Week 1 GDT: Titans @ Browns

ttitansfan4life

4 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I was going to say exactly that. He was pretty invincible overall, but did have a couple missed tackles. He'll definitely have better games. 

I also don't understand where Mariota had a bad game. He missed a couple of throws that I can remember... But man, he was getting constant pressure in the 1st half... Way too many unblocked rushers... I believe that's being forgotten. The drop by Dion could have been a TD, he had the blockers in front... And I consider that pass to CD a drop. He threw it high, for sure... But it hit Corey in both hands... Not an easy catch, but a catch a #1 WR should make routinely. 

I thought he was ok yesterday, but I’m happy he finally had a game where the stats were better than his performance, because it’s consistently been the other way around.

The pass to Corey was a miss, CD could have caught it, but when he gives you that separation, you need to put it on him. The miss to Tajae was really bad. He had a receiver open in the end zone at one point and instead threw into coverage.

He was fine though.

I am really excited to see what this offense looks like in a month when Lewan and Pamphile are back and we can actually spread things out. I was critical of Arthur Smith for the formations for the first quarter and a half but then we finally spread it out and Kelly got massacred by Garrett immediately.

There’s no way we drafted Brown and signed Humphries with that scheme in mind, so I appreciate the adjustments to make sure we don’t get Marcus killed in these first four weeks.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I thought he was ok yesterday, but I’m happy he finally had a game where the stats were better than his performance, because it’s consistently been the other way around.

The pass to Corey was a miss, CD could have caught it, but when he gives you that separation, you need to put it on him. The miss to Tajae was really bad. He had a receiver open in the end zone at one point and instead threw into coverage.

He was fine though.

I am really excited to see what this offense looks like in a month when Lewan and Pamphile are back and we can actually spread things out. I was critical of Arthur Smith for the formations for the first quarter and a half but then we finally spread it out and Kelly got massacred by Garrett immediately.

There’s no way we drafted Brown and signed Humphries with that scheme in mind, so I appreciate the adjustments to make sure we don’t get Marcus killed in these first four weeks.

Yeah, I watched other games carefully and saw misfires from QBs of all levels. From Brady, Big Ben to Cousins.  To think a QB is never going to miss isn't realistic. Even Baker misfired multiple times and people feel like he is very accurate.  
He played the game that was needed, made the passes that ultimately mattered and got the ball to those who could make plays. 

If he would have missed those "easy" passes to say Brown, we'd be ready to hurl him off the bridge, but he made the throws he needed and that is good enough for me. 

27 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

He was fine though.

yeah, that's the big thing for me is like.....this is what happens when you run an actual modern, situationally-aware NFL offense that makes sense lmao. your QB can move the ball and have a decent statistical output even if he doesn't have his best day, because you're throwing the ball more than like 20 times a game (i know we only threw 24 times but that was more a function of the blowout- we threw 18 in the first half) and not constantly putting yourself in these life-and-death 3rd and longs. like, the only time our offense functioned last year (until henry got rolling) was when marcus was basically perfect on 3rd and long, and that's insane to expect of any QB. 

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

If this message board (NFL General) is any indication of what the media thinks, it's an overreaction to Mariota's struggles.  He's never going to be 38-50 for 450 yards because our offense isn't going to ask that of him.  And he's been gutting out injuries his whole career which has affected his performance.  But that seems to have been twisted into this belief that he's a Bortles or Gabbert or something which, I think, is equally wrong.  When he's healthy, he's a smart, mechanically sound, accurate passer who can create plays when everything breaks down.  And if we've finally stumbled upon the OC who can draw up plays to his strengths, I think we're going to see the real Marcus.  But not many people outside of Nashville even believe that's possible.

Hell, the very post in this thread by the Browns fan after the game basically sums it up: 

21 hours ago, DawgX said:

Wish I could say good game, but that was a pathetic performance on our part. Totally undisciplined. I hope it's just the rust of week one and not a sign of things to come, but I'm a bit worried.

You guys are just a legit QB away from being true SB contenders. Unfortunately, finding a top QB is obviously easier said than done.

That's still the perception of us nationally lol. 

6 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Hell, the very post in this thread by the Browns fan after the game basically sums it up: 

That's still the perception of us nationally lol. 

Am I wrong? You guys have talent on both sides of the ball but Mariota isn't anything special.

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Am I wrong? You guys have talent on both sides of the ball but Mariota isn't anything special.

Don't worry too much about it. This fanbase is pretty split on Mariota either being a good QB or a terrible one.

For whatever reason they can't reach the conclusion of what he actually is, which is average(as you put, not anything special).

I suppose that's like most things in life, though. People are always at one extreme or another as it relates to an opinion on something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

My disagreement would be with the implication that he holds the team back. He’s not an elite quarterback, but this is also the first time he’s played with more than one NFL caliber receiver in his career. The bulk stats paint a far tougher picture than his actual performances. It’s why it’s funny that yesterday, when he was merely adequate, he had one of his better statistical games.

4 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Yes, you're wrong. Healthy Mariota is a very dangerous player.

YUP

Let everyone keep sleeping on MM and our squad while we keep racking up these Ws. Like even some of you on here be sleeping. Lmk if yall need another pillow or something LOL  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

If this message board (NFL General) is any indication of what the media thinks, it's an overreaction to Mariota's struggles.  He's never going to be 38-50 for 450 yards because our offense isn't going to ask that of him.  And he's been gutting out injuries his whole career which has affected his performance.  But that seems to have been twisted into this belief that he's a Bortles or Gabbert or something which, I think, is equally wrong.  When he's healthy, he's a smart, mechanically sound, accurate passer who can create plays when everything breaks down.  And if we've finally stumbled upon the OC who can draw up plays to his strengths, I think we're going to see the real Marcus.  But not many people outside of Nashville even believe that's possible.

That's definitely part of the reason, but it's not the whole story. If it were, I could maybe grasp that. But our roster, even if you were to account for some inconsistencies with Mariota, definitely doesn't belong outside of the top 20 on a power ranking, not to anyone that, again, is supposed to have better knowledge about the game and the state of the league than your regular fan. We beat Houston last year with Gabbert, now that we get a much better backup solution, one that some people even believed might take over the job, we're somehow dropping to the bottom of the league in terms of perception, and all this while the roster hasn't gotten worse by any means, if anything the contrary?

20 minutes ago, DawgX said:

You’re not wrong... This team is a legit SB contender with a real franchise QB. Hell, add Stafford(who I’m not a big fan of) and the Titans likely win 12 games. The best Marcus can be is a game manager IMO assuming Henry can run wild this season. Distribute to the weapons and Titans do have some good weapons when healthy and that’s about all I can hope for.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

7 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

You’re not wrong... This team is a legit SB contender with a real franchise QB. Hell, add Stafford(who I’m not a big fan of) and the Titans likely win 12 games. The best Marcus can be is a game manager IMO assuming Henry can run wild this season. Distribute to the weapons and Titans do have some good weapons when healthy and that’s about all I can hope for.

Matthew Stafford would be the third best quarterback on our roster.

11 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

stafford lmaooooo

the guy who's won like 3 games against teams with winning records his entire career