Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

46 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:
17 hours ago, JBURGE said:

AC2 and Brotherhood are my two personal favourites. I stopped playing after Black Flag though 

I'm really critical of the AC games, sometimes just to spite @Tyty but I agree with AC2 and Brotherhood being the best but not sure how well they hold up. I couldn't get into Revelations,  and didn't try another until Black Flag. It was okay but I never finished it. I mostly enjoyed Origins and would love to eventually play Odyssey.  

This is very similar to my experience. I couldn't get in to Revelations, barely started it. Didn't touch AC3, played Black Flag, but I haven't played since

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I'm really critical of the AC games, sometimes just to spite @Tyty but I agree with AC2 and Brotherhood being the best but not sure how well they hold up. I couldn't get into Revelations,  and didn't try another until Black Flag. It was okay but I never finished it. I mostly enjoyed Origins and would love to eventually play Odyssey.  

I got the AC2 brotherhood revelations remaster a couple years ago and they’re all incredibly dated and clunky. AC2 and brotherhood are still amazing, revelations is my least favorite AC game of all time probably. Black flag was great but a far cry from feeling like an AC game as if they had the sailing idea and weren’t confident it would do well by itself so they used it for black flag. Unity and syndicate are both decent and much better than the mess they were at launch. Origins and odyssey are really neat and immersive and don’t feel like AC games but Ubisoft had to grow and adapt itself to stop pumping out the same old thing and I respect them for it. Ubisoft in the last 3-4 years in my opinion has been lethal and I’m looking forward to their future IPs and rehashes 

Got Skyrim and started playing it again.  Haven’t played it since the year it was launched and yet it still feels familiar to me.  What I like about the Elder Scrolls games is how you can essentially just pick it up and go.  Doesn’t try to force you into progressing to a certain point before you can do your own thing.  The last time I played it I used that cheat where you could level up completely and that kinda ruined it.  Won’t be doing that this time.

The one thing that always brought Elder Scrolls games down for me was that there doesn’t seem to be any real weight in your decisions, the characters are flat, and it doesn’t really get you invested in the story.  Although the world is massive, it’s a lot more fluff and repetition than a game like Mass Effect or Witcher 3.  

It should hold me over until Cyberpunk gets released at least.

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Got Skyrim and started playing it again.  Haven’t played it since the year it was launched and yet it still feels familiar to me.  What I like about the Elder Scrolls games is how you can essentially just pick it up and go.  Doesn’t try to force you into progressing to a certain point before you can do your own thing.  The last time I played it I used that cheat where you could level up completely and that kinda ruined it.  Won’t be doing that this time.

The one thing that always brought Elder Scrolls games down for me was that there doesn’t seem to be any real weight in your decisions, the characters are flat, and it doesn’t really get you invested in the story.  Although the world is massive, it’s a lot more fluff and repetition than a game like Mass Effect or Witcher 3.  

I feel ya. I spent a bit of time bouncing back and forth from Elder Scrolls and other story driven RPG's. When playing Elder Scrolls (Oblivion / Skyrim) I grow tired of the flat characters, static world, and disconnected story. I would jump to more story driven RPG's (Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc) and ultimately miss the customization, freedom / flexibility and lore of Elder Scrolls. So I would jump back. Rinse and repeat. 

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

I got the AC2 brotherhood revelations remaster a couple years ago and they’re all incredibly dated and clunky. AC2 and brotherhood are still amazing, revelations is my least favorite AC game of all time probably. Black flag was great but a far cry from feeling like an AC game as if they had the sailing idea and weren’t confident it would do well by itself so they used it for black flag. Unity and syndicate are both decent and much better than the mess they were at launch. Origins and odyssey are really neat and immersive and don’t feel like AC games but Ubisoft had to grow and adapt itself to stop pumping out the same old thing and I respect them for it. Ubisoft in the last 3-4 years in my opinion has been lethal and I’m looking forward to their future IPs and rehashes 

Black Flag is my favorite by far then maybe Odyssey. AC2 was good also but tried playing it again last year and agree it feels outdated

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

Rogue is actually one of my favorites from a story perspective.  Really enjoyed it. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Rogue is actually one of my favorites from a story perspective.  Really enjoyed it. 

I never got to play it cause it released for last gen right when I upgraded to next gen. AC3 was pretty cool but I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to it and finish it. I didn’t finish it when it came out (was stuck on a stealth mission where you have to free captives from the British or something (and anytime in video games I fail more than once I never touch it again (I quit RDR when I couldn’t outrace the train or whatever at the end and didn’t touch it again for 7 years)))

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I never got to play it cause it released for last gen right when I upgraded to next gen. AC3 was pretty cool but I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to it and finish it. I didn’t finish it when it came out (was stuck on a stealth mission where you have to free captives from the British or something (and anytime in video games I fail more than once I never touch it again (I quit RDR when I couldn’t outrace the train or whatever at the end and didn’t touch it again for 7 years)))

I saw the game on Amazon one time and remembered it was last-gen, so I hooked everything back up and ended up playing it to completion.  I don't regret that decision.  

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’ve beaten it several times but after my last run through in 2017 I’m never touching it again lol. I sunk probably 300 hours into it, did literally everything (the only thing left was the night mother whatever quest that’s repetitive and can’t be completely beaten like the fallout 4 Preston missions). January til March I put like 14-17 hours per day into it lol. Still pretty burned out from it so I won’t play again til ES6 finally drops. 

On another note, essentially the same story this month with Witcher 3. Put 130 hours into it and kinda hated the game towards the end cause it wouldn’t end 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I saw the game on Amazon one time and remembered it was last-gen, so I hooked everything back up and ended up playing it to completion.  I don't regret that decision.  

I wanna say rogue and ac3 are both available digitally now but they’re both kinda old for me now. If AC doesn’t have a release this year I might have to play one to sate myself

3 hours ago, animaltested said:

I feel ya. I spent a bit of time bouncing back and forth from Elder Scrolls and other story driven RPG's. When playing Elder Scrolls (Oblivion / Skyrim) I grow tired of the flat characters, static world, and disconnected story. I would jump to more story driven RPG's (Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc) and ultimately miss the customization, freedom / flexibility and lore of Elder Scrolls. So I would jump back. Rinse and repeat. 

I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition and tried it for ten minutes and instantly knew I did not know what I was getting into.  The combat system really threw me off.  I had to get back to something more familiar first, but I will probably give it another shot down the road.  

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I’ve beaten it several times but after my last run through in 2017 I’m never touching it again lol. I sunk probably 300 hours into it, did literally everything (the only thing left was the night mother whatever quest that’s repetitive and can’t be completely beaten like the fallout 4 Preston missions). January til March I put like 14-17 hours per day into it lol. Still pretty burned out from it so I won’t play again til ES6 finally drops. 

On another note, essentially the same story this month with Witcher 3. Put 130 hours into it and kinda hated the game towards the end cause it wouldn’t end 

I never once got tired of Witcher 3.  Played it twice and completed everything.  One Triss and one Yennefer play through.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Black Flag is my favorite by far then maybe Odyssey. AC2 was good also but tried playing it again last year and agree it feels outdated

Thats the way I have it so far. Just the story and ending for Black Flag alone is for me the best this entire gen has to offer. And game control was better than Unity that followed.

Odyssey was fantastic. But didnt have the impactful story to back the game. More "run-of-the-mill" story it followed.

Edited by PARROTHEAD