a couple weeks isnt ideal for a full healing of that type of injury.

To say Allen was down right awful is laughable considering the situation he was in last year to this year. Just like you said dont think of preseason its the same way you can say about allen last year. His wide receivers led the league in dropped catches which they made huge adjustments by adding players like Beasley and brown. His oline was nonexistent and was throwing alot on the run so as much as you want to say darnold can break out we can say the same with Allen now that he has a built oline and weapons that can actually catch the ball. Im not sold on a rb being out for 18 months with no in game play since then to be a full go week 1. I think he will be back in to swing of things week 4-5 if he hasnt lost a step. 

He can be giddy about Tannehill but Sam is not Tannehill.  What did you expect him to say Tannehill stinks?  I actually think Gase did a nice job getting a pretty awful MIA team to win as many games as he did.

As for Tru yeah I get it's a possible concern but he'll either be full go or re injure it.  There's really no inbetween with hamstrings so we'll see.

I like Brown and Beasley but they wouldn't start on the Jets.  Don't sleep on Ty either even if Bell had to ease his way back Ty has been a nightmare to matchup with for LB'ers.  

I'm not a fan of either QB honestly and I think both QB's will have at best an average career I'm a huge Buffalo Bills fan but I have to call em as I see em.  I think both D's could be elite this season.  Since it's the first week and usually the D is a head of the O in most cases I think this game will be low scoring the key will be if we could contain Bell.  Not a big fan of either O line to start the season.  I do think the Buffalo Bills O line will grow as the season goes on but early on it will struggle.  Both QB's will throw at least an INT it will be a great game if you enjoy Defense I got the Bills winning 13-10 as I think our D is slightly better then the Jets.  BTW I hope that I'm wrong about Allen because I love his fire and passion for the game and I'd hate to have to rebuild again lord knows we've been through enough of those.  

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

He can be giddy about Tannehill but Sam is not Tannehill.  What did you expect him to say Tannehill stinks?  I actually think Gase did a nice job getting a pretty awful MIA team to win as many games as he did.

As for Tru yeah I get it's a possible concern but he'll either be full go or re injure it.  There's really no inbetween with hamstrings so we'll see.

I like Brown and Beasley but they wouldn't start on the Jets.  Don't sleep on Ty either even if Bell had to ease his way back Ty has been a nightmare to matchup with for LB'ers.  

Haha because the Jets Wr are screaming elite. Lets be real, the talent is similar on both sides of the offense for weapons. Neither team has elite talent but good enough to benefit the QB when it comes to passing. Beasley and Brown are big upgrades to 2018 bills wr. Having an UDFA rookie be your best offensive weapon wasnt ideal. Cole Beasley will lead the team in receptions but Brown will lead the team in yards.  

As for Gase my comment is in respect of him saying what needs to be said when it comes to being head coach and to only take it for what it is. Like you said Tannehill isnt anything special and Darnold isnt screaming Tom Brady talent just yet. He still needs time to develop just like Allen. Both teams are to young to tell whether they will be 10 win teams or 8 win teams. 

Ty couldnt get things done with Ravens and Green Bay he is one of those guys who tries to be a gadget rb/wr so I will sleep on him until otherwise. I think Powell is underrated and doesnt get enough credit he can play very well at times to the point it was frustrating to watch at a FF standpoint. He was making plays and then all of a sudden get pulled for no reason. He is the key to the offense when bell is not on the field. 

Its going to come down to trench wars, who is going to last against the bills o vs jets d and jets o vs bills d. This is what is going to dictate whether Darnold and/or Allen have a good game or bad one. 

To me the bills have the slight edge over the jets because of the bills defense being #2 against the pass and #1 against the run and nothing has changed from that group of players. Matt Milano who missed 3 quarters of that game to injury is a key player who will be back on the field Sunday. The communication is still fluid since 10 of the 11 starters are in tact on defense with Ed Oliver coming in to replace Kyle Williams, which the jets have to start fresh with Gase and his offense so miscues are definitely going to happen early on. Week 17 may be a different story as the Jets will have time to gel and should be on the same page a few games in to the season. 

15 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Haha because the Jets Wr are screaming elite. Lets be real, the talent is similar on both sides of the offense for weapons. Neither team has elite talent but good enough to benefit the QB when it comes to passing. Beasley and Brown are big upgrades to 2018 bills wr. Having an UDFA rookie be your best offensive weapon wasnt ideal. Cole Beasley will lead the team in receptions but Brown will lead the team in yards.  

As for Gase my comment is in respect of him saying what needs to be said when it comes to being head coach and to only take it for what it is. Like you said Tannehill isnt anything special and Darnold isnt screaming Tom Brady talent just yet. He still needs time to develop just like Allen. Both teams are to young to tell whether they will be 10 win teams or 8 win teams. 

Ty couldnt get things done with Ravens and Green Bay he is one of those guys who tries to be a gadget rb/wr so I will sleep on him until otherwise. I think Powell is underrated and doesnt get enough credit he can play very well at times to the point it was frustrating to watch at a FF standpoint. He was making plays and then all of a sudden get pulled for no reason. He is the key to the offense when bell is not on the field. 

Its going to come down to trench wars, who is going to last against the bills o vs jets d and jets o vs bills d. This is what is going to dictate whether Darnold and/or Allen have a good game or bad one. 

To me the bills have the slight edge over the jets because of the bills defense being #2 against the pass and #1 against the run and nothing has changed from that group of players. Matt Milano who missed 3 quarters of that game to injury is a key player who will be back on the field Sunday. The communication is still fluid since 10 of the 11 starters are in tact on defense with Ed Oliver coming in to replace Kyle Williams, which the jets have to start fresh with Gase and his offense so miscues are definitely going to happen early on. Week 17 may be a different story as the Jets will have time to gel and should be on the same page a few games in to the season. 

It's really not even close if you are being honest since as I said not one of your RB, WR, or TE's would start for the Jets.

I get it's an upgrade for you but it's still pretty bad.

Their are spots where I think BUF has the edge but offensive weapons as a whole is pretty lopsided.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

It's really not even close if you are being honest since as I said not one of your RB, WR, or TE's would start for the Jets.

I get it's an upgrade for you but it's still pretty bad.

Their are spots where I think BUF has the edge but offensive weapons as a whole is pretty lopsided.

You're being a homer if you believe your weapons are lopsided. Depth matters in the modern NFL offense. You are clearly undervaluing our WRs, depth especially. Bell is the only clear advantage you have. Everything else can go either way depending on the fit in scheme/offense and personal biases. 

Bell >>> Gore / Singletary (an unknown fwiw) ... Obvious one, but can he produce with a much weaker offensive line? regardless, he gets the edge on talent alone. 

Ty Montgomery ... Singletary / Gore ... Give me Singletary or Gore by a lot.

Bilal Powell ... T.J. Yeldon ... let's be honest, both are underwhelming. Pretty equal as well.

Robby Anderson ... John Brown ... Fairly even, slight edge to Anderson because of his familiarity w/ Darnold but I think Brown is has just as much talent. 

Quincy Enunwa ... Zay Jones ... Enunwa if he's 100% healthy gets the edge here. 

Jamison Crowder ... Cole Beasley ... After watching Allen and Beas this preseason, Beasley could eclipse 80+ catches easy. I'd give him the edge. Crowder has trouble staying on the field.

Josh Bellamy / Braxton Berrios ... Robert Foster / Andre Roberts / Isaiah McKenzie ... I don't think it's close. Bills depth takes it here with Foster alone. I would even argue Foster over Enunwa but he's struggled this offseason. We're hoping he bounces back. 

Ryan Griffin ... Dawson Knox ... Knox is an unknown but I feel like his talent is superior. Herndon being active would give you the edge but he's suspended.

I like what we have for depth though to balance it out. Robert Foster is very talented as a #4 WR who will still see the field plenty. Tommy Sweeney looked really good with Allen and the 1s all offseason despite where he was drafted. Worth noting that none of it really matters without good QB and OL play. I'm not going to both arguing Darnold vs. Allen because we both like our guys better and they do different things better than the other. I like our OL more and I'm sure you like yours more.

Edited by NickChowaniec

Just now, NickChowaniec said:

You're being a homer if you believe your weapons are lopsided. Depth matters in the modern NFL offense. You are clearly undervaluing our WRs, depth especially. Bell is the only clear advantage you have. Everything else can go either way depending on the fit in scheme/offense and personal biases. 

Bell >>> Gore / Singletary (an unknown fwiw) ... Obvious one, but can he produce with a much weaker offensive line? regardless, he gets the edge on talent alone. 

Ty Montgomery ... Singletary / Gore ... Give me Singletary or Gore by a lot.

Bilal Powell ... T.J. Yeldon ... let's be honest, both are underwhelming. Pretty equal as well.

Robby Anderson ... John Brown ... Fairly even, slight edge to Anderson because of his familiarity w/ Darnold but I think Brown is has just as much talent. 

Quincy Enunwa ... Zay Jones ... Enunwa if he's 100% healthy gets the edge here. 

Jamison Crowder ... Cole Beasley ... After watching Allen and Beas this preseason, Beasley could eclipse 80+ catches easy. I'd give him the edge. Crowder has trouble staying on the field.

Josh Bellamy / Braxton Berrios ... Robert Foster / Andre Roberts / Isaiah McKenzie ... I don't think it's close. Bills depth takes it here with Foster alone. I would even argue Foster over Enunwa but he's struggled this offseason. We're hoping he bounces back. 

Ryan Griffin ... Dawson Knox ... Knox is an unknown but I feel like his talent is superior. Herndon being active would give you the edge but he's suspended.

I like what we have for depth though to balance it out. Robert Foster is very talented as a #4 WR who will still see the field plenty. Tommy Sweeney looked really good with Allen and the 1s all offseason despite where he was drafted. Worth noting that none of it really matters without good QB and OL play. I'm not going to both arguing Darnold vs. Allen because we both like our guys better and they do different things better than the other. I like our OL more and I'm sure you like yours more.

And I'm being a homer?

Again Brown is easily your best WR and would probably be WR#4 on the Jets maybe #3 over Enunwa on the outside but overall the Jets are better.  Crowder had 1 season where he was banged up, he's not injury prone he played 15+ games in 3 of his 4 years.

You guys have your strengths, offensive weapons aren't one of them.  It's not saying you are terrible it's just being honest.  Truth is I wouldn't trade the Jets WR, TE, or RB depth chart for the Bills and if you were being honest you probably would agree.  I'd take your CB's and LB's over ours.

11 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

And I'm being a homer?

Again Brown is easily your best WR and would probably be WR#4 on the Jets maybe #3 over Enunwa on the outside but overall the Jets are better.  Crowder had 1 season where he was banged up, he's not injury prone he played 15+ games in 3 of his 4 years.

You guys have your strengths, offensive weapons aren't one of them.  It's not saying you are terrible it's just being honest.  Truth is I wouldn't trade the Jets WR, TE, or RB depth chart for the Bills and if you were being honest you probably would agree.  I'd take your CB's and LB's over ours.

You said lopsided and it's not. That was my point. Homerism is showing on both sides, it's whatever.  

There is literally ONE elite player amongst both groups and everyone else is average. Both WR groups as a whole are honestly quite weak so it's kind of funny that we're arguing it lol. I'd rank both of them bottom half.

We could each get a true #1 WR and it would dramatically change the argument. I'm hoping we get Juedy or Higgins next year.

13 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

This is turning into who is the tallest midget but for weapons on offense.

If we turn to defense though the Jets can't even sniff Jerry Hughes jock strap in regards to a pass rush which could allow Allen all the time he needs to deliver a ball to his smurfs. 

Exactly. Neither offense has enough weapons to go anywhere further than fighting for a wild card spot, best case scenario. 

12 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

This is turning into who is the tallest midget but for weapons on offense.

If we turn to defense though the Jets can't even sniff Jerry Hughes jock strap in regards to a pass rush which could allow Allen all the time he needs to deliver a ball to his smurfs. 

The Jerry Hughes who had the same amount of sacks as Jordan Jenkins.  That Jerry Hughes?