Week 1 GDT: Titans @ Browns

ttitansfan4life

here's the harsh reality for the cleveland browns

their entire team consists of guys who haven't consistently won at this level. they don't know HOW to win at this level. you can LEARN how to (see: us), but it doesn't happen overnight 

plus, Kitchens was a mistake hire.

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

here's the harsh reality for the cleveland browns

their entire team consists of guys who haven't consistently won at this level. they don't know HOW to win at this level. you can LEARN how to (see: us), but it doesn't happen overnight 

plus, Kitchens was a mistake hire.

To me it's not team building. It's just getting players. 
Traded away the OG for Vernon and severely weakened the O-Line. 

Doesn't seem like any real rhyme or reason to their moves. 

Blair: Facing questions about his status as a franchise quarterback coming into the season, Mariota surely eased concerns in Tennessee with his performance in Cleveland. The Browns gifted the Titans the upper hand via a flood of penalties and turnovers, but don't skimp on credit for Mariota, who took full advantage of the opportunities that came his way, pushing what had been a close contest into laugher territory by capitalizing on mistakes made by Cleveland. Mariota's day could be summed up by this fact: In his last three consecutive pass attempts, he completed three passes for 93 yards and three touchdowns, the last two set up by Baker Mayfield interceptions. (Yes, the first was a 75-yard catch-and-run by Derrick Henry, but still.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001053874/article/qb-index-week-2-lamar-jackson-dak-prescott-rocket-up-ranks 

I don't know this guy. But it's funny how people can watch the same game and get totally different things from it. 
Let local fans and some personalities tell it, Marcus had a bad game (3 bad/questionable throws out of 24). 

But then there are others and this guy who thinks Marcus delivered.

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001053874/article/qb-index-week-2-lamar-jackson-dak-prescott-rocket-up-ranks 

I don't know this guy. But it's funny how people can watch the same game and get totally different things from it. 
Let local fans and some personalities tell it, Marcus had a bad game (3 bad/questionable throws out of 24). 

I mean he played great in the 2nd half but the first half was definitely shaky. Missed 4 easy passes. Ok that happens at times. What I didn’t like was the sacks he took especially the one directly after the big play to Brown. He had a solid game but with the way the Browns were playing(the penalties), it should’ve been at least a two score game at half time. 

12 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

To me it's not team building. It's just getting players. 
Traded away the OG for Vernon and severely weakened the O-Line. 

Doesn't seem like any real rhyme or reason to their moves. 

This is true. You have to win in the trenches in this league. That’s football. If you can’t control the LOS on both sides of the ball, you won’t be a successful team. I don’t care how many weapons you add.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Most of it, I’m sure, is that we watch every game. We don’t fall for stat lines. Marcus has had some great games where he has thrown for 175 yards and no touchdowns, but nationally, they just see that as a bad game. So when they watch and he looks like he usually does, but actually gets the numbers, they’re surprised that he’s competent, whereas our bar is higher.

26 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This is true. You have to win in the trenches in this league. That’s football. If you can’t control the LOS on both sides of the ball, you won’t be a successful team. I don’t care how many weapons you add.

And, unlike how we game planned to overcome our weaknesses on the line, the Browns just repeatedly left their tackles on islands.

That, more than anything, would worry me as a Browns fan. The lack of adjustments to take pressure off the line, especially when the wheels first started to fall off. 

36 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

And, unlike how we game planned to overcome our weaknesses on the line, the Browns just repeatedly left their tackles on islands.

That, more than anything, would worry me as a Browns fan. The lack of adjustments to take pressure off the line, especially when the wheels first started to fall off. 

They played Whiz ball. 
Here is my system run it.

Rather than...ok this guy can maul anyone but pass blocking is suspect. Yes I'd love a guy to do both, but let me find ways to help this guy. 

I think we also give pro coaches too much credit at times. We assume they are the best of the best, but truthfully some of them are clueless and have no idea how to gameplan properly. I don't know Kitchens, but I feel he was calling plays like "Hmm this worked a couple games ago let me run it again." Calling plays like he playing Madden, rather than observing what is going on.

41 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Most of it, I’m sure, is that we watch every game. We don’t fall for stat lines. Marcus has had some great games where he has thrown for 175 yards and no touchdowns, but nationally, they just see that as a bad game. So when they watch and he looks like he usually does, but actually gets the numbers, they’re surprised that he’s competent, whereas our bar is higher.

This is very true.

They are surprise to know he can throw from the pocket. 
Like that MNF game against the Colts when he had that bad hamstring. He was dealing from the pocket but Gruden acted like he was the second coming of Tebow and shocked to see him able to pass from the pocket..lol

Just now, KingTitan said:

This is very true.

They are surprise to know he can throw from the pocket. 
Like that MNF game against the Colts when he had that bad hamstring. He was dealing from the pocket but Gruden acted like he was the second coming of Tebow and shocked to see him able to pass from the pocket..lol

The national knowledge of Mariota is non-existent, which isn’t surprising given that he’s a super quiet guy on a good, but not great small-market team. It’s shown every week, when the analysts constantly talk about getting him on the move to help him get in rhythm, when he’s always been a far better quarterback in the pocket than outside of it. 

33 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The national knowledge of Mariota is non-existent, which isn’t surprising given that he’s a super quiet guy on a good, but not great small-market team. It’s shown every week, when the analysts constantly talk about getting him on the move to help him get in rhythm, when he’s always been a far better quarterback in the pocket than outside of it. 

It doesn’t matter if we’re a small market team, the reason Mariota doesn’t get recognition is because he’s inconsistent. The kid got national attention his rookie & sophomore year because at 1 point he was looking like he was going to transcend into something great. That being said if mariota balls out & the Titans look like a powerhouse team, he’ll get the recognition & respect 

As great as this performance was, we still have things to fix. 

The defense was outstanding... But there is room to improve and be more consistent. They allowed Mayfield to go 9/10 for 118 yards and 1/0 in their 2 scoring drives. Outside those drives, Mayfield went 16/28 for 167 yards and 0/3. That's a perfect qb rating on 2 drives and under 35 the rest of the game. Even when opponents score, we have to make it a little more difficult than 9/10.

While Mariota didn't have a bad game, he also didn't have a great game either. His last three attempts went for TDs... Only attempted those 2 passes to Delanie in the 4th...and the Henry screen was his last attempt in the 3rd. 2/2,18 yards and 2/0 in the 4th.... Went 5/5 for 69 total in the 2nd half, excluding the screen pass (6/6, 144, 3/0 including the screen in the 2nd half). We didn't ask him to do a lot... But can't get much more efficient than that. But he went 8/18 in the 1st...with those two drops... I'll continue counting the CD pass as a drop, since it's a catch I expect every and any #1 to make... And Dion's drop was huge as it was a 3rd down, and a likely TD. If those 2 are caught, Mariota's line is at 66 comp %, 275 yards or so, 4/0, and very near a perfect qb rating. 

And that's with pretty bad showing from the oline, especially in the 1st half. Once Lewan and Pamphile return, this could be a very good unit. That Lewan/Saffold left side could be vicious in the run game. 

On defense, Casey was quiet, as was Byard outside his pick. Evans had a couple of badly missed tackles. Those are 3 of our more important players on that side of the ball... And we still dominated with the 3 of them being off this week. 

It's kinda scary how good this team can be once all the pieces come together. If Mariota stays healthy, I fully expect a deep playoff run. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't call the Davis target a drop. If he catches that, that's a really good catch. Some guys will come down with that, but you can count the guys who will do it consistently on one hand. There are a lot more QBs that can consistently make that throw than there are WRs who make that catch.

Mariota sailed the ball and the blame for the incompletion lies primarily on him.

Hopefully he was just a little rusty. He does have a tendency to occasionally float the ball, but he's usually pretty accurate.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I wouldn't call the Davis target a drop. If he catches that, that's a really good catch. Some guys will come down with that, but you can count the guys who will do it consistently on one hand. There are a lot more QBs that can consistently make that throw than there are WRs who make that catch.

Mariota sailed the ball and the blame for the incompletion lies primarily on him.

Hopefully he was just a little rusty. He does have a tendency to occasionally float the ball, but he's usually pretty accurate.

And if my #5 el still can't make s play for his qb when he misses slightly (still hit both his hands) in year 3...then I'm staying to question his status as a potential 1.

And I'm a Davis fan... He was my AAT last year. Mariota the high, but it's a catch I expect my #1 to make... I wish I could find a replay of that pass. At first look, I thought it was all on Mariota, but then on the replay, I came to the conclusion that Davis shoulda caught it... I'd like to see it a 3rd time

• Like 1