Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

Watched gameplay of The Saboteur on YouTube and it looked really fun, although 13 years old now so probably not really playable anymore. I would’ve liked to see it redone or a sequel but it was made by EA and they wouldn’t be able to make much off micros so it’ll never happen. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Watched gameplay of The Saboteur on YouTube and it looked really fun, although 13 years old now so probably not really playable anymore. I would’ve liked to see it redone or a sequel but it was made by EA and they wouldn’t be able to make much off micros so it’ll never happen. 

One of the most underrated (and best open world) games of all time - haven't thought about it in quite some time but a sequel/remaster would be incredible. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
12 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Other game devs getting mad at Larian for making Baldur's Gate 3 a good game is hilarious.

Honestly, I sort of get the point they were going for, but I think it portrayed their message COMPLETELY wrong. Some of them make it sound as if Larian just lucked into everything. They are ignoring the fact that DOS1 was such a good game and slowly built a cult following. It did such a good job that they easily kickstarted DOS2 and did so well with that game that they finally got WotC's attention to be able to produce BG3. Which they produced using the things they learned from DOS2 and it's early access and working with us to make an amazing game. It was also incredible how this whole thing happened BEFORE BG3 was even out. Trying to get out ahead of it is crazy lol.

But, I do think that alot of gamers have this delusional understanding of game development and none of them even try to understand. This idea of "just do it", this idea that if companies just threw more money or more developers at it, it should just figure itself out.

I hate both of these perspectives because I don't think either give Larian enough credit. From the developers, it absolutely wasn't luck. Larian worked their ***** off to get where they were. If Im not mistaken, they were denied working with the BG title before and only got it after DOS2 was such a success. If they lucked into it, they made their own luck.

And from the consumer side, I think assuming just any company can do what Larian discredits the talent and hard work of the developers at Larian. They made an amazing game not just because "they did it right". 

Seriously though, the way developers talked about Larian was nuts. A lot of them legitimately sounded upset that BG3 was being released. I could feel actual hostility and not just people trying to save their butts.

• Like 1

Ultimately I think a lot of grunt-work level devs are feeling caught in the crossfire and it is a little unfair to them but they're also being overly pedantic here. Even if the word developer is being used in the criticism, it's pretty clear and not at all uncertain that fans and gamers frustration is with the triple-A game studio executives that push yearly releases, unfinished and buggy games, microtransactions, and all around bad consumer products.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 12:56 PM, skywindO2 said:

Ultimately I think a lot of grunt-work level devs are feeling caught in the crossfire and it is a little unfair to them but they're also being overly pedantic here. Even if the word developer is being used in the criticism, it's pretty clear and not at all uncertain that fans and gamers frustration is with the triple-A game studio executives that push yearly releases, unfinished and buggy games, microtransactions, and all around bad consumer products.

Video games will rot your brain

• 1 month later...