Week 1 GDT: Titans @ Browns

ttitansfan4life

Someone else here mentioned it, but I wonder what Delanie's snap count was about. They used Jonnu on blocking snaps far more often. Delanie had 1 pass block play, 5 run block plays, out of 27 total snaps(21 receiver plays, obviously). Jonnu played 37 snaps, 7 pass blocking, 20 run blocking of 37 snaps(9 receiver snaps, 1 rushing snap).

I wonder if they're keeping Delanie on a snap count, because Walker in his career has been a much, much better blocker than Jonnu. Or maybe there was just something in the game plan/film that told them to use Jonnu more on those snaps for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

Agree to disagree like I said I can’t aegue that Stafford hasn’t won anything but it’s a team thing also. But he’s a far better QB than Mariota playing from the pocket 

I don't know...every time I have watched Stafford at length, I come away thoroughly unimpressed. 

QB 1: TD%: 4.4 INT%: 2.6 YPA: 7.5

QB 2: TD%: 4.4 INT%: 2.4  YPA: 7.1

These are Stafford and Mariota's numbers. 0021 Already gave a big, glaring hint as to who is who here, but Stafford is no more effective than Mariota is(you could argue less effective), and against good teams, Stafford is unquestionably worse.

0021 is accurate, Stafford's numbers are only what they are compared to Mariota's because of volume. In terms of efficiency? He's no better.

Edit: To include completion %, one is at 63.2%, the other at 62.4%.

Edited by TitanLegend

8 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

So I’m looking at yesterday’s highlights & the play that Mariota takes the sack right after the big play by brown, mariota clearly holds on to the ball too long. He has Pruitt wide open in the flat as a check down 7:29 sec mark. 🤦🏽‍♂️ Terrible awareness 

I'm not sure if you're serious.  I'm thinking we could break down an entire game of any QB in history and find one instance of him missing an open guy on a read.

Did you notice any of his good reads and throws?  The times he's under pressure and still makes a positive play?  1:29, 2:13, 3:00, 3:23... 

Would you take Baker instead?  Should we go over his good and bad plays?

Speaking of Baker, he was garbage against good teams last year. Was like 1-5, threw more INTs than TDs, etc. If the Titans have a winning record again this season, those stats were made even worse yesterday.

But it's another example of the media's love for box score scouting. Baker is the 2nd coming because "omg he had 26 tds last year" or some nonsense, as if stat padding vs garbage teams makes you a good QB. Baker has the talent and tools to be good, and might very well be good. But the media's rush to proclaim him as great or the next elite QB is stupid, just as it was for Mariota and Carr after 2016.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I'm not sure if you're serious.  I'm thinking we could break down an entire game of any QB in history and find one instance of him missing an open guy on a read.

Did you notice any of his good reads and throws?  The times he's under pressure and still makes a positive play?  1:29, 2:13, 3:00, 3:23... 

Would you take Baker instead?  Should we go over his good and bad plays?

Oh hush don’t have a cow I brought up that play because there was an argument yesterday did Mariota had a check down or was it immediate pressure & he couldn’t go anywhere with the ball so it was either take a sack or attentional grounding 👍🏽 As the evidence show he had a check down 

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

Oh hush don’t have a cow I brought up that play because there was an argument yesterday did Mariota had a check down or was it immediate pressure & he couldn’t go anywhere with the ball so it was either take a sack or attentional grounding 👍🏽 As the evidence show he had a check down 

I'm not having a cow.  I think this is just an example of confirmation bias.  When we are convinced of a conclusion (like Mariota is bad), then the plays which seem to confirm that stick out.  It's true for the other side of the argument too.  It's just that if we're looking at yesterday's game, there was FAR more good than bad.

4 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I'm not having a cow.  I think this is just an example of confirmation bias.  When we are convinced of a conclusion (like Mariota is bad), then the plays which seem to confirm that stick out.  It's true for the other side of the argument too.  It's just that if we're looking at yesterday's game, there was FAR more good than bad.

Again I wasn’t looking at yesterday’s game as a whole just that specific play because there was an argument about mariota not having no one to throw to & taking a sack VS him not get rid of the ball. That’s all that was 

One positive Mariota possesses is he produces well as it relates to YPA. This is important because YPA is generally the best "basic" passing statistic as it relates to who is going to win the game(Net Yards Per Attempt and Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt are even better, but YPA still correlates very well with who wins the game). So far this week, the teams with the higher YPA are 11-2-1(ties suck btw). The two losses were the Rams beating the Panthers despite Newton's YPA being higher, and the Eagles beating the Redskins despite Keenum's being higher. Though worth noting Carson also had a YPA of 8.0 to Keenum's 8.6, so both had elite days as it relates to YPA.

So in a comparison of two QBs who throw roughly the same amount of completions/TDs/INTs per attempt, you're going to want the guy who produces more YPA.

• Like 2

We only six 40+ yard receptions all of last season. We've already reached half of that this season with this game alone.

Those big, explosive plays is something this offense has desperately needed (shoutout specifically to AJ Brown and Arthur Smith). Hopefully we can keep it going throughout the season.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

But it's another example of the media's love for box score scouting. Baker is the 2nd coming because "omg he had 26 tds last year" or some nonsense, as if stat padding vs garbage teams makes you a good QB. Baker has the talent and tools to be good, and might very well be good. But the media's rush to proclaim him as great or the next elite QB is stupid, just as it was for Mariota and Carr after 2016.

I think the hype train with Baker is nothing out of the ordinary.  We see it almost every year with rookie QBs.  You saw the same thing with Deshaun Watson the year before: a rookie plays well for a rookie, and despite the overwhelming history of sophomore slumps, the media immediately crown them as the GOAT.  I can almost guarantee we'll see the same thing next season after Murray, or Jones, or Haskins comes on late in the season and does something good.  Suddenly the Cards or the Giants or the Skins will be THE team for 2020.

14 hours ago, titanrick said:

I think there's truth in both of yall's statements.  I'm a Mariota defender, and I noticed quite a few throws where he missed open receivers or missed reads; there were more than I think you should want to see from your QB.  It wasn't a great game for him, but it was certainly a good game.  He never fumbled, and he never put the ball in any risky places, and I don't remember any close or dropped INTs, which is what you want when your team is winning.  And he was under pressure a lot from the Browns, including taking several late, low, nasty hits.

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I'm not one to second guess Pees, but we probably shouldn't be dropping DaQuan into coverage.

I wish I had some All-22 tape, but I think that something that doesn't get considered in the idea that "Marcus (or any QB) missed an open receiver" is the QB's actual body positioning and feet placement at the time where a guy is open. Sometimes a WR can come open, but Marcus/the QB is making a different read at the time and, by the time he gets to that WR, he's no longer open. Not saying that this is always the case by any means, but something to consider. if that makes any sense

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I wish I had some All-22 tape, but I think that something that doesn't get considered in the idea that "Marcus (or any QB) missed an open receiver" is the QB's actual body positioning and feet placement at the time where a guy is open. Sometimes a WR can come open, but Marcus/the QB is making a different read at the time and, by the time he gets to that WR, he's no longer open. Not saying that this is always the case by any means, but something to consider. if that makes any sense

That’s what I was saying with that sack he took. When a play is designed to take an intermediate to deep shot to his left, there’s no way he is going to get to the tight end in the flat on his right when the pressure comes from his right in two seconds. In Madden, I can make that read all day, but in real life, I think that route was more of a decoy to just draw a defender away from the play.

He still needs to sail that ball out of bounds in the general vicinity of his deep receiver, but that was really his only option.