Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Microsoft just updated the Xbox One X/S to include 1440p and FreeSync support. 

Sony better be following suit soon, or that might be enough for me to switch from PS4 to the One X.

Didn’t know that. Very happy to read that though as I just scored a hell of a deal on a 27in Omen 1440p 165hz at the pawn shop. 

On 4/19/2018 at 1:50 PM, HighHopes said:

Ahh that makes sense. Yes, the Nancy Drew games tend to have a lot of logic puzzles.

Beat Shadow at Water's Edge last night. Progress being gated behind completion of a giant sodoku and nonogram puzzle was kind of frustrating but I still really liked it. Did not expect a Nancy Drew game to have so many jump scares. 

Which one should I play next? I bought two more.

Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon

or Curse of Blackmoor Manor 

Edited by skywindO2

On 4/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, Heimdallr said:

Sony better be following suit soon, or that might be enough for me to switch from PS4 to the One X.

Could you play in 1440p on a 4K TV? I'm asking cause I only have an XboneS and will likely buy a 4K TV long before I buy an XboneX (if ever).

Also if graphics are what you care about, why not get yourself a gaming computer? It will only cost a couple hundred more and offer even better graphics than an XboneX and you can play every single Xbox exclusive plus all the computer games and use an Xbox controller still.

There's almost no real reason to buy an XboneX tbh, the strongest by far just being that you already have a bunch of friends you carried over to the xbone from the 360.

@skywindO2

The only ones I've seen are the ones played on Mostly Walking and the only other one they played was "Sea of Darkness" so I can't give an informed opinion. But I will say Curse of Blackmoor Manor interested me more personally from those two. The train mystery aspect doesn't feel as flexible or the Manor seems more mysterious.

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Could you play in 1440p on a 4K TV? I'm asking cause I only have an XboneS and will likely buy a 4K TV long before I buy an XboneX (if ever).

Also if graphics are what you care about, why not get yourself a gaming computer? It will only cost a couple hundred more and offer even better graphics than an XboneX and you can play every single Xbox exclusive plus all the computer games and use an Xbox controller still.

There's almost no real reason to buy an XboneX tbh, the strongest by far just being that you already have a bunch of friends you carried over to the xbone from the 360.

A decent gaming computer costs $1500. A PS4/Xbox costs $300-$500. 

A console OS is also FAR easier to just plug and play. 

26 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

A decent gaming computer costs $1500. A PS4/Xbox costs $300-$500. 

A console OS is also FAR easier to just plug and play. 

"Decent"? You can get a gaming computer with a 1060 on sale for $700. That can play 4k at 30 fps just as well if not better than a $500 Xbox one X.

I'll give you the plug and play though.

35 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

"Decent"? You can get a gaming computer with a 1060 on sale for $700. That can play 4k at 30 fps just as well if not better than a $500 Xbox one X.

I'll give you the plug and play though.

Yeah, but if I'm going to invest that sort of money and time to get a full computer, I want it to last at least 5+ years (same as a console), so I wouldn't get less than a 1070 Ti and 8th gen i5/i7. Also if I'm spending the extra money for a computer, I would expect no less than 120 fps. 

48 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Yeah, but if I'm going to invest that sort of money and time to get a full computer, I want it to last at least 5+ years (same as a console), so I wouldn't get less than a 1070 Ti and 8th gen i5/i7. Also if I'm spending the extra money for a computer, I would expect no less than 120 fps. 

That first part makes no sense. A computer that is more powerful than an Xbox will last longer than that xbox.

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

That first part makes no sense. A computer that is more powerful than an Xbox will last longer than that xbox.

No, PC gaming requirements progress much faster than console. Console developers know they need to stick to specific specs for 5-10 years and plan accordingly. 

On 4/24/2018 at 4:41 PM, Heimdallr said:

If you want to play games in 4K, you might as well go ahead and get a Xbox One X.  The PS4 will never be able to run games as well as the Xbox One X.

13 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

No, PC gaming requirements progress much faster than console. Console developers know they need to stick to specific specs for 5-10 years and plan accordingly. 

But on PC you can just play on low and medium setting which stay the same as what's available on Xbox.

4 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

But on PC you can just play on low and medium setting which stay the same as what's available on Xbox.

Yea, I don't understand that argument. Something that is X mount more powerful today will still be X amount more powerful tomorrow, regardless of any other factors. You'll still be playing superior versions of games at all times regardless of how outdated the technology is, and regardless of how much that outdated hardware can no longer push new software to the max.