Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Is there a considerably larger number of RPG games on PC?

Like am I missing out on any games because I went with consoles over PC gaming?

I think so, but PC just has way more games than console in general so I guess it depends on if we're looking at all RPGs or just higher-quality RPGs.  

You are definitely missing out on a ton of games.

The real question is if you are missing out on a lot of games that would interest you.  

Me personally, I haven't come across too many PC-exclusive titles that interest me outside of Disco Elysium, which I love (even that will be on consoles this year though).  However even with that being true, it is still great to have the choice to pick from just about anything other than some PS4 exclusives.  

I'd say if you mainly just like AAA titles then nah you probably aren't missing out on a lot of things that would interest you. 

Edited by iknowcool

Elder Scrolls 6 is going to be a very interesting release, whenever it actually it happens. I though Skyrim got away with being a pretty average game masked by it's flashier elements. So so many superior RPGs have been released since, and EDS6 has to not only surpass them but also re-establish the franchise as a defining option in gaming. 

I have real doubts about them being able to meet those expectations. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Elder Scrolls 6 is going to be a very interesting release, whenever it actually it happens. I though Skyrim got away with being a pretty average game masked by it's flashier elements. So so many superior RPGs have been released since, and EDS6 has to not only surpass them but also re-establish the franchise as a defining option in gaming. 

I have real doubts about them being able to meet those expectations. 

It’s a tall order. I think the best thing they’ll have on their side is distance from all the RPGs last gen and being a fully realized next gen game, hitting in the heart of the generation.

They need to kill it with immersion tools built into the game. Like if the quests can feel natural, the cities feel alive it’ll go a long way. And that should be the expectation this gen. Want to feel like we are impacting the world and it’s impacting back in a smart way.

What sorta stuff is on your must haves for it to achieve that?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

What sorta stuff is on your must haves for it to achieve that?

First off and near the top of the list, there has to be a massive multifaceted combat overhaul. In Skyrim the wonder of fighting a giant or dragon quickly wore off when you come to the realization that you're just standing there spamming the same one note slash animation at a tail or foot over and over and over. 

I'm not expecting for you to be able to hack a limb off then kick it back in their face with the blood from it blocking their vision as you stab through their foot pinning them to the ground...- but I'd like to see some considerable changes that at least challenge or surpass your more modern RPG entries. 

I really appreciated how in 'Kingdom Come' a whole new fighting system was given to you. It had it's own flaws and such, but so many kills felt more 'earned' and immersive then the simple hack/slash system we've grown accustomed to from the EDS series. 

Then layer that evolution through all other forms of combat. The magic system and available arsenal has been getting dumbed down each successive game after Morrowind with expectedly poor results for the player. 'Naruto' mods are super popular within the EDS mod community and I'd like to see aspects of that carried over into the actual game. The ability to create lasting earth(Rock/Mud/Sand,etc) structures within the world that can then be interacted with through other attacks capable of affecting them like water, fire, etc- would be amazing to see show up. 'Field Advantages' would also be cool in that regard. Like if you're near water, your water magic is stronger and options more varied. 

There just has to be layers beyond "Well here's my 'Steel Axe', one of 5 possible axes" and "I'm casting my Novice Fireball Spell". I feel like the gaming world has moved past that and certainly EDS6 can't hit the market with that level of simplicity. 

Another must have is a major upgrade to their class and race system. Gaining a 30 second STR boost isn't enough to make you feel like choosing to navigate the world as an Orc is any different than choosing an Imperial. And simply getting weapons with sinister names like "BloodLetter" from the Dark Brotherhood isn't enough to make you feel like you're truly an assassin belonging to a fabled and infamous guild.  Some class and build specific abilities, powers, skills, and mechanics would go a long way for that immersion. Just as a strong amount of Race/Species specific ones would. I mean, what if Wood Elves could Warg into animals ala GoT/ASOIF. Controlling them manually for a bit or sending them hot keyed orders while you fight in real time. Maybe they can also climb trees and other in game structures? Allowing you to get awesome vantage points for Archer kills. Maybe they're adept at building traps into the terrain, with some sort of starting boost to a potential Trap Crafting sub skill or something? All of a sudden choosing to play as a Wood Elf seems to be much more distinct from other options.

IDK, maybe I'm asking for the impossible. If you're the Top Dog/Defining RPG for decades though and, during your what will probably end up as a 14 or something year hiatus, countless Game of The Year type RPG franchises have emerged and set new standards of expectations...- It'd probably be in your best interest to make sure you re-enter the field in a way that blows everyone's mind. 

I don't think there's any stone they can afford to leave unturned.

46 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

They need to kill it with immersion tools built into the game. Like if the quests can feel natural, the cities feel alive it’ll go a long way. And that should be the expectation this gen. Want to feel like we are impacting the world and it’s impacting back in a smart way.

This is what will be really interesting. Because it's just not how Elder Scroll games have been in the past. That's not how they left their mark in the realm of RPGs. Now that other franchises have caught up or eclipsed them in areas they previously had a stranglehold on though, I don't see how they could neglect it this time around. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

First off and near the top of the list, there has to be a massive multifaceted combat overhaul. In Skyrim the wonder of fighting a giant or dragon quickly wore off when you come to the realization that you're just standing there spamming the same one note slash animation at a tail or foot over and over and over. 

I'm not expecting for you to be able to hack a limb off then kick it back in their face with the blood from it blocking their vision as you stab through their foot pinning them to the ground...- but I'd like to see some considerable changes that at least challenge or surpass your more modern RPG entries. 

I really appreciated how in 'Kingdom Come' a whole new fighting system was given to you. It had it's own flaws and such, but so many kills felt more 'earned' and immersive then the simple hack/slash system we've grown accustomed to from the EDS series. 

Then layer that evolution through all other forms of combat. The magic system and available arsenal has been getting dumbed down each successive game after Morrowind with expectedly poor results for the player. 'Naruto' mods are super popular within the EDS mod community and I'd like to see aspects of that carried over into the actual game. The ability to create lasting earth(Rock/Mud/Sand,etc) structures within the world that can then be interacted with through other attacks capable of affecting them like water, fire, etc- would be amazing to see show up. 'Field Advantages' would also be cool in that regard. Like if you're near water, your water magic is stronger and options more varied. 

I agree that’s one place they can get way better. I’ve loved the weight and reward games like God of War, Jedi Fallen order and other Soulslike games have had with combat. Would love to see some well thought out combo mechanics to be visually rewarding. Like if I could use a spell to freeze an enemy and then shatter them with a hammer/mace it’d feel so good.

43 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Another must have is a major upgrade to their class and race system. Gaining a 30 second STR boost isn't enough to make you feel like choosing to navigate the world as an Orc is any different than choosing an Imperial. And simply getting weapons with sinister names like "BloodLetter" from the Dark Brotherhood isn't enough to make you feel like you're truly an assassin belonging to a fabled and infamous guild.  Some class and build specific abilities, powers, skills, and mechanics would go a long way for that immersion. Just as a strong amount of Race/Species specific ones would. I mean, what if Wood Elves could Warg into animals ala GoT/ASOIF. Controlling them manually for a bit or sending them hot keyed orders while you fight in real time. Maybe they can also climb trees and other in game structures? Allowing you to get awesome vantage points for Archer kills. Maybe they're adept at building traps into the terrain, with some sort of starting boost to a potential Trap Crafting sub skill or something? All of a sudden choosing to play as a Wood Elf seems to be much more distinct from other options.

Definitely would love for more choices to matter. It was so barebones and cosmetic in Skyrim. One of my favorite things about D&D is really creating a character and making those strong choice and reaping the benefits and also changing up the gameplay. They don’t even have to be big things to feel acknowledged. Powerful Race and Class abilities would be cool to see again.

47 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

This is what will be really interesting. Because it's just not how Elder Scroll games have been in the past. That's not how they left their mark in the realm of RPGs. Now that other franchises have caught up or eclipsed them in areas they previously had a stranglehold on though, I don't see how they could neglect it this time around. 

Hopefully they’ve been jotting down notes. And they will have Starfield to learn from too potentially later this year. Hopefully being Microsoft owned now helps them loosen up a little bit. They don’t need to dumb it down for the lowest common denominators quite so much because the whole company needs that big influx of cash.

• Like 1

You know, one of these games like Fallout or Skyrim should randomly put in a sea monster like ten years after the game’s original release.

I was swimming around in Fallout and some seaweed looked like a monster for a second.  If they did this, it would be an epic troll job because the first few dozen of people to get scared by it would really get scared.

Or like some random jump scare thing like that one thing from 12 years ago where you had to complete a maze and then in the middle of the last maze the Exorcist face jumped on screen and it screamed.  

Like in Skyrim, one of the quests that everybody hates completing for the second or third time, just throw in some random monster that was never there before and have it scream at you.

40 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Looks interesting. how would you describe it? And does it make more sense to play with friends?

It's kinda like... it's a stick and rock game that plays like a simplified Dark Souls. Everything is very low key and methodical and meant to be at a relaxed pace. It's easily the most fun with friends because it's an inherently emergent game but I had a good amount of fun just screwing around on my own. 

Also it has a very distinct low poly aesthetic that it is deliberately going for. Some people say it's "Ugly" but it's just an artistic choice, I personally think it looks rad as hell.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Looks interesting. how would you describe it? And does it make more sense to play with friends?

I'd say it's like a solo/co-op Rust.

Survival building resource. Servers are solo unless you're with friends. They have the pacing down well. You're never stuck doing menial labor etc.

The change of tone in the game when I summoned the first boss was pretty spectacular.

One of the reviews has it pretty good;

It got a crafting/boss progression similar to Terraria.
It has Dark Souls-like combat and punishment for death.
It got world/biome generation similar to Minecraft.
It got textures like a PS1 game.
It got lighting like a 2020 AAA game.

It sounds weird, but it's absolutely fantastic!

Edited by nagahide13

15 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'd say it's like a solo/co-op Rust.

Survival building resource. Servers are solo unless you're with friends. They have the pacing down well. You're never stuck doing menial labor etc.

The change of tone in the game when I summoned the first boss was pretty spectacular.

One of the reviews has it pretty good;

Haha the last two made me lol