GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

Was watching 2018 Tennessee a little this morning.  

Lafeur really wants to run the ball.  He tries to add a misdirection to most runs which most coaches don't do anymore.  I respect that.  He actually uses a lot of FB which most teams don't do anymore. 

Then he wants to play action and make short controlled passes with QB going opposite the play action a lot of times. 

This not an offense a veteran QB  wants to run.  Not a bad offense.  It works. Mainly because of the misdirection which works at all levels of football.  But I can really see why Rodgers is chafing.  It has to feel beneath him.  It's super simple for a QB.  If we were hoping for learning curve issues with a new scheme there isn't going to be any.  

On other hand Luck embraced the simplified scheme last year and had a great year as a result. Luck and Rodgers have very different personalities though.  Mainly that Rodgers is apparently an arrogant jerk and Luck isn't. 

If Rodgers is patient and takes little stuff this offense provides off the play action boots then Bears are in trouble.  He can pick up firsts on third down and keep chain moving with his accuracy on the play action crossing routes which are really hard to defend for well thrown balls. 

If Bears can stuff run early and get Rodgers frustrated and audibiling to straight passes every play this game could get real ugly for Packers. 

I think the latter happens.

I think Roquan is simply too fast sideline to sideline to run the ball on edges like he wants even he fools he edge defenders inside.  Their best hope is to get the FB on Roquan on their straight ISO play since Roquan is small, but that takes all the misdirection out of it and that is advantage Bears too in long run. 

• Like 2

I always get nervous playing the Packers just because they've owned us for so many years with Rodgers at the helm.  Last season we should have been 2-0 against them instead of just 1-1 but ARod pulled a rabbit out of his hat as usual.

I really don't think GB got that much better this past off season aside from being healthier, plus they have a new coach, scheme, etc.  That gives me a little bit of confidence heading into this one, but everyone and their mother is picking GB to win this one for some reason...

Bears 24

Packers 23

25 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I'm just far too excited to see what they do with Patterson in the game. Floyd without a club on his hand this time around should be plenty of fun for their offensive line. 

Flash has owned the Packers special teams over the years.  Here is an example:

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Nagy on Burton: We are set up this year so we don't depend on one guy.  

Pagano: Every time I blitz Roquan he gets a sack.  I should probably blitz him every play.  

xDxD....ya' think.

I'll only say this once again.

That is one scary front seven Rodgers and other QBs will be facing and they are all bound and determined to be even more dominant this year than last.

The '85 Bears defense is a legend but Nagy has told his guys "We need to create our own legend" and they are damn well gonna set out to do it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

What is Greenbay's offensive line like this year? Have they improved it at all? I think that will probably be the deciding factor for them. 

It's not what it once was when they had 3 or 4 Pro Bowlers.  We tore them up pretty good last year and should have won both games but with Rodgers playing he typically finds ways to evade the rush and make plays.

This year we'll probably see something different.  I've read that LaFleur likes his QB under center most of the time.  Rodgers prefers the shotgun where he can begin to read the coverage immediately and also plot his escape routes.  That's harder to do playing under center.

It should also put more strain on the OL and those responsible for any blitz pickups.  If Rodgers is busy retreating to his set up and release point it'll be harder for him to spot penetration and blitzes and rusher may be on him faster.

We also learned last year that he can't out run Floyd or Smith.  If they come untouched he can run but he can't hide or escape so easily.

If I'm Pagano I want to shut down their run game right out of the box and force more 3rd and long downs where he can send max pressure.  Eventually those guys will get home.  No matter how good they are initially they won't be able to take Mack, Floyd, Hicks, and Smith out of the game on every passing down and both Nichols and RRH have shown they can rush and disrupt as well.

If Pagano can work it I'd think he'd want to copy the '85 defense a bit with a whole lot of whose coming and where are they coming from stuff.  This defense has some equivalents.  Mack = Dent, Hicks = McMichael/Hampton, Smith = Marshall, Goldman = Fridge, Floyd = Wilson.  But they have to get home too because they secondary will have less help if we play that aggressively.

@dll2000  On the link you shared there is a downward arrow straight to the right of the "Windy City Gridiron" handle. Click on it and the top option is "edbed this tweet." That will open another window with a link asking what you want to embed and THAT link will be able to copy/paste in here for the video to pop up.

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

@dll2000  On the link you shared there is a downward arrow straight to the right of the "Windy City Gridiron" handle. Click on it and the top option is "edbed this tweet." That will open another window with a link asking what you want to embed and THAT link will be able to copy/paste in here for the video to pop up.

I know.  I was just testing you.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

What is Greenbay's offensive line like this year? Have they improved it at all? I think that will probably be the deciding factor for them. 

My answer is, not as good as our front 7, which is arguably the best in the NFL. I don’t think they’re a porous group per se but outside of Bak none are IMO really standout players. Our front 7, on the other hand, is full of standout players. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1