So It Begins... Steelers Visit the Patriots

steelcurtain29

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Believe me I want to feel that way and I came into last night's game even though I thought we would lose really excited about the season. I really did not think that we were going to win their game but I did think we're gonna make it competitive. Is also of last night's game has me feeling completely deflated

Want a strange response:

I'm happy we got destroyed.

I'm actually giddy.  All the things I was talking about most the offseason as being a worry for me showed up in last nights game.  No pass rush without the blitz.  Inability to cover the middle of the field.  Crappy slot CB play.  Crappy WR2/3 play.  And all I heard was Hilton is great!  We can scheme safety play!  Watt is soooooo good! WR is so deep it's hard to cut anyone! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Want a strange response:

I'm actually giddy.  All the things I was talking about most the offseason as being a worry for me showed up in last nights game.  No pass rush without the blitz.  Inability to cover the middle of the field.  Crappy slot CB play.  Crappy WR2/3 play.  And all I heard was Hilton is great!  We can scheme safety play!  Watt is soooooo good! WR is so deep it's hard to cut anyone! 

You're not wrong. I think more than anything else what last night's came proved is it training camp is just an extended practice in doesn't mean a dam thing when it comes to how well a team is going to perform all of that preseason hype about how body deupree and Artie Burns and some other guys were plain so well means nothing because when it did mean something nobody showed up to play football

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You're not wrong. I think more than anything else what last night's came proved is it training camp is just an extended practice in doesn't mean a dam thing when it comes to how well a team is going to perform all of that preseason hype about how body deupree and Artie Burns and some other guys were plain so well means nothing because when it did mean something nobody showed up to play football

Yup.  Wonder why I don't really comment on it, or make comments about falling in love with PS fodder.  This is why.  Camp is not designed to make good players better.  It's designed to make fodder look good.  Lack of contact, limited time.  Who you think is going to shine in that?  Physical tough players like Conner?  Or pansy *** softies like Burns?  Who do you think will get more time?  Juju who's locked in as the #1, or Dionte Spencer who's a CFL guy trying to make a roster?

Ugh.  I hate camp hero's so much.

25 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Want a strange response:

So you're happy we lost because it were showed you were right? That's a strange response. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

So you're happy we lost because it were showed you were right? That's a strange response. 

I was braced for a loss anyways.  And I know it's strange.  And those comments weren't really aimed at you.  Just others who kept talking about how talented this team was and only coaching is holding them back.

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

I didn't feel targeted. 

I know.  You and I are typically on the same page.  I'm just happy that it's areas where some people were saying wasn't an issue was the issue.  I'm not happy being happy about it.  But I'm kinda just tired of the group that I've decided to just ignore calling everyone elses thoughts absurd, and then crying when those things they said was good being bad.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yup.  Wonder why I don't really comment on it, or make comments about falling in love with PS fodder.  This is why.  Camp is not designed to make good players better.  It's designed to make fodder look good.  Lack of contact, limited time.  Who you think is going to shine in that?  Physical tough players like Conner?  Or pansy *** softies like Burns?  Who do you think will get more time?  Juju who's locked in as the #1, or Dionte Spencer who's a CFL guy trying to make a roster?

Ugh.  I hate camp hero's so much.

I agree but you know what I still believe that to Tsar skipper deserved a spot on this roster

Just now, wwhickok said:

I agree but you know what I still believe that to Tsar skipper deserved a spot on this roster

Deserving a spot on the roster, and saying he should be a starter are two different things.  I think he should have been on the roster as well.  But that's where we had an extra body to cut.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I know.  You and I are typically on the same page.  I'm just happy that it's areas where some people were saying wasn't an issue was the issue.  I'm not happy being happy about it.  But I'm kinda just tired of the group that I've decided to just ignore calling everyone elses thoughts absurd, and then crying when those things they said was good being bad.

You know that's the thing and one of the reasons you, 43 and chief are among my favorite posters, I think regardless of whether we always agree there's a mutual respect and at least an understanding of the perspective even if we dont agree with it.

• Like 2

Just now, warfelg said:

Deserving a spot on the roster, and saying he should be a starter are two different things.  I think he should have been on the roster as well.  But that's where we had an extra body to cut.

I do agree with that and I don't know that he deserved to start although I do feel like he had at least the potential to build into a starter.  The one question I would  Pose is that if we are not going to actually use  Tight ends would it not have been better to cut Zach Gentry?

Just now, wwhickok said:

I do agree with that and I don't know that he deserved to start although I do feel like he had at least the potential to build into a starter.  The one question I would  Pose is that if we are not going to actually use  Tight ends would it not have been better to cut Zach Gentry?

No.  Very raw guy who would be picked up fast.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Dupree looked terrible last night.

I thought he was his usual , thats all, which as you said , is terrible. I don't view him as a legit starter. He might get stats vs backups/non starter calibre OT's  and garbage stats, but I won't expect him to be a factor vs a legit NFL tackle, thats just after 4  years FWIW. This is going on 5 years now, maybe colbert needs a few more years to figure this out. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Uhhhh.....Wynn was regarded as the best LT prospect in 2018.  It's not like he was getting worked over by a bad UDFA LT.

That was last years opener, the rookie UDFA actually:$ Still dupree is in year 5 Wynn was hurt and this is his start to his career. Either way, dupree was a non factor despite the garbage stats.  Watt is getting 2 blockers an getting pressure, thats more like it. This team needs another OLB comparable to watt or better. Then it also needs many other changes, but see how the season plays out. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

He doesnt do anything more than what a rotational quality backup is capable of

colbert has$13M tied up in back up quality rotational OLB's. He could have had a legit pro bowl pass rusher with Justin Houston, just an example.   

There are very few teams in which he would be a starter. He shouldn't even be one this year. I'm so sick of watching ppl complain about the FO and coaching staff only to defend hot garbage like Dupree. I dont normally disagree with you War, but even if Butler had been prepared, without a legitimate second pass rushing option, our defense was never going to succeed against NE.

I have been saying this for a few years now, and for some reason I thought the D would be better with the new players. Facts are, the pass rush is still lacking (dupree mainly and not playing Hargrave enough).  Maybe a better front is more important, but this team needed help EVERYWHERE on D, so thats on colbert  and others. 

t's just week 1 so my opinion could change if he completely turns it around, but my opinion on Dupree and Burns will not. 

we might have to rekindle the durns/dupree thread I started last year. I expected them to get benched last year 

Guys like Tuzar Skipper worked their butt off to make the team and are now sitting on their couch while bums like Dupree continue to get undeserved opportunities 

this is what bothers me the most about this team right now. They could have had Houston and he could mentor Skipper and Ola. Instead they have dupree and chickillo and Skipper isn't on the team! Good one colbert/tomlin

2nd and 1 - lets go 5 wide!

9 hours ago, Money said:

Time and time again. Tomlin does what is best for MIKE TOMLIN. Not what is best for the PITTSBURGH STEELERS

to tomlins defence, maybe people above him are telling him what to do. "keep ben happy, and the children will learn to accept that".  How has all this worked though? Considering the talent and what this team has done over the last 5 years, I would say severely underachieving.  But it's not just offence , the D is terrible. Right now if they are going over the game  in a meeting , Edmunds would be getting lit up as well as dupree and maybe Kelly (back up but still should be ready and legit) .