steelcurtain29

The Who

steelers-logo.png

VISITING THE

pats-logo.jpg

WHERE THE BATTLE COMMENCES

Gillette-Stadium-Top-View.jpg

DATE OF BATTLE : THE 8TH OF SEPTEMBER, AT 8:20 PM*

*(or whatever time they can get their cameras working)

THE GOOD
-Brady is one year closer to retiring!

-The cry babies are gone!

-Defense looks promising

-Most importantly, FOOTBALL IS BACK!

THE BAD

-Brady still has probably 24 more years of football left in him

-Even without Gronk, we still probably won't figure out how to stop [Said Patriots Tight End here]

-Burns is still employed by this organization

-We suck at Gillette Stadium

THE UGLY

bill-belichick-ah-presser.jpg

Keys To Victory

-Pressure Tom Brady! 

-Press Their Receivers!

-RUN THE BALL!

Hotties Coming Soon.... :ph34r:

Honestly, their running game doesnt scare me. Thst doesnt mean we should ignore it but it just doesnt scare me. However Edleman and Gordon could cause problems. At TE, Ben Watson and Lance Kendricks arent going to be on the field and with Bodine and whomever their starter will be at C, idk how stable their OL will be.

There is very little room for error in this game but there is a chance to have success in Gillette stadium.

43 minutes ago, Neumatic said:

The plus side is New England has been starting the seasons slow...

So we’ll probably get shredded by Brady and lose in humiliating fashion, per the usual. Have we ever beat Brady twice in a row? I’m not expecting to start now.

for the first time in a long time at least they won't beat us with 2 or 3 TDs to completely wide open TE's.

well, I hope.

brady will pick this D apart where it is vulnerable. It will help the steelers learn about what they have to correct though, but the result in wk1 will be a loss unless steelers own TOP and run the ball at will and that includes in the RZ and near the GL.  

Here is the thing, I think this game is really going to show how good or bad our pass rush is. If we can get to Brady early and often and disrupt the passing game, we have a chance.

Here is another point that we have to keep in mind. The Patriots are not undefeated at home. We have lost so often to NE because we have been outplayed, simple as that.

We have to outplay them, which I believe we can but we also cant turn the ball over at all but need to create some turnovers also. We also usually start slow, but in this game we have to start faster than our opponent 

16 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Here is the thing, I think this game is really going to show how good or bad our pass rush is. If we can get to Brady early and often and disrupt the passing game, we have a chance.

Here is another point that we have to keep in mind. The Patriots are not undefeated at home. We have lost so often to NE because we have been outplayed, simple as that.

We have to outplay them, which I believe we can but we also cant turn the ball over at all but need to create some turnovers also. We also usually start slow, but in this game we have to start faster than our opponent 

Pass rush will certainly be important but Brady gets the ball out within 2 to 3 seconds. That makes it almost impossible to get to him. Successful bump and run by the CBs will be more important IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Pass rush will certainly be important but Brady gets the ball out within 2 to 3 seconds. That makes it almost impossible to get to him. Successful bump and run by the CBs will be more important IMO. 

I think ultimately we agree on the same perspective from different angles.

I think if the CBs can hold their coverage long enough to get home in the pass rush, we can succeed. It's a major positive that our roster is healthy (for the most part) going into our first game. 

• Like 1

Very nice thread to kick us off for opening week!  Great theme from one of my favorite spaghetti westerns and the infamous trio of Eastwood, Wallach and Van Cleef.

maxresdefault.jpg

On offense:

The Good: Ben, Connor, Ju Ju and the OL! No drama, but talent, results and character!

The Bad: History of slow starts, pre-snap penalties and turnovers: I.E. the ability to beat yourselves (shoot yourself in the foot):D

The Ugly: If the WR's drop balls, TE can't block on the edge to help establish running game, and the offense is forced to be predictable

I expect the Steelers to try to establish the run and mix in the pass. A little different theme than in the past especially with Ben.  The success of last years rushing attack may make the Patriots crowd the line. If so, Ben will eat them up. If the Steelers can open holes for Connor and Samuels, I like our chances to score points and win. 

The Pats have done a decent job of pressuring Ben in the past and it has generally led to a mistake/turnover.  If the Steelers don't beat themselves with stupid penalties, undisciplined stupid mental lapses, I like how our offense matches up against their defense.  I believe the offensive key will be how well our OL can consistently move the Pats DL off the ball and keep Ben upright.  Time of possession.  Keep the offense on the field and the defense on the sideline as much as possible. 

usatsi_9636963.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Defense:

The Good: Not much in the modern history of this series.  Typically, when the Steelers can pressure, force  mistakes, and turnovers, they win.  That hasn't been very often against Mr. Brady and company who have slapped the Steelers around on the field. Pass rush is reason for optimism.  Everyone knows that Tom terrific doesn't like getting hit and pressured.  The problem is that no one seems to be able to consistently hit him and pressure him.  If the Steelers can somehow get double digit pressures on Brady (and a few sacks two - three).  It might be a long day for the Pats.  Believe it or not, the Vince Williams blitz may be a very good secret weapon.  If he can get to Tom or force some incomplete passes on third or forth downs! Big win for our defense.

The Bad: Our defense against Brady, Coach Bellichek, the Pats OL and receivers.  The Steelers defense has been picked apart and shredded by Tom and the receivers.  Thank God Gronk isn't here either. :D  The Pats offense has been in the immortal words of Marcellus Wallace, "Gotten Medieval!" against our defense on all three levels.  The Pats OL has gotten the better of the Steelers DL. Their RB's and TE's have gotten the better of our LB's.  Their Receivers have (this should be in ugly really) have killed our CB's and safeties.  Joe Haden, Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton/Artie Burns must play well. 

The Ugly: If the Steelers CB's are playing 8 - 12 yards off the ball.>:(>:(>:(

vince-williams-20ab3e1cf6aaca08.jpg

Special Teams:

The Good: coverage teams look like they could be the best we've had in years.  Looks like Boz has his mojo back. 

The Bad: We are good for holding on dang near every KOR. This moves us back and flips the field position game which is important in games like this. Don't beat yourself in any aspect of the game.

The Ugly: FG's instead of TD's.  This has hurt us in the past, especially in close games.  The Steelers need the Red Zone TD efficiency to trend upward.

referee-football-official-signals-touchd

I think the Steelers defense will surprise Tom Brady and company is a week one upset over the defending world champs.

Steelers 27 - 20 over Patriots FINALLY!!!!

Tomlin-5.jpg

@steelcurtain29 It's not often we beat you to posting hotties. Hurry up....:P

@Steeler Hitman I mostly agree with your assessment there. I would add two things;

- The last two games have proven that PIT have learned, both on offense and defense. In those two games, your D played a lot less in soft zones, and it was really only late in the first game with Gronk that we solved it. And of course, we didn't solve it in the 2nd game. I expect this to continue, and from now on, it will never be a blow out. When you had the ball, it was noticeable how often you put a WR (usually SS) in motion, then brought him back across (crossing, or drag routes) between our lines, and it was successful 7 out of 8 times, and I believe it had something like an 80% success rate on 3rd downs. Seriously, that game is on YT - watch how often third downs are converted with the same play bringing a WR across. 

- That said, our D is pretty nasty now, compared to recent versions. It's also a bit more cute, with disguises etc. Our line now stunts a lot, which is pretty new (although that might be a specific match up thing). 

Will be close. Very close.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@steelcurtain29 It's not often we beat you to posting hotties. Hurry up....:P

@Steeler Hitman I mostly agree with your assessment there. I would add two things;

- The last two games have proven that PIT have learned, both on offense and defense.

The Steelers have played better, but God-dang, how long did it take? Some of this was fairly obvious to many fans on both sides of the rivalry. Coach Belichik  is a master at making adjustment, something that Coach T, former DC LeBeau and DC Butler have struggled with. Not sure that they learned as much as I think the Steelers match up better with some aspects of the personnel.

- In those two games, your D played a lot less in soft zones, and it was really only late in the first game with Gronk that we solved it. And of course, we didn't solve it in the 2nd game. I expect this to continue, and from now on, it will never be a blow out.

Only way that I see a blow out as in the past is the turnovers and killer mental mistakes that the Steelers have been prone to doing and especially against New England.  Dropped passes, stupid pre snap penalties, bad calls (Coaches and officials) and all of that needs to be done better for the Steelers to have a shot. The Pats have watched film of those last two games and won't simply come back and try to do the same thing for a third time....Unlike our coaches in the past. (The ugly truth) 9_9

-When you had the ball, it was noticeable how often you put a WR (usually SS) in motion, then brought him back across (crossing, or drag routes) between our lines, and it was successful 7 out of 8 times, and I believe it had something like an 80% success rate on 3rd downs. Seriously, that game is on YT - watch how often third downs are converted with the same play bringing a WR across. 

That was creating a player/one on one mis-match with Ju Ju versus the third/slot CB or a LB trying to stay with him.  The Steelers have done that all year. Again, new wrinkles will need to be added.  There is no AB to have to worry about double teaming or cheating a safety to his side. I see adjustments being made by Pats to this, but I also see Moncreif or Washington stepping up and winning their individual battles.

- That said, our D is pretty nasty now, compared to recent versions. It's also a bit more cute, with disguises etc. Our line now stunts a lot, which is pretty new (although that might be a specific match up thing). 

New England has one of the best defensive minded coaches of all time. I expect nothing less than the best from him and his team, especially against the Steelers.

Will be close. Very close.

They generally are unless there are turnovers or a lot of shooting in the foot by either team. These are two of the best and most consistent franchises in the NFL. I expect nothing but the best to start the season.