GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

My quick take -

- Offense was trash.

-The few times the Bears put nice drives together they absolutely shot themselves in the foot. 

- Blocking was bad for the run and pass. Simple twists found home too much, and 4 men rushed too well. And the penalties. 30 yards of penalties in 3 plays, more if you count the two catches that were lost. 

- ARob was good, but no one else made an impact at all. Cohen got a ton of dump offs but that is not much to talk about. Gabriel dropped one and failed to get his feet down on another. Shaheen dropped one that was on the money, several bad plays on easy catches. Just gross.

- Tru needs to wake up prior to the 4th. That last throw was a terrible decision, admittedly he forced the ball to the only person who had showed up, but that wasn't the time or place to do it. He needs to show better ball placement, 1-2 passes were easy throws that he just didn't lead them well enough. Needs to start making a hot read more often, he took a number of hits for low reward plays, 3-4 yard stop routes and such. Im assuming he can audible to a run, he should have done that multiple times. If Nagy refuses to call a run, then audible to one or to do an adjustment where you bootleg. If you're going to own the offense, then own it, you jave to k ow Nagy isn't going to give you the same treatment McVay gives Goff. He isn't in the same league as an offensive mind. 

-Defense was stellar

- They looked as good as they did in their prime last year. Amazing job. 

- Mack should have had multiple holds against him, he was wrecking their OL, Floyd got home twice and had a 3rd lost due to penalty IIRC, penalties hurt from Smith and Fuller nut they had really great games too. The DL owned the OL all game. Hicks and Goldman were monsters out there. 

Coaching

-Pagano was fantastic. End of story. Idk if it was his call or a player being greedy and Rodgers getting outside but he made sure it stopped happening. I loved the aggression. Rodgers had one drive of note, and netted only 203 yards passing. The run game got less than 50 yards. Awesome job. 

- Tabor didn't have any manor gaffes, ST was fine. Pat seemed to have good plavement on his punts, Pineiro made his one attempt, coverage was good, etc. I want to see Pat flip the field. It he looks like he is pooch punting the damn thing. Idk what is going on there. 

-Nagy was dreadful. The offense didn't run against a dime front. How does that happen? 15 runs (none to Cohen) compared to 45 passes? A 3 to 1 pass to run ratio is stupid AF. That's what you do when you're down by 3 scores, not one. Not using motions, keeping Tru in the pocket rather than taking advantage his mobility, keeping Montgomery off the field, offense having 10 guys on the field and then also getting the play late in the same drive, etc. Just terrible in every way. Im beginning to hope he gives up playcalling duties. I'm all for you being you, Nagy. But if this was "you" then let someone have the chance to be better than you. 

Disappointing game but it's still just one game. The loss stings, bit lets not be delusional and act as if this won't be an aberration. The offense will have good and bad games, this will be the worst of the bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

What I meant was run the ball with the RB!  It was 3rd and a half yard!  He had that option and pulled the ball.  Or they could have made that much with a QB keeper.

Anyway......so much for holding your starters out of preseason games.  They may have been 100% whole physically but Mitch was playing like it was a bad practice session.

Guess Nagy may have to rethink that approach somewhat.

So it's one loss on paper but it pierces deeper than that because 1) It's a loss within the division, and 2) It was THE most important division game.  To be honest guys John Fox and Dowell Loggains could not have done any worse coaching that offense tonight.

Nagy's addiction to passing the ball and once again ignoring the run allowed GB to sit back and blanket receivers and throwing lanes.

I'm no genius but I've watched enough football to know a POS game plan and play calling when I see it and I'm more than just a little tired of watching us get beat because of poor coaching, poor preparation, and complete lack of an ability to adjust on the fly.

So.....as I said.  I'll wait for Nagy's excuses in the AM.  The Trib will be full of them and he's gonna get crucified for being so upbeat about Mitch's progress and confidence.  He was tighter than the Scotsman at a charity bazaar.  He was plain awful not that Nagy helped much.

That's all I got except to say it's shame to waste a defensive effort like that with an offense that looked like they took the preseason off.

Oh.....wait a minute.....they did take the preseason off.  Did Nagy forget to set their alarm clock and let 'em know preseason is over now?

I could not have said this any better brother! And I mean that, seriously.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Absolutely not, you run all day long against a soft box like that until they show can consistently stop you from moving the chains.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Let me make this easier for you if not. Do you play 6 DB's to stop the run or the pass?

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

What type of success do you expect a QB to have with this?  This was the most mind numbing of all the issues.  You cant expect ANY QB to go out and throw against 6 DBs all night long.  46 passes against that is absolutely egregious

As you know, I'm not a Mitch apologist but people need to realize that it was a collective effort on the entire offense as to why they failed and not just Mitch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

What type of success do you expect a QB to have with this?  This was the most mind numbing of all the issues.  You cant expect ANY QB to go out and throw against 6 DBs all night long.  46 passes against that is absolutely egregious

Remember there were numerous called back. He literally called about 55 pass plays tonight (remember the sacks too). Mike Marta and Leach both felt their blood pressure rise tonight just watching. 

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

What I meant was run the ball with the RB!  It was 3rd and a half yard!  He had that option and pulled the ball.  Or they could have made that much with a QB keeper.

Ah gotcha. I assumed the play was always meant to be a playaction pass, not an RPO, matching the rest of Nagy's refusal to run the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You do it to stop the pass obviously, which is daring somebody to run, not to pass.  I'm not the one who is obtuse here.

Great. Feel like we are getting somewhere. Now go back to my original post where I said they dared us to run and to pass. Which they did by playing 6 DB's. Look up the definition of dare and you will see that it applies to both situations.

2 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Tonight was as disappointing as Week 1 last year but without the optimism....Mitch is not good and we are back too square one...

More disappointing. I didnt have expectations week 1 last season. It was Mitch’s and Nagy’s 1st game.

What is the excuse for tonight?

• Like 1