OL Situation

LETSGOBROWNIES

6 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

You need to become a Browns fan. We have quite a few fellow Aussies in here: @Kiwibrown, @hornbybrown, @Mega Ron, @Aztec Hammer, @Don Roshi, @Thomas5737  

I may have messed up with Thomas. He’s West Virginian so if you’re into interbreeding you’d be good with him. 

And even though we don’t quite like Australian beer like you chaps such as fosters, we do know our beer. 

I can't tell if this is a windup or not...Given that Aussies are basically just Brits abroad anyway, I'll take it :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s why we should have signed a competent backup qb. 

Who though?  If Baker is out, we’re screwed either way.

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Or just trade for Trent. 

At what cost though?  Are we parting with premium picks for a 31 yo T who hasn’t played a full season since 2013?

• Like 2

I'm a tad concerned, but not worried, if that makes sense. I think we'll miss out on some big plays and our offense might be erratic at times due to the O-Line, but I think the overall numbers will still reflect a strong offense.

I think it's an average line. People are quick to point to what Freddie did last year, yet also completely ignore the travesty that was Haley's play-calling. Was the offensive line that gave up 20 sacks in 5.5 Baker-led games under Haley REEEEALLY that bad/horrific? Or was it as elite as the Freddie-era that only gave up 5 sacks in 8 games? I think it's somewhere in the middle.

Consider that under Hue/Haley, Baker's TTT was 2.79 seconds (which is above league average). Under Freddie, his TTT was 2.78 seconds. It's completely identical. The O-line was blocking above league average even under Hue/Haley, so it only means that Haley's offense that required 23409832423 seconds for long-developing routes with no extra blocking was the cause of Baker's 20 sacks. And the same amount of time to throw was given to Freddie, who transformed that 2.78 seconds into a potent offense and only 5 sacks in 8 games.

I know we lost Zeitler and also these are just numbers with regard to pass-blocking, but as easily as we can pump the brakes on how good it is under Freddie's play-calling, we can pump the brakes on how bad we think it might be just because it did horribly under Haley.

I think with Freddie's play-calling, James Campen's coaching, the added offensive weapons like OBJ and Hunt when he returns, a smarter Baker that reads defenses better, we'll be fine boyos. We'll obviously address it as best as we can and I'm expecting us to take offensive linemen high in the 2020 draft.

• Like 1