Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I started playing Mass Effect: Andromeda again and I still maintain that if you can get by the funky facial animations it is a good game that got treated too harshly.

I hope there’s another Mass Effect game, and I hope it’s soon.

Will definitely be playing the original trilogy remastered.

I loved Andromeda.  I played it after patching on the PC to 100%, and in the winter before the pandemic I played it on XB1 to completion as well.  I also have the three companion novels which I highly recommend.  At the very least, the story on the Quarian Ark is the one I would recommend if you only want to read one.  I will also play the remaster even though I've had at least four play-throughs by now.  

I think they don't revisit Andromeda in the new game which is unfortunate.  I think Casey Hudson really wants to go back to the franchise, but it's down to whether or not EA will let him.  I thought odds were good that we would have a new one at the start of the year.  Now that we are in the pandemic?  I don't know.  Bringing back Shepard, or at least involving the characters involved in his quest, might be the only way to get them to spark interest, which is sad.  There were talks a few years ago that this IP was going to balloon and we would have a ME movie and an MMO, and now it's hanging by a thread and could be a pandemic casualty.  

Also, I am an avid SWTOR player, and there is an extreme delay in content right now because everyone is still working from home.  We had a big teaser involving two big characters coming back at the end of the 6.0 Onslaught expansion last October.  The 6.2 update, which would have expanded on this, was due out by now, but it could be almost a year or longer before any additional content is ready.  

It is not looking good for a new ME game, and if they are planning a remaster, that might be a long time coming as well.  

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

In my opinion, there are three games I compare all RPGs to:

Mass Effect series.

The Witcher 3.

Knights of the Old Republic.

There are not enough games like those three.  And I’m frankly sick of it.

I wish they would remake KOTOR, well. I played it once, didn't finish because my laptop was so bad 6 years ago it could barely run it

24 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I wish they would remake KOTOR, well. I played it once, didn't finish because my laptop was so bad 6 years ago it could barely run it

I played through it on my phone. Its an in store game now. I'm surprised no one has made a spiritual successor to that or another fan favorite with similar style Dragon Age Origins. 

On 7/16/2020 at 10:02 AM, Spartacus said:

I played through it on my phone. Its an in store game now. I'm surprised no one has made a spiritual successor to that or another fan favorite with similar style Dragon Age Origins. 

I know, but I have no desire to play it on my phone lol

On 7/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, JBURGE said:

I hope they do soon. It'd be a nice way for EA to try and extend their deal a little longer.
I wonder if part of it is they have plans for that era for films and don't want the games to come before.

I hope they recanonize the thing, regardless of medium.

I tried to replay it recently on xbox back compat, kinda forgot just how old it was.

7 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I hope they do soon. It'd be a nice way for EA to try and extend their deal a little longer.
I wonder if part of it is they have plans for that era for films and don't want the games to come before.

I hope they recanonize the thing, regardless of medium.

I tried to replay it recently on xbox back compat, kinda forgot just how old it was.

yeah, I don't think it's canon anymore, so I doubt Disney would allow it >:(

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

yeah, I don't think it's canon anymore, so I doubt Disney would allow it >:(

Yeah currently still in Legends.
They kinda backdoored it in the last film, one of the battalions was named after Revan.
But far from a "ITS BACK" moment.

12 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah currently still in Legends.
They kinda backdoored it in the last film, one of the battalions was named after Revan.
But far from a "ITS BACK" moment.

Don't forget the Darth Nihilus statue in the Exegol temple, and the Jedi Crusader pendant in Luke's abode on Acht-To.  I also like the theory that there could have been a Star Forge in Exegol to build the Final Order fleet.  

Currently The Star Wars: The Old Republic is the only bit of Legends continuity still running.  Everything else- comics, novels, other video games, toys- was a hard stop when Disney acquired the franchise.  I think Bioware has more than enough on their plate to remaster the KOTOR games if you believe that they have a Dragon Age game in production, still slogging through more SWTOR content (delayed with the pandemic), just finished an overhaul of Anthem right before the pandemic and a possible Mass Effect remaster/project as well.  

I imagine that they won't touch era of The Old Republic until the SWTOR game is no more.  Sadly that means we won't see a remaster.  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 11:09 PM, Outpost31 said:

In my opinion, there are three games I compare all RPGs to:

Mass Effect series.

The Witcher 3.

Knights of the Old Republic.

There are not enough games like those three.  And I’m frankly sick of it.

Multiplayer and MTX killed those kind of games.  Plenty of other first-person games went out as well.  Assassin's Creed tried to put multiplayer into the franchise and it bombed, and it also caused them to put out a less than stellar single player portion, so they eventually dropped the attempt.  Mass Effect was heading down the same path with EA's demand for multiplayer in ME3 and Andromeda.  

As I've said a few times here, I would be more than happy to pay a premium for a single-player, story-driven game, and as long as it means I can play less for a multi-player, MTX-modeled game.......which at this point I probably wouldn't play anyway.  Most of my online gaming adventures outside of SWTOR and Battlefront II are finished.  I will definitely play Squadrons though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Multiplayer and MTX killed those kind of games.  Plenty of other first-person games went out as well.  Assassin's Creed tried to put multiplayer into the franchise and it bombed, and it also caused them to put out a less than stellar single player portion, so they eventually dropped the attempt.  Mass Effect was heading down the same path with EA's demand for multiplayer in ME3 and Andromeda.  

As I've said a few times here, I would be more than happy to pay a premium for a single-player, story-driven game, and as long as it means I can play less for a multi-player, MTX-modeled game.......which at this point I probably wouldn't play anyway.  Most of my online gaming adventures outside of SWTOR and Battlefront II are finished.  I will definitely play Squadrons though. 

I know, and I ****ING HATE THAT I ****ING HATE IT I HATE IT I DO I HATE IT!

I have never played a multiplayer game online before in my LIFE!

That’s not true.  I tried it ONCE IN MY LIFE AND I HATED IT!

I would pay 200 dollars for a ****ing game like those three I mentioned, but noooooooo, everyone has to play online multiplayer games, which is killing the quality of video game storytelling I have had too much to drink and I’m too angry to discuss this I hate it!

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The AC multiplayer was awesome. I enjoyed it.

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Don't forget the Darth Nihilus statue in the Exegol temple, and the Jedi Crusader pendant in Luke's abode on Acht-To.  I also like the theory that there could have been a Star Forge in Exegol to build the Final Order fleet.  

Currently The Star Wars: The Old Republic is the only bit of Legends continuity still running.  Everything else- comics, novels, other video games, toys- was a hard stop when Disney acquired the franchise.  I think Bioware has more than enough on their plate to remaster the KOTOR games if you believe that they have a Dragon Age game in production, still slogging through more SWTOR content (delayed with the pandemic), just finished an overhaul of Anthem right before the pandemic and a possible Mass Effect remaster/project as well.  

I imagine that they won't touch era of The Old Republic until the SWTOR game is no more.  Sadly that means we won't see a remaster.  

I didn't catch the statue bit, cool.

At this point I don't even know how many Bioware teams are still up and running. The anthem team apparently went to s skeleton crew, but maybe they've staffed them up a bit more to try and salvage that game. I hope Dragon Age is coming next year, but yeah with the pandemic it's probably getting pushed to 2022. Not sure how Canada is dealing with the pandemic. I guess the one nice thing is there are used to working across studios, so there was already infrastructure when the work from home stuff started.

But yeah a new KOTOR isn't coming anytime soon probably, I didn't know the mmorpg was still going.
What sucks is another studio probably couldn't start on a game until 2023 when the deal with EA runs out, there are other studios who could do a good job.

I almost want to see a studio not particularly well known for RPGs do it. Someone really good with gameplay.
Because you have the story right there, and you can hire RPG writers and devs who make systems for RPGs to expand it more.
When I went back to play it, similar to Mass Effect 1...I really would want an overhaul on the combat gameplay.