Browns Cut Greg Robinson

goldfishwars

36 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Dorsey’s goal is a multi-year deal (which he wanted to begin with. Give more money to Robinson but spread out over another year or two and makes the cap hit smaller this year.

Also it shielded Drew Forbes from being snagged by another team before going to IR. Robinson isn’t subject to waivers. They were one man over 53. Killed two birds with one stone.

Edited by pnies20

54 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The thing that gets me is--are the Browns in cap trouble? Last I checked, I don't think so. So...what the hell is the point of all this? Re-sign Robinson without cutting him. Right? 

Its a timing of placing a player on the IR.

Forbes, young and promising linemen. Hurt his knee and will be out a few weeks. If they placed him on the IR before being on the final 53 man roster, he would have to stay on it all year. Now with the way they are manipulating the roster with Robinson. It puts Forbes on the final roster and now they can place him on the IR and he now has the ability to come back after 8 weeks.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Its a timing of placing a player on the IR.

Forbes, young and promising linemen. Hurt his knee and will be out a few weeks. If they placed him on the IR before being on the final 53 man roster, he would have to stay on it all year. Now with the way they are manipulating the roster with Robinson. It puts Forbes on the final roster and now they can place him on the IR and he now has the ability to come back after 8 weeks.  

Drew Forbes aka Prospect X right? How did he look before his injury?

11 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Haven’t been keeping tabs on GRob since he flopped on the Rams 

how has he been doing for the Browns?

He has been serviceable. Browns scheme helps hide him a decent amount but his hands are garbage. Dude got called for 10holds in 8 games last year

5 hours ago, Gmen said:

Also, hasn’t Zeitler’s replacement been pretty bad?

It doesn’t matter how many weapons you have if you can’t win in the trenches. 

Eric Kush has been fine. Our fans panic if every o-linemen doesn’t play like Joe Thomas.

Austin Corbett needs to play center.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

Weird. Kind of an important player to use in a procedural move.  Isn't this what depth is for?

well you have to worry about the dead cap hit as well. Greg carries one of the smallest dead cap hits on the team I believe. Also he has enough time as a vet that he doesnt qualify for waivers. Going with a younger guy, might place him on waivers and the browns lose the player.

They also know Greg would resign, why would he want to sign else where a week before the season start? Especially when the current team isnt trying to move on from you. Since he is operating on only a one year deal, they will prolly kick him some more money for being a good team player. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, buno67 said:

well you have to worry about the dead cap hit as well. Greg carries one of the smallest dead cap hits on the team I believe. Also he has enough time as a vet that he doesnt qualify for waivers. Going with a younger guy, might place him on waivers and the browns lose the player.

They also know Greg would resign, why would he want to sign else where a week before the season start? Especially when the current team isnt trying to move on from you. Since he is operating on only a one year deal, they will prolly kick him some more money for being a good team player. 

If this blows up in the Browns face, I might find myself turning into a

Image result for carlos boozer leaves cleveland

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I still don't get it

So apparently, there was a point where the Browns were at 54 players on the roster and there was a discussion about what to do with Drew Forbes. 

If they were to place him on it before the cut down to the 53, they would lose him for the season. Rather than do that, the Browns instead released Greg Robinson (which meant Drew Forbes was on the 53), placed Drew Forbes on it, and now they can get him back during the season.

The reason why they used Greg Robinson is probably:

1. He's played enough years to not go through the waiver system.

2. He's on a one year deal with a minimum amount of guaranteed money.

3. He would want to come back (considering that he is the starter and was likely offered some incentives). 

Any other player either would have gone through the waiver system, would have cost the organization alot of dead money, or would have been high risk to leave. 

Edited by Here'sJim
  • Like 1