GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's simply not happening, so let's just let that notion die without further comment. By and large, I agree with your first notion there, too. 

You're wrong.  After I go there and make best good friends, I will be heading to Jerusalem to solve the problems there.  

• Like 2

Bears 27, Packers 17.

Thinking logically, the Bears are better and should win.  The only reason to expect a Packers win is emotional and based on years of getting our teeth kicked in.  Since I have been taking my kid to his first week of kingergarten, I am drowning out any/all emotions by using all my noisiest power tools and drinking in the evening, so feel barring a major injury the Bears should take it. 

Gotta go run some delrin through a router table for no real reason now. 

• Like 3

On 9/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, dll2000 said:

7. We have the best OLB in the game and he is hungry and in shape this year.  

8. We have a top 5 DL in game. 

9. We have best ILB duo in game.  (Go watch Roquan play in 2nd Packers game, then go watch Kwit play in first one).  

10. We have best play making safety in the game.

11. We have solid cornerbacks.

12.  Name two better returners than Patterson on KR and Cohen on PR.

13.  Allen Robinson is way, way better this year than most of last year.

14. ALL of our RBs can now catch the football and make a play with it once they do.

15. Aaron Rodgers has a stupid mustache and it raises red flags.

16. Packers are way over rating their FA acquisitions because they are shiny and new.  Elevating them to all-pro status because collectively they are better or something.  They are decent to good journey men players.

17. Floyd is playing for a contract so he is going to give you every thing he has.

BOOM! @beardown3231 We got this!

You are slightly delusional.  Just slightly, concerning GB and it's estimation of "shiny and new" free agent acquisitions.

Here's the real skinny.

We expect a very close game.  And we have absolutely no idea what to expect out of our club.  We have not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 new starters via free agency.  That never happens to us.  To say we know what they are is not accurate.  What we do know is that the guys they replaced were pretty bad.

Two new edge players in the Smiths.  They have to be better than the old version of Clay Matthews that we had last year.  And better than the injured Nick Perry.  Add to that Rashaan Gary on the edge and yes, we feel that we are better off there now than we were last year.  (And none of us have a sense of what Gary is or is not just yet.)

We got a new right guard.  Our right guard last year was McCray and Bell.  Who?  Exactly.  Now we have a guy who played very well at guard last year in Denver.  And from all accounts, he's had a very good camp and adds some "nasty" the line.  Yes.  We feel like we are better there.  And we have a second round pick as first off of the bench on the line.  Yes it is better than it was last year.

We got a quality starting safety to replace a guy who showed no passion and next to zero game awareness for a season a half.  You know the guy he replaced.  He simply wasn't playing well for us.  Good news for you is that he has it in him to be a top safety in the league, he just has to want it.  And clearly he didn't want it here.  Next to him we have a rookie first round pick who looks like he can actually run, cover, hit and catch.  Those are 4 safety traits that we haven't had in a safety since Nick Collins was injured.  If you believe our beat writers, the safeties look tons better this year in practice than they did last year.

No one on our Board has elevated any of them to the perceived status of "All Pro".  What you see is excitement for the potential.  What we do feel is optimism about the defense.  And that is odd for us given that the defense has historically been poor.  

And?  I wish you well tonight.  I expect a good, close game.

On your team, I fear your special teams.  Patterson especially.  He's amazing.  And your coach will find a way to use him on offense.  He was a GREAT pickup.

I fear Mack.  Who doesn't.  He's simply amazing.

I fear your inside linebackers.  If they aren't the best combo inside?  Well, then they are certainly a top 5 duo.  

Key to the game from my eyes?  Making sure Chicago has to kick field goals instead of extra points.  Keeping Mitch in the pocket would be a great place to start.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You are slightly delusional.  Just slightly, concerning GB and it's estimation of "shiny and new" free agent acquisitions.

Here's the real skinny.

We expect a very close game.  And we have absolutely no idea what to expect out of our club.  We have not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 new starters via free agency.  That never happens to us.  To say we know what they are is not accurate.  What we do know is that the guys they replaced were pretty bad.

Two new edge players in the Smiths.  They have to be better than the old version of Clay Matthews that we had last year.  And better than the injured Nick Perry.  Add to that Rashaan Gary on the edge and yes, we feel that we are better off there now than we were last year.  (And none of us have a sense of what Gary is or is not just yet.)

We got a new right guard.  Our right guard last year was McCray and Bell.  Who?  Exactly.  Now we have a guy who played very well at guard last year in Denver.  And from all accounts, he's had a very good camp and adds some "nasty" the line.  Yes.  We feel like we are better there.  And we have a second round pick as first off of the bench on the line.  Yes it is better than it was last year.

We got a quality starting safety to replace a guy who showed no passion and next to zero game awareness for a season a half.  You know the guy he replaced.  He simply wasn't playing well for us.  Good news for you is that he has it in him to be a top safety in the league, he just has to want it.  And clearly he didn't want it here.  Next to him we have a rookie first round pick who looks like he can actually run, cover, hit and catch.  Those are 4 safety traits that we haven't had in a safety since Nick Collins was injured.  If you believe our beat writers, the safeties look tons better this year in practice than they did last year.

No one on our Board has elevated any of them to the perceived status of "All Pro".  What you see is excitement for the potential.  What we do feel is optimism about the defense.  And that is odd for us given that the defense has historically been poor.  

And?  I wish you well tonight.  I expect a good, close game.

On your team, I fear your special teams.  Patterson especially.  He's amazing.  And your coach will find a way to use him on offense.  He was a GREAT pickup.

I fear Mack.  Who doesn't.  He's simply amazing.

I fear your inside linebackers.  If they aren't the best combo inside?  Well, then they are certainly a top 5 duo.  

Key to the game from my eyes?  Making sure Chicago has to kick field goals instead of extra points.  Keeping Mitch in the pocket would be a great place to start.

I am glad we agree on the stupid mustache that raises red flags.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, beardown3231 said:

Except Packers' fans argument for Amos is that he's steady and a sure tackler (BECAUSE PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS SAYS SO!!!) yet Clinton Dix missed less tackles than Amos did last year. Amos also had the benefit of playing behind the best front 7 in football last year, and you know, Clinton Dix didn't. Also, Amos has never played at a Pro Bowl level. Clinton Dix has.

So while it's fun to get behind your new, shiny $9M/year SS it's also fun to not look stupid, and trust me, saying things like "HHCD is terrible" and "Amos can be the difference in the division this year" are extremely stupid.

How many GB games you watch the past 4 years?

There's good HHCD.  And there's bad HHCD.  Literally the last two seasons he was terrible.  The two prior?  Very, very good.  Remember the NFL highlights that showed guys running free in Washington?  The guy blowing the angles was HHCD.  You can't miss a tackle if you can't even attempt one.  I mean it, he was so terrible for them, that they traded a 4'th rounder to acquire him, then simply let him go at the end of the season.  It isn't like he was going to get a big contract, they simply gave up on him.  2 teams gave up on him last year.  That should tell you a little something.  Heck, Chicago's front office isn't stupid, even they didn't invest in him long term.

Tell you what, though.  He's a great risk/reward for yah.  You got him for a year for not too much money.  It's a good get to see if he has any hunger left. And the ball does find him.  He's just one of those guys that is going to get 3-4 ints a year just because the ball will find him.  And...he can catch.  Unlike Amos.

I don't expect Amos to be a savior.  I do expect him to be steady and help align the young defensive backfield.  I expect him to make tackles.  Playmaking?  That belongs to our young corners and young safety.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

It was a false flag operation.

He had the mustache in preseason so that defenses would waste their time preparing for it, only to find he shaved it for the season.

LaFleur told him to keep the mustache so he shaved it.