Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

Just now, showtime said:

Fortnite made $126 million in February alone, according to some report I read and that number is obviously increasing every month.  I don't understand why more companies don't go the free-to-play route for certain games.  It doesn't work for some games, but just imagine a game like Black Ops 4 doing that. 

For example

* . They announce that the new CoD game is free to play and will be supported for at least 5 years minimum with constantly updates, new guns, new maps, etc.  All of these new maps and guns will be free.

* . The game has a non-stop ish ton of new character skins, gun skins, C4 skins, etc anything you can put a skin on.  

People would play the F out of CoD and they would also buy skins and stuff as well.

What's the downside to doing this?  Why wouldn't Activision do it?  I know the game is extremely successful, but over the past 4-5 years it has taken a hit and probably isn't as popular as it used to be.  

Just a different discussion than micro-transactions lol.

I suppose we'd need to know how much Activision makes on COD. Obviously given their budget and yearly releases, they established a brand that guarantees an amount that would make them not consider changing. I highly doubt they don't have business people who didn't map all of this out. My guess is they achieved a critical mass of yearly repeat customers to pay $60 and then some that it doesn't make any sense to give the game away for free even if it meant more players and more cosmetic purchases.

To add to the above, Fortnite couldn't achieve this success by charging $60, or maybe even $30. COD already has a bunch of people who are basically subscribers. New games looking to make a big splash need F2P for everyone to try them in a super crowded marketplace. Plenty of F2P games don't even gain traction.

48 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I suppose we'd need to know how much Activision makes on COD. Obviously given their budget and yearly releases, they established a brand that guarantees an amount that would make them not consider changing. I highly doubt they don't have business people who didn't map all of this out. My guess is they achieved a critical mass of yearly repeat customers to pay $60 and then some that it doesn't make any sense to give the game away for free even if it meant more players and more cosmetic purchases.

You're right, but I think all of this is about to change.  Within two years, most games will become free-to-play, I predict.  There isn't going to be anymore triple A releases that cost $60 in the near future.  I know games like Dota and League have done this model in the past, but Fortnite is going to be the game that breaks the mold because it's accessible to absolutely everyone and is in a genre that everyone can freely play.

2 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

There was just a little tournament put into the game over the past five days where everyone can compete.  The top points finishers got some insanely huge prizes and it was open to everyone on any platform.  So you have regular joe's like us competing and playing with pro players.

Just now, showtime said:

You're right, but I think all of this is about to change.  Within two years, most games will become free-to-play, I predict.  There isn't going to be anymore triple A releases that cost $60 in the near future.  I know games like Dota and League have done this model in the past, but Fortnite is going to be the game that breaks the mode because it's accessible to absolutely everyone and is in a genre that everyone can freely play.

We're definitely heading into a fascinating time for the gaming business model. I wonder at what point will there no longer be any single player games. We might actually see it be like the movie industry, either well branded blockbusters with high budgets, or indie games. Everything else will attempt to be the next F2P viral sensation.

1 minute ago, Mossburg said:

We're definitely heading into a fascinating time for the gaming business model. I wonder at what point will there no longer be any single player games. We might actually see it be like the movie industry, either well branded blockbusters with high budgets, or indie games. Everything else will attempt to be the next F2P viral sensation.

I mean, Activision is actually giving out free DLC for this upcoming Call of Duty game.  If that's not a sign we're heading into a major change in the industry then I don't know what is haha.

Man, Fortnite is going to go down as the most influential game ever made.  This game quite literally came out of nowhere and it has delivered the knock out punch to the industry.

I think it's the most 0 to unprecedented hype game ever. I wonder though if it has the core fundamentals to have staying power when the next ultra hype game comes out. Will it completely die out, or will it have enough hardcores remaining to keep it a relevant community for years to come.

I don't think it matters how much money is pumped in when someone else makes something else people would rather play.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

What's the downside to doing this?

Market is slow to react.

Entrenched players in said market have little incentive to change the way they make money until it's obvious to everyone^^^ there's another way to do it.

Larger companies (e.g. Activision) probably have larger teams /support staff and longer development cycles, so it's probably hard to shift vision on a dime.

19 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I think it's the most 0 to unprecedented hype game ever. I wonder though if it has the core fundamentals to have staying power when the next ultra hype game comes out. Will it completely die out, or will it have enough hardcores remaining to keep it a relevant community for years to come.

I don't think it matters how much money is pumped in when someone else makes something else people would rather play.

That's a good question.  This game just has extreme staying power because of the replay-ability.  The one thing I'm concerned about is, how will Epic continue to handle this game.  So far they've handled the game very well and they seem to be doing all the right things (constant updates, very active in the community, addressing issues in the game, etc), but there needs to be a longer track record of them doing that with this game.  If they go through a stretch with really bad updates they could manage to damage the game.

The really cool thing about this game, though, is the building mechanics.  It's such a very unique aspect that isn't present in any other triple A games.  It's funny because there's absolutely no way that Epic devs could have seen the building mechanics being used as they are right now.  

4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Market is slow to react.

Entrenched players in said market have little incentive to change the way they make money until it's obvious to everyone^^^ there's another way to do it.

Larger companies (e.g. Activision) probably have larger teams /support staff and longer development cycles, so it's probably hard to shift vision on a dime.

True.  That's part of the reason I was saying within two years the game will change completely.

7 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

On a side note, anyone read the E3 presentation leaks?

No. Anything on RDR 2 or the new Bethesda IP?

edit: I should have read your second sentence before responding :)

Edited by cddolphin

As far as E3 goes, I'm pretty excited to see the next Battlefield game.  Battlefield 1 took some time to grow on me, but that game is really good.  I'm hoping the next Battlefield follows in BF1's footsteps.  Speaking of Battlefield, hopefully EA shows some other good games that seem interesting.  I'm sick and tired of them showing Madden an other sports games.

As far as Microsoft goes, we might see something regarding the next Halo or maybe the next Gears of War.  Honestly, those games are stale as hell and it's time to move on.  I'm sure they still sell well, but it's super old and boring.  At least drastically change the game to make it somewhat fresh.  MS really needs to hit some exclusive titles, though... new ones.  Crackdown 3 should be on full display, so hopefully that's good.  But not really excited for anything.  Oh yea, and we probably get to see boring stuff like Forza.... yay

As far as Sony goes I really would love to see a Bloodborne 2.  The Spider-Man game also looks really cool.  Bethesda and Ubisoft are crap, imo, so I don't really care about anything they have to show.

EDIT:  Hoping Kingdom Hearts actually releases this year and it gets an actual release date.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

As far as E3 goes, I'm pretty excited to see the next Battlefield game.  Battlefield 1 took some time to grow on me, but that game is really good.  I'm hoping the next Battlefield follows in BF1's footsteps.  Speaking of Battlefield, hopefully EA shows some other good games that seem interesting.  I'm sick and tired of them showing Madden an other sports games.

As far as Microsoft goes, we might see something regarding the next Halo or maybe the next Gears of War.  Honestly, those games are stale as hell and it's time to move on.  I'm sure they still sell well, but it's super old and boring.  At least drastically change the game to make it somewhat fresh.  MS really needs to hit some exclusive titles, though... new ones.  Crackdown 3 should be on full display, so hopefully that's good.  But not really excited for anything.  Oh yea, and we probably get to see boring stuff like Forza.... yay

As far as Sony goes I really would love to see a Bloodborne 2.  The Spider-Man game also looks really cool.  Bethesda and Ubisoft are crap, imo, so I don't really care about anything they have to show.

EDIT:  Hoping Kingdom Hearts actually releases this year and it gets an actual release date.

SE has a panel, too. I'm hoping we get a FFVIIR E1 and KH3 trailer and release (very likely for both), the first gameplay footage from the Avengers game CD is working on would be great as well since we don't even know what the plot is yet. There's also a chance we get the first footage for Left Alive, though as always, I'd like to see a few curveballs thrown for good measure.