Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

Just now, RJ_11 said:

First game as in the 2013 one yeah? If you liked that one I would definitely recommend Rise of the Tomb Raider. Improved on it in every way I think, Lara's character is much much better, storyline and environment especially was a big improvement I thought too.

Shadow I'm still very early on and not enjoying it as much as Rise I have to admit. Long way to go yet though, I'm an absolute TR fanboy so I'll play it to death anyway and see how I feel at the end.

Yea I might play it eventually but I don't really feel like it and have other stuff I rather play. TR to me felt like a better version of Uncharted, which I played not long before. So it's basically more of the same, even if improved.

4 hours ago, Mossburg said:

It's like Arkham Asylum for me. I played the first game, really enjoyed it, but feel like I'm done with that and had no desire to play the sequels.

They do offer native Linux support though, so I'll buy it just to support it and maybe eventually play it.

I  was actually pretty excited to play it, but this game was made by a different group so the polish just isn't there. It doesn't feel cohesive. Like they wrote down a list of "what is Tomb Raider", then tried to stitch together a game. It's not bad all things considered, but it feels like what it is, another group trying to make a Tomb Raider game. It might not even bother other people, I just look at games a bit different from most. 

For example, like one of the things the new Tomb Raider got known for are the brutal death scenes where Lara just gets stabbed through the head (or whatever). Well in this game, when you miss a platformer section, it always happens, but it's obviously just a cutscene. Like you can literally look where you are falling and there would be nothing there lol.

4 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

First game as in the 2013 one yeah? If you liked that one I would definitely recommend Rise of the Tomb Raider. Improved on it in every way I think, Lara's character is much much better, storyline and environment especially was a big improvement I thought too.

Shadow I'm still very early on and not enjoying it as much as Rise I have to admit. Long way to go yet though, I'm an absolute TR fanboy so I'll play it to death anyway and see how I feel at the end.

I 100% agree, it's why I was excited for Shadow. Tomb Raider doesn't quite reach "favorite franchise" series, but it's just way too solid of a game for me to ignore. I'm a little disappointed with the third, but I'm pretty sure the main team is working on the next trilogy and I'm still excited.

1 hour ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I don't, but why do you hate the franchise?

Hate is a stronger word than I used imo, and I think despise is stronger than my actual feelings too. The whole series got super stale to me and I've always disliked the animus concept as a story device. Open world games have become incredibly generic to me and generally do a bad job holding my interest. 

Origins interests me because of it's setting. I just returned from a trip to Egypt a couple weeks ago and having seen all these incredible monuments, tombs and temples, the idea of playing a game in that ancient setting sounds incredibly fun. I really liked AC2 and Brotherhood and a big reason for that was having been to Italy. Exploring Florence, Rome, and other cities that I've seen was an fun game play experience. If Origins can have that same sense of exploration while delivering even half decent gameplay, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it. 

Edited by skywindO2

22 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Hate is a stronger word than I used imo, and I think despise is stronger than my actual feelings too. The whole series got super stale to me and I've always disliked the animus concept as a story device. Open world games have become incredibly generic to me and generally do a bad job holding my interest. 

Origins interests me because of it's setting. I just returned from a trip to Egypt a couple weeks ago and having seen all these incredible monuments, tombs and temples, the idea of playing a game in that ancient setting sounds incredibly fun. I really liked AC2 and Brotherhood and a big reason for that was having been to Italy. Exploring Florence, Rome, and other cities that I've seen was an fun game play experience. If Origins can have that same sense of exploration while delivering even half decent gameplay, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it. 

Ahh okay, I'm in a similar boat. I played up to Brotherhood the days they came out, but then completely fell off because of it being stale. I can't really tell you from first hand experience, but the from what I've seen the gameplay looks pretty different and if the setting is what interest you, maybe? But hopefully someone will be able to tell you for real.

21 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Anyone have any opinions on Assassin's Creed Origins? Recent events make me want to play it although I generally despise the Assassin's Creed franchise. 

It's pretty good. They switched combat up and added some rpg type elements to it. The setting is pretty cool and the time period it is set in was pretty interesting and deals with the Greek, Romans and Egyptians and how they get along. 

I'd give it a whirl if its cheap. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2018 at 1:58 PM, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I don't, but why do you hate the franchise?

does anyone really like it tho 

before it turned into madden, i was very intrigued. it was probably one of the first games of it's ilk that i actually finished and enjoyed. now it all seems so convoluted that i don't even know anymore 

On 9/26/2018 at 5:51 PM, Troy Brown said:

does anyone really like it tho 

before it turned into madden, i was very intrigued. it was probably one of the first games of it's ilk that i actually finished and enjoyed. now it all seems so convoluted that i don't even know anymore 

Yes, me. I love the whole series and always have. @skywindO2 if you have $4k to spend to go to Egypt then spending $40 to go back should be worth it. 

• Like 2