Josh Doctson & Vikings reach agreement.

gopherwrestler

This signing is one that deserves its own topic. It’s a guy many of us had as our #1 receiver in 2016. This shall be a fun run. Instantly is a WR3 for us that can play on the outside and is actually a red zone threat.

I know he hasn’t done much, but he hasn’t been around much talent, he was forced to try and be a #1 receiver. Now he doesn’t have to be that. Could be a decent option in the offense.

• Like 1

Things to remember with Doctson;

His first year he was injured and played in two games. His second year he actually played pretty good for being the 3rd WR with Cousins, 500+ yards, 6 TD’s. Basically his rookie year.

last year wasn’t so great, but he didn’t exactly have much for QB’s throwing to him. Smith got injured and the whole offense changed.

He’s coming in here as a WR3. Can be that outside guy if you put Diggs or Thielen in the slot. Probably comes out and can have Beebe play in the slot at times.

Now saying this I still expect a lot 12 personnel this year, but with him around I do feel more comfortable about the situation. I’d be more than happy with another 500+ 6 TD receiver as a WR3 on this team.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

In reality, it’s an upgrade over Treadwell, with “most likely” a much cheaper salary. 

True but don't we have to still pay a good portion of Treadwell's contract still unless someone picks him up.

I like Doctson, he has more production in one year than Treadwell has had in three seasons total.  Physically he is very built, provides more strength and power than Diggs or Thielen cannot provide.  Nice pickup no doubt and I agree should be the 3rd WR with the experience he has.  Maybe Treadwell they just flat out did not like his attitude and or personality, way of going about his work.  Will Doctson be better than Zylstra 2-3 years from now will see, but at least they got another WR, who did they have to cut to get him on the roster?  

I would not have minded bringing in Keelan Doss but Doctson does have more experience obviously, and of the WRs cut Doctson is one of the best vets cut.  If you look at Free Agent WRs around there are better players than him but who knows their ability to play or health at this point being out of the game for awhile.  Nice pickup and I would not say he has been as big of a disappointment as Treadwell has honestly, again way more productive that is for sure.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Things to remember with Doctson;

His first year he was injured and played in two games. His second year he actually played pretty good for being the 3rd WR with Cousins, 500+ yards, 6 TD’s. Basically his rookie year.

last year wasn’t so great, but he didn’t exactly have much for QB’s throwing to him. Smith got injured and the whole offense changed.

He’s coming in here as a WR3. Can be that outside guy if you put Diggs or Thielen in the slot. Probably comes out and can have Beebe play in the slot at times.

Now saying this I still expect a lot 12 personnel this year, but with him around I do feel more comfortable about the situation. I’d be more than happy with another 500+ 6 TD receiver as a WR3 on this team.

I agree, and honestly Doctson was the 2nd leading receiver on the Redskins last year.  Why did they cut him, they probably expect a ton out of Robert Davis who has ability and Harmon I like same with McLaurin and Quinn but all are pretty inexperienced.  Sure it was like the Vikings did with Treadwell, as a 1st rounder the expectations are so high you do not live up to it regardless of how good you might be you will be gone shortly especially at WR.

• Like 1

Now I feel much better about our WR depth.  Also, feel confident he can fill in at WR2 if one of our starters is nicked up and has to sit a game or two.  One wonders how much being re-united with Cousins played into his decision?

Edited by perrynoid
Added stuff!
  • Like 3