Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

I need new video game suggestions for either PS4 or Nintendo Switch.  No downloads, have to be able to get a physical copy. 

I want something that takes next to no time to get into.  I hate games where I have to sit and learn how it works or that make me wait forever for the game to open up.  I haven't even played Red Dead Redemption 2 and I never will because it was a chore to get anywhere.  At least with Days Gone I was somewhat free to do what I wanted in the early going with a strong sense of what I had to do in order to open the world up.  Also, I loved Mario + Rabbids because it was easy to pick up, easy to learn, light gameplay. 

Here are some games I loved and reasons why:

Dying Light - Light story elements, heavy open world, horror, etc.
Days Gone - Loved the completion elements to it.  Clearing out hordes, collecting things, clearing areas.
Far Cry 4 - Same reasons as Days Gone.
Fallout 4 - I've played it through like 3 times, but I just hit a wall on this 4th time.  LOVE the settlement building aspect of it to go along with the RPG elements. 
Witcher 3 - Everything, but especially Gwent

-Open world games where I can get lost in small aspects of the open world are the best for me.  Witcher 3 with Gwent, KOTOR with Pazak, Fallout 4 with settlement building...

I like strategy games, simulation games, RPG games, Mario games. 

I'm thinking maybe Luigi's Mansion 3, but I feel like that's one full game of haunted house levels on Mario, and I hate haunted house games. 

I HATE HATE HATE when I'm forced to do crap I don't want to do in RPG games.  Like the chapters with what's her name in Witcher 3 I hated because I felt it was pointless.  Didn't get any XP, and it cut out t he open world. 

I also hate games where I have to follow NPCs.  Too many of these made me rage quit Skyrim. 

Civilization whatever number for the switch - too much damn time to learn. 
Jurassic World: Evolution - Simple to learn, expanded on it as I went, gave me a sense of control early with options to unlock more things as I went. 

If I feel like something is a chore, I will NOT get into it.  I still haven't started Horizon Zero Dawn again.  I slogged my way through the prologue or whatever once years ago between jobs and then got too busy to keep playing it.  I know I finally reached the point where the world opened up, and I know I would thoroughly enjoy the game, but I HATE not being able to just start a game and go.

The only reason - THE ONLY REASON - I was able to get back into Fallout 4 again even for a while was because I used the mod that let me skip the BS prologue. 

Cyberpunk 2077 I felt was pretty good at this, but I just couldn't really get into the world at all.  That one was my fault.

Don't really like linear action games much anymore.  Tried replaying Uncharted and I think my linear game days are done. 

I would consider a side scroller.  Something like that.  I love Rayman Legends and all Mario side scrollers, but IDK. 

Dragon Age Inquisition I felt way too out of place without understanding the world to play. 

And for the love of God it can't be one of those impossible to play games.  I play video games to escape stress and difficulty.  I got a game like Dark Souls once, think it was called Bloodline or something, and I got so angry playing it I nearly gave myself a brain aneurysm.  Literally didn't get through the first door without quitting because I didn't understand WTF I was supposed to do.  Like was I supposed to sneak past this ****ing werewolf or beat it somehow with whatever TF I had. 

So yeah.  Answer that call for suggestions and I'll give you a like. 

Edited by Outpost31

17 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Nice, couldn’t remember when that opens up for building.

Keep an eye on the vendor in the middle, the kid. I think with that free armor they gave you 300 opals so you can get some of the premium stuff, also he has daily/weekly bounties.

yeah I’d throw on podcasts when doing the more mindless stuff too.

Yeah I did one of the opal quests and got five opals... Was like "well never doing one of them again" haha, but yeah I've got like 360 now to spend with that kid. Just waiting til he's got something really good in

I’ve never had as much expendable money as I do now, not even close, but I’ve also never been less interested in gaming for whatever reason. I haven’t played or bought a game since I finished Watch Dogs Legion a few months ago and haven’t even turned my ps5 on since then lol 

13 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’ve never had as much expendable money as I do now, not even close, but I’ve also never been less interested in gaming for whatever reason. I haven’t played or bought a game since I finished Watch Dogs Legion a few months ago and haven’t even turned my ps5 on since then lol 

I get what you mean. It seems way harder for games to really grab the attention necessary to stick with them. I’ve started or tried to pick back up like 8-10 games since I beat Valhalla...end up just giving up and play Civilization Revolution and listening to podcasts. 

I think I need to bite the bullet and just restart a game, would probably have a better chance at grabbing me. Like maybe Red Dead 2, every time I launch that I have no idea what I was doing and just close it.

Well since none of you gave me a better option (New Vegas I don’t remember liking, @Malfatron), I’ve decided to try Breath of the Wild.

I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to get into an RPG with this type of animation or whatever you call it.

I think it’ll be alright.  I just spent 55 dollars on it so it better be.

Need help deciding my next. 

I love open world RPG titles and don't care for anything online. Sometimes I spend so much time away from the main story of open world games and forget the plot.... but it's fun to just do whatever, whenever I want. 

I've got 3 games in mind but I'm guessing they're less massive than my favorites (HZD, RDR2, Fallout 4, Days Gone etc) so maybe this is what I'm needing 

Which would y'all suggest:

Far Cry 5

Ghosts of Tsushima

The Outer Worlds

All other suggestions are welcomed. I'm thinking Valhalla will be after. Not sure if I want to do two massive games back to back again. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Need help deciding my next. 

I love open world RPG titles and don't care for anything online. Sometimes I spend so much time away from the main story of open world games and forget the plot.... but it's fun to just do whatever, whenever I want. 

I've got 3 games in mind but I'm guessing they're less massive than my favorites (HZD, RDR2, Fallout 4, Days Gone etc) so maybe this is what I'm needing 

Which would y'all suggest:

Far Cry 5

Ghosts of Tsushima

The Outer Worlds

All other suggestions are welcomed. I'm thinking Valhalla will be after. Not sure if I want to do two massive games back to back again. 

I've beat Far Cry 5 and played The Outer Worlds. The Outer Worlds was made by I think the Fallout New Vegas team? I can't quite remember how they are related, but the game is very fallout like. Since FO4 is a favorite of yours, that might a good choice.

The only reason to play Far Cry 5 is if you want a mindless shooter with things to do. Story and characters are kinda of just... weird. 

Take my word with a grain of salt since I haven't actually played it, but I'd lean towards Ghosts lol. Maybe The Outer Worlds if you are a huge fan of Fallout. Though I will say, Far Cry might be the most forgiving in terms of leaving the games for months and coming back to it because it's just mindless shooting the whole time.