OL Situation

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They left those crappy tackles on an island far too often today.  They aren’t good enough for that and needed help from backs and TE’s, which by and large they didn’t receive.

That’s absolutely freaking outrageous to me. They hit our DEs with backs or TE every play

1 minute ago, cortes02 said:

Time to seriously look at o-line in the 1st round of next years draft.  If you can't protect Baker who is considered the franchise then the Browns are dead in the water.

Peace!!!

Only the 1st?  We might want to think about doubling up on both the left and right sides....(caveat being whether or not the kids brought in by Dorsey a few weeks ago pan out.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They left those crappy tackles on an island far too often today.  They aren’t good enough for that and needed help from backs and TE’s, which by and large they didn’t receive.

Left them on islands and did not help them with play calling either like they did last year.

Overall, I thought the play calling sucked. 

7 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

That’s absolutely freaking outrageous to me. They hit our DEs with backs or TE every play

Yep.

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Left them on islands and did not help them with play calling either like they did last year.

Overall, I thought the play calling sucked. 

I thought the play calling wasn’t great, but it’s hard to evaluate it with all of the penalties.  There aren’t a lot of great plays for 2nd and 25.

I thought we should have pounded the ball a bit more, especially when the tackles went out, and ran some quicker developing routes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:
10 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Time to seriously look at o-line in the 1st round of next years draft.  If you can't protect Baker who is considered the franchise then the Browns are dead in the water.

Peace!!!

Only the 1st?  We might want to think about doubling up on both the left and right sides....(caveat being whether or not the kids brought in by Dorsey a few weeks ago pan out.)

To protect Baker, I'm perfectly fine with drafting multiple o-line high in the draft.  The Browns provided Baker with all of the toys in the world to throw and hand the ball too but it's a waste if he's getting pressured and sacked all of the time.  Even if he's not getting sacked, all of the hits he was taking today is not good long term.

Peace!!!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Did we run a slant route today?

It didn’t seem like we ran much that wasn’t slow developing. I remember thinking it reminded me of a Hue calling plays for Kizer.

It seems like Kitchens wanted to be uber aggressive, which is fine when it’s working, but they never got into a rhythm after the scripted stuff.

I didn’t really see many deep shots either, probably because of the OL. I’d have like to see some 2 TE formations and pounding the ball a bit and then perhaps a shot with max protection.

Of course when you commit a penalty every drive it’s hard to establish a ground game or a rhythm.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It didn’t seem like we ran much that wasn’t slow developing. I remember thinking it reminded me of a Hue calling plays for Kizer.

It seems like Kitchens wanted to be uber aggressive, which is fine when it’s working, but they never got into a rhythm after the scripted stuff.

I didn’t really see many deep shots either, probably because of the OL. I’d have like to see some 2 TE formations and pounding the ball a bit and then perhaps a shot with max protection.

Of course when you commit a penalty every drive it’s hard to establish a ground game or a rhythm.

Yup. I wanted us to run the ball more, but at the same time you can't really fault Freddie too much for abandoning the run when we were constantly in 1st & 20s and 2nd and 15s due to stupid penalties. You're kind of forced to pass the ball at that point, and defenses knowing that the pass is coming + our OL isn't a great combo for success.

I was one of the few who did not like trade to Giants for number of reasons.  One of the most obvious is we give up a high end G for above average DE.   This is the only Dorsey deal that I was vehemently opposed to.  Why would you give up your best G and OL?  Zeitler played hurt and played very well in every game.  Vernon did not play often and did not play well.  Why would you jettison the key guy to an OL that was marginal to begin with?

OL was given lip service in draft and FA.  Look at all the quality playoff teams and even NE spend$$$$$$$$$$$ for top end offensive linemen (OL).  Without a decent OL, no QB can be effective.

Browns drafted Mack and Schwartz who are all-pro every year.

Kitchens remarks show a clear lack of understanding.   There has to be CHANGES unless mediocrity is your goal.  Surely he should state Browns will improve and make the necessary changes to implement solid OL.