Josh Doctson & Vikings reach agreement.

gopherwrestler

35 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

@Thaiphoon can maybe answer this for you too

Dont expect much out of this guy. He's your #3 (at best) and doesnt play teams.

Not particularly good at separating from defenders and using his body effectively. Also, not a disciplined route runner.

Not as sure handed as would seem from his college production.

Basically treat him as a rookie with a guaranteed floor.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think one of the OL. 10 is a lot. Would likely be Udoh. Would he go unnoticed and make the PS?

id personally cut Abdullah. Just don't think he's useful and taking game day reps from Boone.

What?  No way you cut Udoh, no freaking way and same with Abdullah.  You cut someone cut Watts or Dillion, both could make it to the PS and clear wavers potentially.  If Ameer is cut who is your return man Bisi?

as underwhelming as doctson's career has been, he's an upgrade over any of our receivers not named diggs or thielen. 

as a couple people have mentioned, the most impactful part of this signing is that it moves thielen into the slot when they go three wide, which is where he does most of his damage. 

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What?  No way you cut Udoh, no freaking way and same with Abdullah.  You cut someone cut Watts or Dillion, both could make it to the PS and clear wavers potentially.  If Ameer is cut who is your return man Bisi?

Bisi, maybe Boone who did it once or twice this preseason.... ole Chad maybe?

I personally don’t see them ditching on Dillon.

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Dont expect much out of this guy. He's your #3 (at best) and doesnt play teams.

Not particularly good at separating from defenders and using his body effectively. Also, not a disciplined route runner.

Not as sure handed as would seem from his college production.

Basically treat him as a rookie with a guaranteed floor.

Sooooo does this mean he isn’t bad? Just not good? Because currently we don’t have that on the team. 

And to be honest, that’s basically what we are expecting out of him. He’s basically a slightly better Treadwell, that is getting paid cheaper. We don’t need him to be a 1/2 guy unless of injuries, we just need another guy that better than what we got. 

We were depending on a UDFA that has very limited NFL experience (Chad Beebe) that has struggled even catching the ball, and running correct routes, and a 7th round rookie (Bisi Johnson) who has had a little flash, but again raw, as our WR3 and WR4. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I like this move. Doctson is a legit #3 next to Thielen and Diggs. He’s not going to be asked to do a lot, but he should be a lot better than Treadwell. 

I’d cut Abdullah. They don’t need 4 running backs, and kick returning just isn’t important. 

Yeah, I think we can let Bisi Johnson or Boone do it (unless they got cut?) until Hill or Hughes come back.

6 minutes ago, DisplacedViking said:

Why not cut a DT? 6 is overkill.

Or 10 OL, or 4 RB..... or 4 TE’s with another set to return in a few weeks.

i actually don’t mind having extra DT’s. Something can be learned from the Eagles & Bears and multiple other teams constantly bringing in new groupings for some fresh legs to go up against the tired offensive lineman. 

DT’s are big guys too, fresh ones probably have a better chance and play better in games.

55 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Sooooo does this mean he isn’t bad? Just not good? Because currently we don’t have that on the team. 

And to be honest, that’s basically what we are expecting out of him. He’s basically a slightly better Treadwell, that is getting paid cheaper. We don’t need him to be a 1/2 guy unless of injuries, we just need another guy that better than what we got. 

We were depending on a UDFA that has very limited NFL experience (Chad Beebe) that has struggled even catching the ball, and running correct routes, and a 7th round rookie (Bisi Johnson) who has had a little flash, but again raw, as our WR3 and WR4. 

Yes, not bad but not that good either. He just seems really unable to get too much separation unless the coverage is blown.

Per the bold...If that's what you're looking for, you'll be happy with him. Who knows? Maybe he will blossom with a change of scenery.

• Like 5

i get keeping six DTs, joseph is the only obvious full-time player, and even he's slowing down the last couple years. all the other guys (at this point) are good in certain areas but weak in others, so i foresee a lot of substituting to keep guys fresh and play them when their strengths will be on display. 

if push comes to shove though, hercules is probably the most situational DT and can only play obvious passing downs so i could see the vikings risking him clearing waivers. that said, i'd rather cut an offensive lineman. dozier or samia, though i would definitely prefer they cut dozier. 

Edited by whitehops

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I agree on Udoh, I think you keep him. But I don't think they usually go with 10. I don't value the KR spot due to rule changes. As long as the player doesn't fumble or make fielding errors, there just doesn't seem to be as many dynamic KIck returners anymore, not that Abdullah is one. Throw Boone out there.