Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

Started AC: Valhalla recently. Didn't want to post this on the Valhalla thread as I know there's spoilers in there. So I'm pretty early in, only done the first Norway area and Grantebridgeshire in England. But so far... I preferred Odyssey in pretty much every way.

I'll be giving it time, and I will definitely finish it at least, as I still think it's good, it's just not great like Odyssey was.

I miss side quests (I know, but the mysteries/artifacts don't do much for me). I miss having a level instead of 'power'. I miss finding loads of armour/weapons and picking the best for your build (I've only found one other type of armour in 20 hours of gameplay, and it's not as good as the Raven clan stuff I started with). I miss recruiting captains to gain benefits to my ship (the Jomsviking stuff seems pointless). I miss tagging enemies. I miss Kassandra, preferred her to Eivor a lot more.

I'm from England so it's so awesome seeing counties and towns I know. I was so excited for this, but I'm a bit meh on it so far.

4 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Started AC: Valhalla recently. Didn't want to post this on the Valhalla thread as I know there's spoilers in there. So I'm pretty early in, only done the first Norway area and Grantebridgeshire in England. But so far... I preferred Odyssey in pretty much every way.

I'll be giving it time, and I will definitely finish it at least, as I still think it's good, it's just not great like Odyssey was.

I miss side quests (I know, but the mysteries/artifacts don't do much for me). I miss having a level instead of 'power'. I miss finding loads of armour/weapons and picking the best for your build (I've only found one other type of armour in 20 hours of gameplay, and it's not as good as the Raven clan stuff I started with). I miss recruiting captains to gain benefits to my ship (the Jomsviking stuff seems pointless). I miss tagging enemies. I miss Kassandra, preferred her to Eivor a lot more.

I'm from England so it's so awesome seeing counties and towns I know. I was so excited for this, but I'm a bit meh on it so far.

It's definitely a more chill game in terms of how much there is to do. That said I still clocked like 175+ hours.
Having finally played Odyssey at the start of stay at home, I kind of appreciated the toned down side stuff.
But I do hope in the future they hit a happy medium between the two.  Like not every side mission needs to have 7 steps all over the map like Odyssey, but would love a chunk of them to be more than "stumble upon and finish in one spot in 2 minutes" Valhalla had. 

The regions all have their own branching stories, so that might be more what you are looking for.

I think your build issue might be alleviated once you unlock certains perks. There is a lot of different styles you can mix and play with once you can dual wield fully.

It takes a bit to get armor, but right now there is a free pack that gives you some armor.
But most of it is at your disposal out in the world along with weapons. Plus some of the legendary gear quests are pretty good I thought.

You picked a good time to start with the river raids to help with gear, transmog just came out yesterday and the druid expansion should be in the not too distant future.

Kassandra was awesome, with you there. One of my favs.

• Like 1

I dunno where to put this. Was just wondering if you all thought Mortal Kombat would work as an MMO or action roleplaying game. I feel like the world is large enough and the lore is big enough it could be an interesting spin to try. You can be Liu Kang or Cage and lead heroes against Tsung etc. 

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I dunno where to put this. Was just wondering if you all thought Mortal Kombat would work as an MMO or action roleplaying game. I feel like the world is large enough and the lore is big enough it could be an interesting spin to try. You can be Liu Kang or Cage and lead heroes against Tsung etc. 

Prepubescent me thought Sub-Zero on the N64 was great. Would probably be like a DBZ: Kakarot.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I have always wanted this.  That world looks so like something I would like, but I can't get over the fact that it's just a fighting game. 

I've never bought a fighting game in my life, but if Mortal Kombat ever did that I'd preorder it at announcement. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this thought. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It's definitely a more chill game in terms of how much there is to do. That said I still clocked like 175+ hours.
Having finally played Odyssey at the start of stay at home, I kind of appreciated the toned down side stuff.
But I do hope in the future they hit a happy medium between the two.  Like not every side mission needs to have 7 steps all over the map like Odyssey, but would love a chunk of them to be more than "stumble upon and finish in one spot in 2 minutes" Valhalla had. 

The regions all have their own branching stories, so that might be more what you are looking for.

I think your build issue might be alleviated once you unlock certains perks. There is a lot of different styles you can mix and play with once you can dual wield fully.

It takes a bit to get armor, but right now there is a free pack that gives you some armor.
But most of it is at your disposal out in the world along with weapons. Plus some of the legendary gear quests are pretty good I thought.

You picked a good time to start with the river raids to help with gear, transmog just came out yesterday and the druid expansion should be in the not too distant future.

Kassandra was awesome, with you there. One of my favs.

Yeah to be fair turned it on last night and saw the free armour, already using the new shield and may move to the new armour set entirely as the extra stun chance on it is insane.

I did enjoy a session on it last night a lot more. Tuesday night I just went around Grantebridgeshire trying to do all the wealth/mysteries/artifacts for two hours and I was so bored by the end. Changed it up last night - one river raid, one normal raid, travelled to Ledecestershire and started that story arc.

I haven't even seen a nickel ingot yet so can't updrade armour any further but hope that comes soon. And I've not seen a legendary gear quest yet, but with my lust for new gear I'll be all over them.

One thing I am addicted to is building my settlement. As soon as I see a new raid avilable I'm on it straight away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I had no idea that game existed. I watched like 5 minutes. Looked hard as hell

Controls were garbage, which was the primary reason it was hard.   Check this out for a better idea....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Yeah to be fair turned it on last night and saw the free armour, already using the new shield and may move to the new armour set entirely as the extra stun chance on it is insane.

I did enjoy a session on it last night a lot more. Tuesday night I just went around Grantebridgeshire trying to do all the wealth/mysteries/artifacts for two hours and I was so bored by the end. Changed it up last night - one river raid, one normal raid, travelled to Ledecestershire and started that story arc.

I haven't even seen a nickel ingot yet so can't updrade armour any further but hope that comes soon. And I've not seen a legendary gear quest yet, but with my lust for new gear I'll be all over them.

One thing I am addicted to is building my settlement. As soon as I see a new raid avilable I'm on it straight away.

Yeah I enjoyed the settlement stuff a lot. Don’t wait too long to build the seer’s hut. 

The legendary stuff is very ambient and end of the road, but all of it is cool. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 weapons and one armor set. All 3 weapons are great, but it’ll be awhile. The last one is kinda a culminating Easter egg/award for doing everything.

I’d say flipping back and forth is a good way to do it, but if you just do the Arcs/story it helps. There are a couple collection markers you can’t get to without doing missions. So if you do the story and pick up stuff around that it gets a little less repetitive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah I enjoyed the settlement stuff a lot. Don’t wait too long to build the seer’s hut. 

The legendary stuff is very ambient and end of the road, but all of it is cool. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 weapons and one armor set. All 3 weapons are great, but it’ll be awhile. The last one is kinda a culminating Easter egg/award for doing everything.

I’d say flipping back and forth is a good way to do it, but if you just do the Arcs/story it helps. There are a couple collection markers you can’t get to without doing missions. So if you do the story and pick up stuff around that it gets a little less repetitive.

Yeah last night the Seer's hut appeared so I'll get on that early. To be fair the free armour seems good and then I've got a set I can get from a river raid quest - those two only appeared last night but helped me get my armour fix.

And yeah I changed my way of doing it, think I'm gonna get the story arc of a county done early, then go around and sweep everything up afterwards. When I'm doing the sweep up though I'm gonna need a podcast on or soemthing in the background though because going round just picking up 12 carbon ingots had me losing my mind the other night haha.

Don't wanna seem like I'm bashing it as I do think it's good, I just miss Odyssey because I loved that a lot.

Oh, also Orlog is great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJ_11 said:

Yeah last night the Seer's hut appeared so I'll get on that early. To be fair the free armour seems good and then I've got a set I can get from a river raid quest - those two only appeared last night but helped me get my armour fix.

And yeah I changed my way of doing it, think I'm gonna get the story arc of a county done early, then go around and sweep everything up afterwards. When I'm doing the sweep up though I'm gonna need a podcast on or soemthing in the background though because going round just picking up 12 carbon ingots had me losing my mind the other night haha.

Don't wanna seem like I'm bashing it as I do think it's good, I just miss Odyssey because I loved that a lot.

Oh, also Orlog is great.

Nice, couldn’t remember when that opens up for building.

Keep an eye on the vendor in the middle, the kid. I think with that free armor they gave you 300 opals so you can get some of the premium stuff, also he has daily/weekly bounties.

yeah I’d throw on podcasts when doing the more mindless stuff too.

• Like 1