Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

On 2/5/2021 at 5:06 PM, OkeyDoke21 said:

I didn't know there were XBox fanboys that didn't use American English.  I didn't think they sold very well outside of the states.

Ohhh yeah still mainly PlayStation over here, I just bought a 360 when they were £100 cheaper at launch so just stayed with it for Xbox One. 

After playing through Astro's Playroom though, I wish I'd never jumped ship and only ever wanna buy PlayStation again. That game is a joy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

I've never played Horizon Zero Dawn until last night. It's such an interesting storyline and I'm still just in the beginning. I would have thought these machines would have been tougher to kill though.

It'll get a bit harder but the game itself is pretty easy. It's an amazing game, though. It's probably My top game this generation. 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:50 PM, scar988 said:

I've never played Horizon Zero Dawn until last night. It's such an interesting storyline and I'm still just in the beginning. I would have thought these machines would have been tougher to kill though.

They get tougher then you play the DLC and they're even more difficult. It's such a fantastic game. Have fun

The Story is the best part of the game. The Machine's do get tougher though.

It's about a 40 hour playthrough with the DLC. 50 if you do every quest. 

On 2/12/2021 at 6:50 PM, scar988 said:

Oh man join the club. Bought it a week ago as my first PS5 purchase as I'd always wanted to play it. I've absolutely hammered it in the nine days since I've had it, about 32(ish) hours in I think and pretty sure I'm gonna do every quest  and everything on the map because I'm hooked. The story has only gotten better as I've gone on too, and I've only done 13 main quests.

So glad I didn't just watch a playthrough of this on YouTube or something, and get to experience the story first hand. And we get the sequel at the end of this year!

It’s a pretty sweet game. It’s kinda difficult that you can’t inflict pain on the machines, but the machines can leave you scarred

Mods make Fallout 4 a lot better as far as the settlements.  It always irritated the hell out of me that I couldn't scrap whatever I wanted to in the settlements.  And it would be random crap, too.  Like why couldn't I scrap this set of trees?  What's so special about these trees, these dead trees, that I can't scrap them? 

I had to take a step back from the mods once I downloaded a couple that made me overpowered.  That would suck the fun out of the game right away.  But as far as the settlement mods?  I really like them.  One of them adds a whole bunch of **** that should have been added from the beginning as far as settlement items.  A couple others try to add some variety and personality to the settlers by giving them names. 

I really wish there were more games that blended RPG elements with other gameplay mechanics.  A lot of times it's the extra **** that I get obsessed with as much as or more than the story.

A good example is Witcher 3.  I got obsessed with that one card game.  Gwent.  I was obsessed with getting the highest possible score by acquiring every single spy card and finding retailers who also used a lot of spy cards. 

I really can't believe I'm here playing Fallout 4 again, but I've played Witcher 3 all the way through and got every single thing (even the water caches) complete three times now.  I don't have it in me to do that again.  Cyberpunk 2077 I was not feeling AT ALL.  I don't think Horizon Zero Dawn will be as big as I want it with enough side stuff to keep me occupied.  Mass Effect: Andromeda I just did (and that one fell HARD from my original opinion of it). 

And there's almost literally nothing on the horizon. 

I hate everybody who turned gaming into an online multiplayer industry.  I hate everyone even more who brought about micro transactions.  I also hate everyone who buys the game in the first week instead of holding off long enough to make all DLC a part of the actual game because DLC is absolute horse****. 

Most of all, I hate how there are so few great RPGs available. 

I guess I'll just have to start looking at open world/sandbox options for my next game. 

• Like 1

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday, I won't post any spoilers as I know others are playing it at the minute too, but absolutely loved it - probably the best story in a game I've personally played (disclaimer: haven't actually played TLOU but I watched it all on YouTube so not counting it).

Started the Frozen Wilds DLC too but not too far in to it. Just done the Tallneck and one side quest in an old dam, but the side quest was a lot different to the main game - some puzzle elements in there and a completely different environment to anywhere else. More of that please for the rest of the DLC.

Soon as the DLC is finished I'm on to TLOU Part II. I am ready for some serious emotion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Mods make Fallout 4 a lot better as far as the settlements.  It always irritated the hell out of me that I couldn't scrap whatever I wanted to in the settlements.  And it would be random crap, too.  Like why couldn't I scrap this set of trees?  What's so special about these trees, these dead trees, that I can't scrap them? 

I had to take a step back from the mods once I downloaded a couple that made me overpowered.  That would suck the fun out of the game right away.  But as far as the settlement mods?  I really like them.  One of them adds a whole bunch of **** that should have been added from the beginning as far as settlement items.  A couple others try to add some variety and personality to the settlers by giving them names. 

I really wish there were more games that blended RPG elements with other gameplay mechanics.  A lot of times it's the extra **** that I get obsessed with as much as or more than the story.

A good example is Witcher 3.  I got obsessed with that one card game.  Gwent.  I was obsessed with getting the highest possible score by acquiring every single spy card and finding retailers who also used a lot of spy cards. 

I really can't believe I'm here playing Fallout 4 again, but I've played Witcher 3 all the way through and got every single thing (even the water caches) complete three times now.  I don't have it in me to do that again.  Cyberpunk 2077 I was not feeling AT ALL.  I don't think Horizon Zero Dawn will be as big as I want it with enough side stuff to keep me occupied.  Mass Effect: Andromeda I just did (and that one fell HARD from my original opinion of it). 

And there's almost literally nothing on the horizon. 

I hate everybody who turned gaming into an online multiplayer industry.  I hate everyone even more who brought about micro transactions.  I also hate everyone who buys the game in the first week instead of holding off long enough to make all DLC a part of the actual game because DLC is absolute horse****. 

Most of all, I hate how there are so few great RPGs available. 

I guess I'll just have to start looking at open world/sandbox options for my next game. 

The newer Assassin's Creed games are well worth a go if you go for a big open world game. I put 146 hours in to Odyssey last year (including the two DLCs) so you get your money's worth. And it has many RPG elements to it, though not necessarily an RPG. Valhalla might be even bigger than Odyssey but not too sure, it's on my list but not played it yet.

Can't comment on other games you mentioned but sounds like you're right with Horizon Zero Dawn, definitely not big enough for what you're after. I did everything on the map (only thing I didn't bother with was all the non-quest collectibles) and it took me 52 hours to finish the main game.